Zones question

As an ex-ZoneAlarm user, I would trust the networks 192.168.0.0/24 and 127.0.0.1 to prevent lots of annoying popups. I notice I can configure a trusted network/zone in Comodo.

Can you only have one trusted zone at any time?

Where is(are) the current trusted zone(s) displayed?

In Application Monitor I have 5 entries for ‘firefox.exe’. Two belong to parent process cpf.exe (obvious!) but one is TCP/UDP in and the other TCP/UDP out. Another two belong to ‘thunderbird.exe’, again one each for TCP/UDP in & out, and the final one belongs to ‘explorer.exe’.

Is this final entry because I launched Firefox from the desktop shortcut?

Why do those other entries have one rule each for in and out, while the explorer.exe has a combined rule, and shouldn’t Comodo automatically combine the rules?

Many thanks, and a great product so far…

Steve :slight_smile:

G’day Steve,

1. Can you only have one trusted zone at any time?

How many do you want? I have rules for seven zones, to cater for different environments that my latop connects to. I"m not aware of any limits on how many zones can be defined.

2. Where is(are) the current trusted zone(s) displayed?

Trusted zones can be viewed in SECURITY - TASKS - ADD/REMOVE/MODIFY A ZONE. The rules for the zones also appear in the Network Monitor

3. Is this final entry because I launched Firefox from the desktop shortcut?

Correct.

4. Why do those other entries have one rule each for in and out, while the explorer.exe has a combined rule, and shouldn't Comodo automatically combine the rules?

Hmmmm? Good question. Email usually requires port 110 inbound (POP3) and 25 outbound (SMTP) and correct settings for an email app would usually follow these guidelines - i.e. separate rules fro in and out beacuse of different port requirements. Can you please post the details of the three rules you’re talking about.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Goodday Ewen,

Email usually requires port 110 inbound (POP3) and 25 outbound (SMTP) and correct settings for an email app would usually follow these guidelines - i.e. separate rules fro in and out beacuse of different port requirements.

I use Outlook Express and my rules are as follows:

In App Mon, TCP Out,msimn.exe/explorer.exe,144.140.80.10,IN[25,110] and
TCP Out,msimn.exe/explorer.exe,144.140.90.10,IN[25,110]
and the corresponding TCP Out rules for the above destinations and ports 25,110

I do not have any IN rules and I can send and receive without any problems.
Your quote for an IN rule for 110 PANICCED me. Any comments?
Sorry, I have UDP In/Out for msimn for destination localhost(127.0.0.1) in apps. Is that what you were referring to?

Take care mate
Should you come this way, let me know. We’ll have a ■■■■ or two.

Hilmi

DOH! Now that I’ve got my Sunday morning head ■■■■■■■ on, I can see why I shouldn’t type early in the morning. LOL

Your outbound request to get your email automatically allows the returning emails on the correct port, as it is a response to a valid outbound request. No IN rule is required.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxma culpa. :wink:

Should you come this way, let me know. We'll have a ■■■■ or two.
Just the two? LOL

cya m8
ewen :slight_smile:

Just the two?

I kind of expected that reply as I wrote it. I’ll rephrase it

We'll have ■■■■ till we drop. LOL

Hilmi

We'll have ■■■■ till we drop. LOL

Now you’re talking. :wink: In the words of Dean Martin “You’re only drunk if you have to hang on to lie on the floor.”

ewen :slight_smile:

In Add/Remove… all I see is zones, nothing about whether they’re trusted or not. By defining a zone are you implicitly trusting that zone? I also don’t see the zones listed in Network Monitor, but do see the zone mentioned as part of some rules. I think my problem is I don’t understand them in Comodo context, as I’m basing my understanding on ZoneAlarm context (I’m sorry I’ll try to stop saying that word!).

Is there any way of exporting those rules, or the Comodo config so I can post them?

Thanks again,

Continuing my question - I’ve just noticed that when I add/define a new trusted zone, it creates a rule which I can view in the ‘Network Monitor’ section of CPF. I also noticed that the same rule appeared 5 times (for the same network).

Perhaps this is a feature request, but is there, or can there be added, a check that will not allow duplicate rules?

Thanks,