your fire wall flunked a test ,,please help

(:SAD)

ok,i went to this site. Shields UP!! — System Error

ok,it did well on all tests , but one on this site.
here is a copy and paste of what flunked,

( Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. ).

so how do i configure it so it can pass this test and still surf the net like an addict ?. what is the best site , other then yours to really test this fire wall,

i use firefox(the newest one)
internet explorer(6.0)the newest one .
comodo firwall pro(from this site, just got it today)
avg anti-virus( the newest one).
spybot search an distroy 1.4
spyware blaster
ad aware SE personal.

i have windows XP home with SP2.
all the stuff i have listed are always up to date.

so how to i make this firewall pass this test?. Shields UP!! — System Error

this is what flunked.

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet.

oooops forgot one thing to mention,i have verizon DSL .
the dsl modem is a westell(model 6100).

Hi kissbaby, welcome to the forums.

Assuming you’re running CFP 2.4, then there is a rule in CFPs Network Monitor to specifically allow ICMP Echo Requests (created by CFPs installation). Delete it if you want to pass GRCs test. But, be advised… removing that rule could break some Net based applications (that rely on ICMP Echo Requests, such as torrents & other file-sharing) and/or cause connection problems (some ISPs use it). Thus the reason for the rule.

PS When you run a web based scan (such as GRC) you’re actually testing you router/modem if it has a hardware firewall.

Hey kissbaby,

You don’t need to change anything. The Westell 6100 is what was responding to the tests from GRC, not your PC. This can be verified by checking the IP address that GRC says it is testing top the IP address currently assigned to your PC.

To determine the IP address of your PC, do the following;

1. Click START - RUN and type CMD adn press ENTER
  2. This will open a DOS style window
  3. In the DOS window type IPCONFIG /ALL
  4. This will display all IP details for all network connecetions currently active on your PC
  5. Find the section that relates to your internet connection and record the IP address shown
  6. Run the GRC tests again and compare the address recorded in step 5 to the address that GRC says it is testing

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

(:WAV)

this is a reply to Panic.

ok,i did that dos thing to see what you wanted me to see.
does not look like the ip adress , cant find none matching.

so the ip adress it showed does not match.

when i did what you asked ,i did a print screen and saved it as “IP stuff”
that way i recorded what it came up with ,do you want to look at it ?.
if not then i wont worry too much about it ,after all my DSL service might need that to work right.

right ?.

oh and by the way “Panic”.

i like your quote
“Life may suck, but contemplate the alternative.”

or try this one, my quote, "if life scares you , turn around and face it "

Why not? You can attach it to a reply by clicking the RED “Additional Options” line underneath where you type. clicking this will display several, funnily enough, additional options, one of which is “Attach”.

Liked your quote, but couldn’t “run faster” be an alternative ending? :wink: :smiley:

Ewen :slight_smile:

I know there is documentation in the FAQ area concerning routers. Unfortunately many are probably not seeing it. Verizon ships those modems/routers to everyone with the firewall capabilities in them set to ‘off’ and without documentation. Alot of the newcomers and inexperienced don’t even know about logging into the modem and changing the default password and admin name.

Well I forgot to mention that you should log into the modem by typing in 192.168.1.1 and the username is always ‘Admin’ and PW=Password on most of those modems as far as I know,until its changed. All that can be changed and should be. Then the firewall should actually be turned on by the user since it doesn’t come like that. :slight_smile: You’ll only need to learn abit about portforwarding then.

this is a reply to Ehgreg

what is portforwarding ?. ,
whats it for ?.

the logging into my modem part i think i can handle that part,

the act of forwarding a network port from one network node to another. To allow an external user to reach a port on a private IP address (inside a LAN) from the outside via a NAT-enabled router. you’ll need for alot of thing like if you use peer to peer software or gaming, etc…

Port Forwarding Your Router to Get Open Ports (this is where you can find your specific model which is at the bottom.

they do have a little application you can buy to do it all automatically but I havent used it.