Author Topic: Which Product to develop next?  (Read 618130 times)

Offline 10min

Re: Which Product to develop next?
« Reply #1155 on: August 01, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
I do now own any Comodo product, but I want to know if is possible to use Comodo Firewall to block any Windows 10 communication except Firefox, Chrome, and some user chosen applications.

If is not possible, or is hard to learn, or high maintenance, then I want to ask for such a version of Comodo Firewall to be developed.

The reason for which that need exists, and is a huge opportunity for this company, is the license of Windows 10 (Windows Privacy Statement), which is explicit saying that Microsoft will grab everything from the user computer, including “private files”, “documents, photos and video”, even if  “not explicitly provided by the user”, any personal data, "Contacts and relationships", any “credential”,” passwords, password hints, and similar “ (not limited to the ones used to authentication to Microsoft products or services, not limited to computer credentials, and not limited in any way), any sensor data (that includes fingerprints, notebooks camera, 24/7 microphone), GPS location (including the history), any email (ANY, not only the ones through Microsoft services), and a large list, including “other”, and anything “inferred or derived from other data we collect”, not restricted to data “collected” through the computer running MS software.

The license contract does not obliges Microsoft to respect any opt-out, any user choice or anything. Neither obliges Microsoft to give the user access or control to what is surveyed.

The same contract says that Microsoft will “share personal data”, “access, disclose and preserve personal data”, shared for profit or “when requested”, with anybody chosen by Microsoft, subject only to Microsoft opinion, will or criteria.

It also says "We will [...] enforce the terms governing the use of the services", so Microsoft denies to the user any control of updates. Microsoft can install anything he pleases on the user computer, and Microsoft impedes the user to uninstall lots of addware, spyware and other software, including Cortana (which notably uploads the microphone data 24/7), Bing Finance (which, as stated in the contract, uploads stocks followed by the user), and cannot be removed because is a “core OS component”. Cannot remove other “OS components” like “Bing News, Bing Sports, Bing Weather” and other addware and spyware.

My personal choice is no to use it. I can’t accept to give my Human Right to Privacy to Microsoft, but we all know that soon or later we will be obliged to use it, as an employee in a company, or other reasons.

It is necessary to block any OS input and output communication, Windows Update, but not applications chosen by the user or needed for work.

So, it is very important to have something capable of protecting our Human Right to Privacy. Can Comodo do it? There are plans to implement such features?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:46:40 PM by 10min »

Offline LordRayden

• Comodo Loves me
  • mess with the best, die like the rest
« Reply #1157 on: August 02, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »
I do now own any Comodo product, but I want to know if is possible to use Comodo Firewall to block any Windows 10 communication except Firefox, Chrome, and some user chosen applications.

If is not possible, or is hard to learn, or high maintenance, then I want to ask for such a version of Comodo Firewall to be developed.

The reason for which that need exists, and is a huge opportunity for this company, is the license of Windows 10 (Windows Privacy Statement), which is explicit saying that Microsoft will grab everything from the user computer, including “private files”, “documents, photos and video”, even if  “not explicitly provided by the user”, any personal data, "Contacts and relationships", any “credential”,” passwords, password hints, and similar “ (not limited to the ones used to authentication to Microsoft products or services, not limited to computer credentials, and not limited in any way), any sensor data (that includes fingerprints, notebooks camera, 24/7 microphone), GPS location (including the history), any email (ANY, not only the ones through Microsoft services), and a large list, including “other”, and anything “inferred or derived from other data we collect”, not restricted to data “collected” through the computer running MS software.

The license contract does not obliges Microsoft to respect any opt-out, any user choice or anything. Neither obliges Microsoft to give the user access or control to what is surveyed.

The same contract says that Microsoft will “share personal data”, “access, disclose and preserve personal data”, shared for profit or “when requested”, with anybody chosen by Microsoft, subject only to Microsoft opinion, will or criteria.

It also says "We will [...] enforce the terms governing the use of the services", so Microsoft denies to the user any control of updates. Microsoft can install anything he pleases on the user computer, and Microsoft impedes the user to uninstall lots of addware, spyware and other software, including Cortana (which notably uploads the microphone data 24/7), Bing Finance (which, as stated in the contract, uploads stocks followed by the user), and cannot be removed because is a “core OS component”. Cannot remove other “OS components” like “Bing News, Bing Sports, Bing Weather” and other addware and spyware.

My personal choice is no to use it. I can’t accept to give my Human Right to Privacy to Microsoft, but we all know that soon or later we will be obliged to use it, as an employee in a company, or other reasons.

It is necessary to block any OS input and output communication, Windows Update, but not applications chosen by the user or needed for work.

So, it is very important to have something capable of protecting our Human Right to Privacy. Can Comodo do it? There are plans to implement such features?

Well, not quite correct, it says that if you use Cortana it will go through your files and E-Mails so it can learn from them and function properly, so disable Cortana. It will safe you BitLocker key to OnDrive by default but you can change that. It will safe and share your WiFi password if you want that, but you can disable that. It will sync your settings with MS Servers but you can disable that. It will collect data about your Computer for the error reports, but you can disable that. Basically you can disable 99% of the stuff you mentioned above and that before you login for the first time. Only if you are an Insider you have to have a outlook.com account on order to use Windows 10 for free and you have to leave error reporting enabled...
If that is not enough, the Comdod Firewall can do what you want right now, just set it to "custom ruleset", it also means you don't get any updates for Windows so you are vulnerable. Look at xp-antispy, I think it will come out in short time with full Windows 10 support...

Thanks

LordRayden

Offline 10min

« Reply #1158 on: August 02, 2015, 02:32:49 PM »

Well, not quite correct, it says that if you use Cortana it will go through your files and E-Mails so it can learn from them and function properly, so disable Cortana. It will safe you BitLocker key to OnDrive by default but you can change that. It will safe and share your WiFi password if you want that, but you can disable that. It will sync your settings with MS Servers but you can disable that. It will collect data about your Computer for the error reports, but you can disable that. Basically you can disable 99% of the stuff you mentioned above and that before you login for the first time. Only if you are an Insider you have to have a outlook.com account on order to use Windows 10 for free and you have to leave error reporting enabled...
All that is false. Cortana and onedrive run even if you do not use them. Cortana even runs if you do not have a microphone.

If you  install Wireshark, it shows that both Cortana and Onedrive upload data, even if all the privacy options are disabled, no Microsoft account is used, and you attempted to disable both.

The contract do not gives any obligation to Microsoft to respect any user opt-out. There is absolutely no guarantee about even a significant part of the privacy being controlled by any opt-out form.

The contract says that Microsoft WILL collect your data, not limited to the use of any software, service or website. Not even limited to the computer running Windows 10. It is explicit in which Microsoft will survey you even by using third parties sources.

The contract explicitly says that you GIVE YOUR CONSENT. Microsoft does not need any other right to collect your information. It does not needs any consent expressed in any other way.

The contract says that it will collect any "credential, password or similar". Is not limited to your use of bitlocker. Is not limited to any Microsoft product. Not limited to any computer password. Not limited at all.

IT IS A LIE THAT IT IS LIMITED TO ERROR REPORTS.

The contract is clear and explicit: it will collect any personal information, any identification.

Those are extracts:

"[...]we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)[...]"

"Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data."

"[...] the content of your documents, photos, music or video [...] the content of your communications sent or received [...]

subject line and body of an email,
    text or other content of an instant message,
    audio and video recording of a video message, and
    audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate"

"Contacts and relationships"

"Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information"

Note that it does not says that it collect the passwords you provide to Microsoft. It just says "passwords". ANY password.

"[...] (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, [...] location derived from your IP address [...] a city or postal code level."

"[...]age, gender, country and preferred language[...]"

"Interests and favorites. [...] such as the teams you follow [...] the stocks you track [...] In addition to those you explicitly provide, [...] may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect. "

That has nothing to do with any "error reports", and you cant contractually "disable that". Is not tied to your use of Cortana, Skype, Onedrive or any Microsoft app or software

The contract is also explicit in which Microsoft will use and share the data for profit. Is has nothing to do with "telemetry, eror reports", and is the contract for Windows 10 (so, don't pretend that is only for the Preview), Microsoft Account, Bing, Bing products, and other Microsoft services.

Offline LordRayden

• Comodo Loves me
  • mess with the best, die like the rest
« Reply #1159 on: August 02, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Cortana or MS cannot access my E-Mails because I don't use an MS Client and my E-Mails are encrypted.
Cortana is off and not sending anything (which Wireshark shows). OneDrive is not on my system because I uninstalled it (you can do that with PowerShell) along with all the other preinstalled Apps that I don't want or need. My Personal Data is Encrypted on a external harddrive and the key is not beeing held in memory. MS is collecting "telemetry data" from my pc which is OK because I'm an insider. The new EULA states only a "could happen" not a "will happen", you can still alter everything if you know what you are doing. Basically my Windows 10 is not sending more data to MS then my Xp, 7 or 8.1. One exception, still trying to get rid of EDGE, but not using it. If you leave everything on default 10 is phoning home a lot but there is no problem in disabling that. Still you have to know what you are doing because it can also crash your machine. I don't believe that any company would develop a Software like that because it is to dangerous, there is to much that could go wrong and the company would be responsible. Your only chance is a developer which thinks like you and makes a Program to do all the changes which will be provided "as is" meaning "use it at your own risk". That is why I recommended you xp-antispy.
Hell, knowing MS they could even sue a company that provide such a software...
But if you are that paranoid use a Live CD and you are done...

Thanks

LordRayden
P.S. Ever read the Windows 7 Ultimate Retail EULA? At the beginning that version coat $600,- ant the EULA stated, you bought the right to use the Software(not the software itself) which can be revoked at any time without giving you a reason... Now, how many times that happened?

Offline 10min

« Reply #1160 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
Cortana or MS cannot access my E-Mails because I don't use an MS Client and my E-Mails are encrypted.
That’s pointless. Microsoft undeniably can access your e-mails, and you cannot refuse, because the CONTRACT says:

Personal Data We Collect
[…]
Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information […]
[…]
Content. We collect […] your files and communications […] It also includes the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services, such as the:
    subject line and body of an email,
So, Microsoft collects your e-mail, because they are “your files and communications”. It does not matter at all if you use (or not) Microsoft Services, because that is just provided as an example of “your files and communications”. An example does not limit “your files and communications” which Microsoft collects.

For example, the word “mammals”, includes disabled quadrupeds, but you cannot claim that a quadruped, or a dog is not included in mammals because is not disabled.

Also, it does not matter if you encrypt your mails, because Microsoft also collects your “Credentials AND/OR passwords AND/OR and similar”. So your encrypting keys, public or private are also collected.

Cortana is off and not sending anything (which Wireshark shows).
There is only one way to “off” Cortana and is to delete the Cortana folders and files. If you really shut off Cortana, you cannot do any text search in the magnifying glass icon aside the ”Start” button, and your OS UI is effectively crippled and broken.

You absolutely cannot turn off Cortana using any UI interface option, neither using group policy. It only disables some features.

I saw Cortana sending hundreds of megabytes, even after being turned “off”, and I didn't even had a microphone connected. Obviously it does not sends a mountain of data all the time. You should track it for longer.
OneDrive is not on my system because I uninstalled it (you can do that with PowerShell) along with all the other preinstalled Apps that I don't want or need.
You can only do that through a complex hack. It was clearly designed to be non removable, and most users will be unable to do it.

What I did was to delete OneDrive.exe, replace it with a dummy file, and denied access rights to “Services” and “trustedInstaller”, but days later it was downloaded and rewritten by Windows Update.

So, whatever you do, you also need to block Windows Update which also can only be done through complex hacks, because the user is denied any control over the software which Microsoft installs though Internet.
My Personal Data is Encrypted on a external harddrive and the key is not beeing held in memory.
If Windows access that encrypted data, at some point it needs access to the key.
MS is collecting "telemetry data" from my pc which is OK because I'm an insider.

That means nothing. The CONTRACTS say that Microsoft will grab all your personal data. Not only telemetry.

Both license contracts, “Microsoft Privacy Statement” and “Microsoft Services Agreement” are not restricted to being an insider, Preview, any beta, or even Windows.
The “Microsoft Services Agreement” says
You accept these Terms by creating a Microsoft account or Skype account, through your use of the Services, or by continuing to use the Services after being notified of a change to these Terms.
Covered Services

The following products, apps and services are covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, but may not be available in your market.

Account.microsoft.com
    Advertising.microsoft.com
    Bing
    Bing Apps <-- many bundled in W10, running in background, and non removable. They grew up to 20 Gb or more in W8.1
    Bing Desktop
[…]
    Bing Maps
[…]
    Choice.microsoft.com  <-- You need to access this website to configure some privacy options, so you sign a contract even when trying to get rid of it.
    Citizen Next
    Cortana
    Default Homepage and New Tab Page on Microsoft Edge
    Device Health App
[…]
    Groove
    Maps App
    Microsoft account
    Microsoft Family
[…]
    Microsoft XiaoIce
    MSN Dial Up
[…]
    MSN Weather
    MSN.com
    Next Lock Screen
    Office 365 Consumer
    Office 365 Home
    Office 365 Personal
    Office 365 University
[…]
    OneDrive
    OneDrive.com
    OneNote
    Onenote.com
    Outlook.com
    Picturesque Lock Screen
    Pix Lock
    Smart Search
    Snipp3t
    Spreadsheet Keyboard
    Sway.com
    Translator
    UrWeather
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live Writer
    Windows Movie Maker
    Windows Photo Gallery
    Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft
[…]
    Xbox Video

The new EULA states only a "could happen" not a "will happen"
That is absolutely not true. Only wishful thinking.
The Microsoft Privacy Statement is part of Microsoft Windows 10 License. You get his text when you install Windows, and it is permanently updated in his web page (because Microsoft has the right of changing any clause of the contract to which you are OBLIGED).

The CONTRACT says
Personal Data We Collect
Microsoft collects data
We also obtain data from third parties […]”
We collect data about your interests […] In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.”
We collect data[…]”
“We collect data[…]”
“We collect data[…]”
We collect content of your files and communications […]”

It does not say "could happen". Is a statement of fact, “it happens”. But it would be irrelevant if it were wrote “we could collect”, instead of “we collect”, because "could happen" is as atrocious as “will happen”.

Neither it matters if you can use a complex hack to keep your privacy. 99,999% of people wishing to protect his Human Right will not be able to do it, because is too complex.

The Human Right to Privacy is a Human Right. If a communist dictator in North Korea gives you something for free, and surveys you, and in exchange tells you what to consume and buy, is doing the same than Microsoft.

Basically my Windows 10 is not sending more data to MS then my Xp, 7 or 8.1. One exception, still trying to get rid of EDGE, but not using it.
Again, that’s only wishful thinking. You have a CONTRACT saying that Microsoft DOES.
And you cannot infer anything from your single computer TODAY. Is obvious that this traffic will grow exponentially.

The CONTRACT says:
How We Use Personal Data
Microsoft uses the data we collect for
 […] to operate our business
[..] provide […] the services we offer
[…]send communications, including [pointless example]
[…] to display advertising.
[…]enforce our agreements
[…]to operate, protect, make informed decisions, and report on the performance of our business.
Reasons We Share Personal Data
We share your personal data[…]
[…]we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)[…]

If you leave everything on default 10 is phoning home a lot but there is no problem in disabling that
There is not the slightest guarantee that you can disable every option that matters. There is no documentation listing any available privacy setting.
There is not the slightest guarantee that every privacy sensible activity is controlled by some choice in the GUI.
There is not CONTRACTUAL obligation to Microsoft to respect any user choice.
Microsoft may ignore, arbitrarily interpret, reset or change your choices.
As it ever did, Microsoft may breach the contract or any law, and “play dumb”, until you discover it, rant, sue. You are powerless.
Microsoft can change any clause at will, at any moment.

And, over all, there is plenty of evidence about Microsoft willing to mislead the consumer.
The user choices are spread over many, more than a dozen, different places in the GUI, many undocumented places in Windows Policy Editor and register, even in web pages outside of the OS (which regulate OS behavior).
When installing Windows, the options are hidden and obscured. Even expert users are confused. Some options are only accessed by using hidden scroll bars.
Meanwhile using the OS, it keeps nagging the user about “log into Microsoft account”, “create a Microsoft account”, “this feature only works when logged in a Microsoft account”.
OneDrive is displayed as a folder, misleading users to think that it is local storage. If they try to use it, they are confusingly driven to open or log into a Microsoft account.
The user cannot choice different cloud services. The app search automatically does Bing search in the web. It cannot be switched to another search engine.
Onedrive is integrated in the system, a monopolistic, illegal breach of law in many nations, but cannot be set to work with non Microsoft cloud storage services.
Lots of addware cannot be uninstalled.

Still you have to know what you are doing because it can also crash your machine.
No OS should crash because is denied network access. Yet, if that is the risk, is worth taking, because my Human Rights are more valuable.

There is no liberty without privacy. Some people don’t care about Human Rights, but is their choice, not mine.

Even if I were willing to give my privacy away, it is worth more than what Microsoft gives in exchange.

P.S. Ever read the Windows 7 Ultimate Retail EULA? At the beginning that version coat $600,- ant the EULA stated, you bought the right to use the Software(not the software itself) which can be revoked at any time without giving you a reason... Now, how many times that happened?

That’s not relevant. We are not informed each time Microsoft revokes a license.
By the way, just Google “Windows refuses to activate …”, “it says my license is not valid”, “black screen due to license”, and you will find literally millions of horror stories of Windows abusing, rejecting and revoking valid licenses.

If something is guaranteed is that Microsoft will abuse the consumer, intentionally, by sloth, imprudence, greed, inertia, obtuseness, conceit, security holes and bugs.
Don’t tell me that the surveying will be secure. Every government, hacker, criminal organization, terrorist, corporation, newbie, noob and monkey-with-a-gun will intercept, exploit, collect, sell and abuse the holes in this OS.

What was a stake was not as atrocious as what is at stake now. In some nations you get a dead sentence by being atheist, a victim of rape, having sex, being gay or just having an opinion. They don’t care about state mandated mass killings without even a pretention of a fair trial.

You may expect whatever you want, but is only your opinion. All you have to back it is faith. You can’t dismiss other people risks. Go to BestGore, if you have stomach, and watch people being cruelly slaughtered for having a religion almost identical, but not identical enough.

Windows 10 even searches your “contacts” and share you WIFI password! Do you really know all you facebook “friends”? If you sue somebody and his lawyer sends you an email, he is one of your “contacts”. He will get access to your WIFI? Think on ISIS making “friends” on the web, jumping into a car, and easily finding every home WIFI with “inconvenient” files. Their victims are not computer experts.
Just days ago North Korea made a house-to-house search of banned music; not only western rock bands, but Korean music which was state approved a year ago.

Too far from your house? What if your friend’s son asks for your wifi password to play with his new phone? It will be classified as somebody else WiFi, and shared with who know how many thousands of his “friends”.
If your son gets in a grudge with another player in internet, he may use that data to SWATT you. Some people had been killed by “swatting”. Google it.

What if somebody rich, influential or in the government has a chip in the shoulder against you? Do you think that you can’t be harassed or blackmailed?

Do you think that you are a good citizen and have “nothing to hide”. Do you really know how many crazy laws are there to harass you with a technicality?
The laws of Oklahoma makes you a criminal if you wear your boots to bed (google it), also if you have sex out of marriage (even if you are single), and you can get in jail for making “funny faces at a dog”. Oral sex? That’s one year in jail.
Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state. Seriously? Yes.
Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.

Not your state? Go to dumblaws dot com and browse the crazy laws of your state that you don’t know.

Note: you cannot argue ignorance of the law.

Until 2013, it was illegal for women to dress pants in France. In Britain is illegal to eat mince pie I Christmas.

Some of those laws (only some) may only be used against you as “technicalities”, and you may successfully beat them in court, but may be used to harass or blackmail.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:21:29 PM by 10min »

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #1161 on: August 03, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
.. Note: you cannot argue ignorance of the law.
Sometimes you can.

eg.
.. In Britain is illegal to eat mince pie I Christmas. ..
This is a myth.  ;)
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline 10min

« Reply #1162 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
Sometimes you can.

eg.This is a myth.  ;)
Well, I cite this book, written by an attorney:

Author: Harvey A. Silverglate
Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent

The book explains how "the average American may commit three felonies a day without even knowing it".

"citizens from all walks of life—doctors, accountants, businessmen, political activists, and others—have found themselves the targets of federal prosecutions, despite sensibly believing that they did nothing wrong, broke no laws, and harmed not a single person"

"prosecutors can pin arguable federal crimes on any one of us, for even the most seemingly innocuous behavior"
"Even the most intelligent and informed citizen (including lawyers and judges, for that matter) cannot predict with any reasonable assurance whether a wide range of seemingly ordinary activities might be regarded by federal prosecutors as felonies"
"The last time the Congressional Research Service was asked to quantify the number of federal crimes, it told Congress that it could not do so with any certainty"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:31:05 AM by 10min »

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #1163 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
I see, thanks for the clarification.
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline wsac

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #1164 on: August 06, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
i think you should first fixed all the other service / products that have bug before start a new software / service
WHMCS Module

Offline Solarlynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #1165 on: November 05, 2015, 12:21:22 AM »
i think you should first fixed all the other service / products that have bug before start a new software / service
+1

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #1166 on: November 05, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »
Hi HTB,
The trouble is all (Not just Comodo) software has bugs.
I do not want to see the end of new innovation, new Development should continue.

Kind regards.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #1167 on: November 05, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
In that case no new software would come to the market. It would take almost forever to get rid off all possible bugs. Software will be shipped to the market when it is deemed good enough. It's the way of the world.

Offline NKumar

« Reply #1168 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
Develop in Media Grabber & Download files in background

Offline NKumar

« Reply #1169 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »
Develop in COMODO Media Grabber & Download files run in background after close browser

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek