Author Topic: Which Product to develop next?  (Read 580158 times)

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Which Product to develop next?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2006, 01:31:52 AM »
Here's the new development. I will post a personal back on most of it.

Paul

I like that too!!!! You come up with all the good ideas. Of course I think the browser would be better if it were more designed like Firefox but with a Comodo Icon and of course advertising the free/paid Comodo products maybe at the top or bottom, but not on the sides.

comicfan2000

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 02:44:40 AM »
 Not sure if anyone mentioned this...how about a simple folder and file password protector. Perhaps even a whole hard drive. So many ask about a simple way to just right click and password protect a folder or file, this would go over extremely well I think.

Paul

comicfan2000

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 02:46:33 AM »
I like that too!!!! You come up with all the good ideas. Of course I think the browser would be better if it were more designed like Firefox but with a Comodo Icon and of course advertising the free/paid Comodo products maybe at the top or bottom, but not on the sides.

Yeah, I agree, of course my window isn't as roomy as an actual browser window which I didn't think of when I created the look for it, so I need to shrink some features and enlarge the window to 800X600 or 1024X768.

Paul

Offline DoomScythe

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »
How about the Comodo Browser? You can attach trials of your software to it and promote full free versions of others while you are at it. It would be great and if you need volunteers to help collect web page info etc...i'm sure many of us would. This would also mean you could use top sites etc...to generate revenue! Since Comodo is looking to generate revenue from free products, this would be the best way to do so.

Hi,

I realised I joined the forums a little late. So much fun that I have missed.  :)

Regarding the development of a Comodo browser, I disagree with it. Please don't get me wrong, I am not here to create trouble or to shoot ideas down for the fun of it. But I think having another browser is not such a fruitful idea (I might be wrong though) for Comodo. Creating a browser puts Comodo head on with Microsoft the juggernaught, Mozilla and Opera. I am not saying that Comodo don't stand a chance but the thing is those browsers above are offered free (more so for Mozilla Firefox).

IMHO, the main goal in the browser industry at the current moment seems to be to displace IE from the throne. And I think the best way of doing so is to throw our support behind Firefox.

Again, please don't misunderstand the motive of this post. Just giving my thoughts.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »
Hi,

I realised I joined the forums a little late. So much fun that I have missed.  :)

Regarding the development of a Comodo browser, I disagree with it. Please don't get me wrong, I am not here to create trouble or to shoot ideas down for the fun of it. But I think having another browser is not such a fruitful idea (I might be wrong though) for Comodo. Creating a browser puts Comodo head on with Microsoft the juggernaught, Mozilla and Opera. I am not saying that Comodo don't stand a chance but the thing is those browsers above are offered free (more so for Mozilla Firefox).

IMHO, the main goal in the browser industry at the current moment seems to be to displace IE from the throne. And I think the best way of doing so is to throw our support behind Firefox.

Again, please don't misunderstand the motive of this post. Just giving my thoughts.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Hmm never thought of it that way, I guess you could be right, maybe that would be a bad move.

P.S. What browser do you think I'm using now? I can tell you its not IE ;)

Offline DoomScythe

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »

Hmm never thought of it that way, I guess you could be right, maybe that would be a bad move.

My bet would be Firefox. I just love its interface, customizable and clean.

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 11:25:25 AM »
My bet would be Firefox. I just love its interface, customizable and clean.

Congratulations your right!!! ;D  :D ;) :)

comicfan2000

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 05:26:41 AM »

While both of you may be right about going head on with these heavy hitters, I think some miss the big picture here. I have used Firefox, opera , and IE.  While firefox is most stable and safe, Opera is ok and most customizable, IE is the least safe but has a solid feeling to it. There is STILL something about Firefox that doesn't draw 100% attention, it's still missing something. Opera and IE the same.  Suppose these are rolled into one , a very safe, customizable , yet stable feeling, something that has FF qualities, Opera customs, without IE security risks, yes Comodo Browser. I was thinking more on the revenu side of things, you can get paid many ways for advertising etc...while still advertising Comodo products.  If I had the complete know how, I would make a monster of an excellent browser that would put them all to shame. So far very little programming and a fairly good knowledge of html is all I have. I have always wanted the ultimate browser and haven't seen one yet.  Oh well, life goes on.    ::)

Paul

Just wanted to add this also, isn't the Comodo firewall , anti-virus etc...going up against some very heavy hitters as well?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:38:15 AM by comicfan2000 »

Offline DoomScythe

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 06:50:10 AM »

While both of you may be right about going head on with these heavy hitters, I think some miss the big picture here. I have used Firefox, opera , and IE.  While firefox is most stable and safe, Opera is ok and most customizable, IE is the least safe but has a solid feeling to it. There is STILL something about Firefox that doesn't draw 100% attention, it's still missing something. Opera and IE the same.  Suppose these are rolled into one , a very safe, customizable , yet stable feeling, something that has FF qualities, Opera customs, without IE security risks, yes Comodo Browser. I was thinking more on the revenu side of things, you can get paid many ways for advertising etc...while still advertising Comodo products.  If I had the complete know how, I would make a monster of an excellent browser that would put them all to shame. So far very little programming and a fairly good knowledge of html is all I have. I have always wanted the ultimate browser and haven't seen one yet.  Oh well, life goes on.    ::)

Paul

Just wanted to add this also, isn't the Comodo firewall , anti-virus etc...going up against some very heavy hitters as well?

Dear Paul,

To a certain extent, I do agree with what you said. All of the browsers available today are somehow lacking in certain aspects. Comodo could possibly succeed if it were to enter the browsing market. However, I don't think it would be a wise move. One cannot compare the browser market with that of the Firewall or AV. Almost all of the browsers are offered free and with the presence of Firefox, a totally free OSS, Comodo would have a really hard time. Compared to the Firewall and AV market, most of the good products are offered at a price. No company are giving away free and good Firewalls or AV without any option to 'upgrade'.

While Comodo are going against the 800 pound gorillas such as Symantec, McAfee, Kasperky and such, its greatest marketing point is that it is a FREE but NOT crippled version. That is what has attracted me to Comodo.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Offline falkor

• Comodo Member
  • The Dragon Rocks !!!
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 08:04:03 AM »
 (R)
I must agree with DoomScythe on the post of no browser .  Another browser would be fine but , I would much rather have the guys work on important matters .  A new browser is not in my opinion .  And , some of you are not thinking of all the possibilities .  Maxthon , Avant , and so on which are shells but , something to play with .  The Comodo guys working on a browser is the last thing I would ask of them .  I PRAY they do not do it !!! :'( :'( :'( Besides .  I think the post is about security .  There are plenty of options for safe browsers . 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:06:20 AM by falkor »
The Dragon Rocks !

comicfan2000

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 06:28:01 PM »
(R)
I must agree with DoomScythe on the post of no browser .  Another browser would be fine but , I would much rather have the guys work on important matters .  A new browser is not in my opinion .  And , some of you are not thinking of all the possibilities .  Maxthon , Avant , and so on which are shells but , something to play with .  The Comodo guys working on a browser is the last thing I would ask of them .  I PRAY they do not do it !!! :'( :'( :'( Besides .  I think the post is about security .  There are plenty of options for safe browsers . 

While I fully agree we are all entitled to our views , a statement as

...<<The Comodo guys working on a browser is the last thing I would ask of them .  I PRAY they do not do it !!! >>>

is a bit extreme. I am not asking anything of them, Comodo asks US, (and I did in no way imply a browser on a selfish level as to ASK  THIS OF THEM),  and we give our ideas. As far a Praying they don't do this, I don't think it would be that devistating to Comodo, not to mention just because it's an idea, doesn't mean Comodo is going to go for it, so this type of warning is a bit extreme I would think. Besides, the ideas are asked of us and the actual doing and worries would be on the part of the professionals at Comodo . I would assume they would be professional enough to know what they are getting into without warnings against other's ideas. Also, if a browser is not important, then why do many flock to Firefox and cut down IE for the security holes? Just wondering.

Paul

Offline Ryan

• Comodo Loves me
  • COMODO Secured, COMODO Supported
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2006, 12:59:51 AM »
I could definitely see some benefits from creating a browser, it could be an extremely powerful marketing tool if it can compete at the same level as Firefox and IE. I am not familiar with Opera in the least, I installed it once years ago and didn't like it and haven't touched it since.

At the same time, I can see some problems if it were created. With COMODO moving up the ranks in the security industry, any problem with a COMODO browser would be intensified due to the background of the company. I'm not saying that COMODO would create a browser that had problems, but we are all human and mistakes can be made. One serious issue could lead to some pretty nasty headlines and could be damaging to the other products.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2006, 01:17:51 AM »
I could definitely see some benefits from creating a browser, it could be an extremely powerful marketing tool if it can compete at the same level as Firefox and IE. I am not familiar with Opera in the least, I installed it once years ago and didn't like it and haven't touched it since.

At the same time, I can see some problems if it were created. With COMODO moving up the ranks in the security industry, any problem with a COMODO browser would be intensified due to the background of the company. I'm not saying that COMODO would create a browser that had problems, but we are all human and mistakes can be made. One serious issue could lead to some pretty nasty headlines and could be damaging to the other products.

What if this browser were developed specifically with SSL and e-commerce transactions in mind? Sort of like a secure-site only browser, with built in site verification and database of details on previously visited and verified sites, but not intended for general browsing.

What think?
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline Ryan

• Comodo Loves me
  • COMODO Secured, COMODO Supported
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 01:46:17 AM »
What if this browser were developed specifically with SSL and e-commerce transactions in mind? Sort of like a secure-site only browser, with built in site verification and database of details on previously visited and verified sites, but not intended for general browsing.

What think?

Interesting, this would take away a lot of the risk involved. While Firefox is IMO, a superior browser to IE in many ways, most of the companies out there still use IE and are not considering a change. With something like this on the market, it could cause quite a shake-up IMO. 

comicfan2000

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 05:09:19 AM »

What think?

I think that would fly. And  eventually move to greater things and perhaps for home users eventually. How about a parental browser? Only allows sites you want your child to go to . It could have a nice family feel or set a certain way for kids to customize it while feeling a certain freedom to browse. It could have a password protect to allow parents to find sites for kids to go on, and then lock them down to those specific urls by putting in a password again. Sort of like putting only certain sentences in a book. Just a thought as I would love that for my 8 year old. Other parental blockers don't seem to work quite well.  Just a thought.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:11:05 AM by comicfan2000 »

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek