COMODO BackUp 4 whishlist

Please add here your wishes for COMODO BackUp 4

Thanks

support for ssl when backing up to ftp server

Wish #1 and always has been: ENCRYPTED SYNCRONIZATION

I want to be able to backup my (growing) 28GB of workstation data within a few minutes(or even seconds) at the end of each day.

There is only need for up-to-date data in my case, so no differential complexity or backup version cycles are needed. No background services, no full backups of 28GB every day, just quick sync predefined files/folders to 1 or 2 encrypted backup locations on user request.

Since Dmailer Sync development was dropped the backup-market is lacking such an effective tool. I really would be glad to see this in Comodo Backup!

would you please create a rescue disc.this would be one if not the best backup if it had a rescue disc.

+1

I would like the restore command to restore the files with the original update date the file had when it was backed up. Just restored a whole disk of thousands of files to a new directory (not original location) and all the files have todays date.

What file system does the source/destination have?

Thanks

A spyware/adware free version! For some installs, phoning home to amazonaws.com or wherever is not acceptable. Charge a fee if needed!

I wish it were possible to set password for the settings of the backup so that normal computer users could not change settings or visualize folders comodo online backup storage. But it is always possible to do the backup as scheduled without having to enter password.

Or,

be possible to create multiple users on the account of online storage, where each user has its own folder.

I’d really like Comodo to return to the older style interface. It was clean, easy to use and logical. General users could change settings and schedule backups.
The new user interface is an obscure mess of stealth features that are downright impossible for the average user to find. Heck, even experienced users complain that it’s difficult to navigate. Why did you break something that wasn’t broken?

We are constantly working to improve all interfaces. Version 4 brings a lots of changes some big some subtle to make the user experience better.
We are exposing the most commonly used features more than features that are more advanced and used by only a small part of our user base so we do not confuse users by presenting them with a lot of options they might not need or understand. All advanced features are still there for advanced users that might used them, just not on the first page.

With every release we are making tons of fine tuning changes with the goal of streamlining the user experience for all user types, beginners, intermediate, and advanced.
We are open to suggestions on how you use the interface in order to further improve it.

Restore system disk with bootable Comodo`s CD!! PLease!

Can we have a file generation number macro facility that adds a generation number to the CBU backup. I would see working something like this:

• \filename_GEN(0).cbu - the latest version of the backup
  • \filename_GEN(-1).cbu - the previous generation (i.e. parent) version of the backup
  • \filename_GEN(-2).cbu - the grandparent generation of the backup
  • etc

Ideally the macro should have an optional parameter telling CBU the maximum number of generations to keep.

I know CBU has the revision number facility which goes a long way to providing similar functionality. However, the advantage of a file generation number, as I see it, is that filename_GEN(0).cbu always refers to the latest version of the backup. By way of contrast, with the revising number, the latest version is not immediately evident to the eye and virtually impossible to to detect in a script. This is because the revision number is always increasing and, optionally, being reset to 0.

1. I’ll echo the need for a one-click bootable recovery CD creator, even if it just launches the default program for ISO files, which Windows can burn. I can’t recommend any image-based backup program to anyone without this feature: reinstalling Windows/CBU to run an image recovery is silly and I’d never attempt to get Jane Q. User to follow the BartPE instructions.

2. An “Archives” tab under “Manage” that lists all backup archives with size, location, date/time, preferably in a tree format listing differential/incremental archives under their parent/source. The “Events” tab isn’t a good substitute for this. I don’t see an easy way to view/monitor/houseclean archives.

3. A “Scheduled” tab (or even in the “Custom Backup” tab), a list of current backup jobs. Again, the “Events” tab is a poor substitute; there is no easy way to view/edit backup tasks.

4. A more viable shell extension (I really like this feature in Norton 360, an otherwise overly simplified backup program):

Right-click file/folder/drive → COMODO Backup → Include in → Backup name list
→ Exclude from → All backups + Backup name list

1. Drive/file/folder icon overlays to indicate backup state (Again, a feature from Norton 360) if it wouldn’t add noticeable overhead/latency.

2. I share Andrei’s sentiments on the UI. Simple and Dumbed-down are not synonymous. “You can’t please all the people all the time” [with just one UI] and in attempting such, you’ll likely please no-one. An “advanced mode” option is probably the best approach: an uncluttered UI for the masses and a full-featured version of the same UI for those so inclined.

Add these and, barring stability issues, I’ll have no reason to use/deploy or recommend anything other than CBU.

I would like Task Scheduler conditions as options.

• Start the task only if the computer is idle for ___
    Wait for idle for ____

I like to schedule around idle times; I don’t know when I (or my clients) will be/not be using the computer and I don’t want backups running when I’m using it, particularly if its gaming.

Start the task only if on AC power is checked but Stop if the computer switches to battery power isn’t; I really don’t want a backup job killing my battery run-time.

I do not believe this is current functionality… but if it is please let me know how to configure the backup.

I prefer to to do a simple copy of specific files and folders to a USB external hard drive. It works just the way I want it to… almost.

When the backup runs if a file has been deleted on the source disk it will delete it off of the destination disk.

I do not want the files to be deleted on the external disk that I use to backup (simple copy) my files to.

I would like a setting option that will cause the backup to not remove files from destination drive that were previously deleted from the source drive.

Thank you.

I’ve got a little wish. How about you nice people over at Comodo make this nifty app work, eh?

There’s 31 pages of posts from frustrated users like myself. I’m sorry to say this, but this many errors make the app unreleasable.

I mean how am I supposed to buy your story, that the app is in it’s 4th release, when following the same steps with the same app version on different machines (with exactly same setups) produces different results?

Really glad I didn’t pay for this ■■■■ :slight_smile:

Cheers from Transylvania!

I too wish you would actually test this software yourselves.

Backup works great. Restore Just Does Not Work.

“No way! We backed up and restored a file just the other day.”

A file, eh? How about a disk image?

I have a set of 96 GB backups that I, apparently, cannot restore. Your GUI is broken. Your script syntax is documented incorrectly and does not work either anyway. I wish you would sort this out.

Please create a topic here so we can help you recover the data.
Please also post a screenshot with the error and the compressed logs in %TEMP%\ComodoLogsFolder

Thanks

Using 4.0.7.14

Two wishes:

1. For those users like me, who want to choose their own files for the backup,
    please add a provision to enlarge the file selection window. While I like the
    window’s general appearance, it’s a little cramped for dealing with expanded
    directory structures. You may want to do this for restoral file selection as well.

2. In the backup summary, display the number of files and number of directories
    included in the backup.

Kind regards.