How to Clean An Infected Computer

If you would like to know how to clean an infected computer then please follow the advice I give in my article:
How to Clean An Infected Computer

If anyone has any comments you can either leave them on that site or below. Either way I’ll respond to any comments and consider your suggestions for future changes.

Thanks.

Chiron,
Thanks for all you guys do here, firstly. Not enough can be said for people working out all these things.
I will have a look at “How to clean” after I post this. One of my older Lap tops has survived roadside IED, and about 6 yrs of ‘this and that’ programs on it along with my limited technical abilities. Currently I wanted to designate it to mixing our bands music. Installed a fresh run of xp, sp3, etc…

After a week or so the “monsters” began to come out. There is an error message when attempting to shut it down -End Program-sample- pops up and disallows a good shut down. sometimes after restart bring the Blue screen of death with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL" listed as the culprit. Anyway, I found a Symantec forum had a tool kit listed stating it is W32.Nimda.E@mm or A@mm - etc…

For now I’ll leave this text here and check back later and give this clean up deal a look. If you can help with what the deal is concernin this matter- I appreciate it. If not, not a problem- will have to figure something out.
Thanks either way,

[attachment deleted by admin]

It sounds to me like that problem could be due to either malware, software problems, or hardware problems.

Please first check to see if malware is present by following my article about How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected. Then, if it is infected clean it by following the advice I give in How to Clean An Infected Computer.

If it is not infected then try and repair any errors which may be causing problems by following the advice I give in How to Fix a Malware Infected Computer (don’t worry, the advice will also help you to fix many problems which are not caused by malware).

Please let me know what the results of your analysis are.

Thanks.

I agree with Chiron above. It sounds like you may have some kind of driver (software) problem or a hardware issue causing the crash. Booting into Safe Mode with Networking to clean the startup (msconfig) would be a good start to see if the crash continues.

First start by removing all the non-microsoft services and startup entries to see if it resolves the fix. If it does, then you can use the process of elimination to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

Then you’ll want to run some malware scans (as you can see in Chiron’s) article above. Rogue Killer and MalwareBytes would be the two programs I would use to check out the system.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: