Update error - Error: 0x80072efd - A connection with the server could not be est

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Yes, everytime
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1:Open comodo
2:Hit update button
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
When I try to do an update the status column says error for all update tasks. When I select view logs it says
“Error: 0x80072efd - A connection with the server could not be established”
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
It should update
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
I have tried all advice from others in forum. No other anti-virus programs are instal;led and the ones that I used previously worked fine. I have even
turned off the firewall and stopped the windows defender service. I even added “178.255.82.5 download.comodo.com” to my hosts file per another post.
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
No
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
8.0.0.4344 - comodo internet security(status is active) (
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
AV and firewall
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
No
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
no
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:

Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
no
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7 home 64bit with SP 1. UAC is default. Account type is administrator/password protected. No virtual machine used.
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=none b=none

C. ATTACH REQUIRED FILES (delete this section (section C) after attaching required files)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have also been getting this same issue for some weeks now, only on one PC and the only issue I have is Comodo Update - both of Comodo Internet Security and Comodo Firewall (Free editions).

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Yes, several install attempts produce the same result
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1:Open comodo (firewall or Internet Security)
2:Hit update button
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
I have had to install Avast in the end for AV because I could not get signature updates.

I still run Comodo Firewall but re-install manually periodically to try and keep it up to date.

The error message in the logs is always:

0x80072efd - a connection with the server could not be established.

In every other way this PC is fine it is ONLY COMODO applications that cannot do updates.
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
It should update when requested to do so
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
I have reviewed and applied the general guidance as well as the actions reported in the previous post here. Nothing has made any difference.
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
I am not aware of any other software being an issue, there is no other Firewall software running.
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
I have no idea why this one PC fails on this one particular issue with just one application!
I run the same software on other home PCs and there has never been a problem at all. Just this one PC.

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
8.1.0.4426 - COMODO FIREWALL
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
firewall
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
No
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
no
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:

Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
no
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7 home 64bit with SP 1. UAC is default. Account type is administrator/password protected. No virtual machine used.
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=Avast Anti Virus b=Comodo Internet Security

I did get more information on this issue. I notice that when I boot in safe mode with networking I am able to do the updates with no problem. I have run numerous scans with multiple anti-virus/malware apps and nothing major found. When I run killswitch and look at the network tab when its trying to update I notice that cmdagent is trying to connect to 008i.com which is a known malware site and spybot has added this site as a loopback to 127.0.0.1 in my host file which is why the update fails. When I monitor cmdagent from the network tab in killswitch while in safe mode/networking it is connecting to cmc.comodo.com/download.comodo.com and 198.41.208.207 which is correct. You can try this yourself but you should set the refresh rate(killswitch) to something like 10 seconds and then do a refresh immediately after hitting update. So I know now there is some malware causing me to redirect to 008i.com the only question is what and nothing so far has found it.

[1]
Try to run these with administrator rights, maybe :

• netsh winsock reset
  • netsh int ipv4 reset
  • netsh int ipv6 reset

After that, restart your computer system. Test.

[2]
Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don’t see the Tools menu, press Alt.
In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
Tap or click Reset. If you’re using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.

After that, restart your computer system. Test (preferably with Internet Explorer).

[3]
Run as administrator the following :
sfc /scannow

[4]
Go to CIS > KillSwitch > “Tools” tab > Select “Quick repair…” > Check if there’s anything wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. The problem isn’t actually a connection error for my network but a connection error to the comodo servers which I know why its failing to connect. There is some malware on my system which tries to redirect comodo updates to the website 008i.com(a malicious site). If I boot in safe mode with networking it updates comodo and I can see by monitoring killswitch that its goes correctly to downloads.comodo.com. In Normal mode though it tries to go to 008i.com but since I had previously installed spybot, it knew of this malicious site and added it to my hosts file and does a loopback to 127.0.0.1 which is good but I am not a comodo server so I get a connection error. I thought I would be tricky and added the IP for downloads.comodo.com to my hosts file for 008i.com instead of 127.0.0.1 but the malware then tries 008k.com and then 00hj.com etc… Unfortunately I have tried numerous spyware/malware/virus applications and none of the ones I tried (included rootkits) finds anything meaningful. The only way to update comodo is to download the virus definitions myself and import them but that is too tedious to do. I finally just uninstalled comodo and will stick with spybot but I was hoping to use comodo but it doesn’t seem to be an option anymore and even googling 0080i.com only finds a couple of mentions to comodo but nothing helpful about cleaning any malware that causes it.

Moved to appropriate sub-forum.

Thank you.

this worked for me(i had set the internet explorer setup to default before i did the regedit)