Yet another CIS v 5.12. issue

I have tried numerous installs and uninstalls of CIS v 5.12.256249.2599
all resulting in same problems. getting the “infamous” failed message while trying to update.

I tried reformatting my pc, tried just xp sp2, then xp sp3, tried going to a lower version of CIS,
with hopes of finally having it update the virus definitions…
But nooo, for like a month a half all i got was failed, failed, failed…

Im sure if i went with the newest CIS version i probably wouldnt have had a problem…
But i did NOT want the new version, if i did i would have tried to download it.

I was frustrated and ready to give up on comodo (as they sure do not seem interested to fix BUGS)
they seem to get as bad as microsoft, not giving proper fixes but rather insist you get a new windows or a new pc instead… it is not a fix telling people you have to get a new version of software.

Anyway, i finally found an older CIS v5.0.163652.1142 that actually updated fine.
was a he** of a big download to update, (almost 600 MB file for first 1st update)
but it actually updated. CIS v 5.12 wouldnt even update from the install.

i am happy to say after almost 2 months i was finally able to update the definitions to
virus signature database version 22717

when i was screwing around with CIS 5.12 i could not get past 22569 even after a month of supposed new updates.

Id be afraid to try to upgrade to 5.12 now after all the hassle i had trying to update it.

there is enough people still trying to use CIS v 5.12 comodo really should try to fix it,
and then re release it as a “fixed bug” version or something. just my opinion.

Hi fuzi,
Sometimes it is better to let older versions fade away.
Bug fixing is in progress for current versions.
I do not see many other software creators continuing bug fixes for past versions.

Sorry I don’t agree with the comment about MS being bad at fixing bugs, IMO they are very efficient at solving issues when they arise.

Just my thoughts, thanks.

Hi captainsticks,

Sometimes it is better to let older versions fade away.
judging from all the posts related to CIS v 5.12 i doubt its fading anytime soon.

I do agree to a point about letting older version fade like this 5.0 version that im on now.
“IF they got 5.1.2 working like this 5.0 works” as it seems many are still trying to use 5.1.2
with xp sp2 or sp3.

it is best to have mufti-flavors of CIS mostly for the fact of OS/windows compatibility.
as not everyone wants to have to buy new windows or computers just because of compatibility.
not everyone can afford new computers etc.

Sorry I don't agree with the comment about MS being bad at fixing bugs, IMO they are very efficient at solving issues when they arise.

i mentioned microsoft mostly because they force you to upgrade if you want support & updates.
an example is windows xp which was the most popular os if im not mistaken,
and look at what they did… “end of life for xp & xp support as well as updates”

so in a way Comodo fading out older versions would be much the same thing.
forcing people to upgrade if they want to use it. (sounds a bit familiar)
just saying.

It costs money and time to maintain and update a software. Think about on maintaining and updating a (very) old software like v.5…Problems may occur and you cannot blame the software company for this.
The 8.2 version is light on ram and on cpu, give it a try and see if the problem persists

Hi fuzi,
CIS version 5 released est 5 years ago.
CIS version 5.10/5.12 released est 3 years ago.
CIS version 6 released est 2.5 years ago.
CIS version 7 released est 1 year ago.
CIS version 8 released est 7/8 months ago.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for Comodo to concentrate resources (Time, money, etc) on the more current releases?
I do not have accurate statistics, but as you can see from the following topic that version 5.x is on the way out even before version 8.
COMODO V5 & V6 & V7 Users Count Poll

In regards to MS and XP, I think we have to be a little fair.
XP had extended support for over 12 years from its initial release.
Not a bad run in my opinion.

Just my thoughts, thanks.

I’ve been using 5.12 for over 2 years and became accustomed to how easy it is to use & understand,
i tried the newer versions and have to say i do not like them at all.

If they made a newer version that had the same look and feel of 5.12 id jump on it.
as im sure many others would who still prefer to use 5.12 i know im not the only one that uses it.

they have many versions before 5.12 they still maintain updates for, so i see no problem for them
to maintain the 5.12 version and fade out ones before it.
so even if they picked 1 version from each series for the sake of supporting older windows,
CIS version 5.10/5.12 would seem a good choice.

I do not have accurate statistics, but as you can see from the following topic that version 5.x is on the way out even before version 8. [url=https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-v5-v6-v7-users-count-poll-t103926.0.html]COMODO V5 & V6 & V7 Users Count Poll[/url]

that poll is kind of irrelevant, because the average user who polled is not using windows xp.
many have newer windows versions so sure the newer software may be best for them.

In regards to MS and XP, I think we have to be a little fair. XP had extended support for over 12 years from its initial release. Not a bad run in my opinion.

In my opinion, windows 98 and windows XP were the better, more stable versions of windows.
and more user friendly for older games and programs. many newer windows wont even run all
older xp programs or games without compatibility mode. (if they even have comp. mode)
but then again many people just like the idea of new stuff and jump on it when they can.
again just my thoughts.

Hi fuzi,
I agree 5.10/5.12 is probably the most popular from the v 5 series.
Sorry I have no answer/solution as to why some of the 5.x versions will update the DB and not others, you would think either all or none would/should work.
It is puzzling.

I do not deny your comments about XP, it was a reliable robust OS but sadly all good things end sometime.
Fortunately I have also found Win 7 to be very reliable/robust and luckily for me compatibility mode has served me well when required (Rarely).

Thank you for your thoughts and comments in the above posts, they are welcome. :slight_smile:

Kind regards.

Sorry I have no answer/solution as to why some of the 5.x versions will update the DB and not others,

Hi captainsticks,
Comodo knows what the problem is with the 5.x series, they even had a fix for the issue at the time.
its either the cmdagent file or the cfp file. occasionally getting corrupted or something like that.

a couple years ago when i first started using comodo i had to get help in geek buddy for the exact
same issue (with v5.x) the person provided me with a link to the particular file and i just overwrote
the old one and all was fine. updates worked fine for over a year.

unfortunately i never saved the files at the time (just the original install i already had)
so when it came time to format my pc again all i had was the original file to install,
hence leaving me with the same issue again. but by this time the only fix i could get was to be told to upgrade to a newer version instead.

and now that seems to be the only answer people with 5.x series issues gets, is to upgrade.
i find it frustrating to know there was a fix for it but it seems comodo chooses to ignore it.
to push their newer versions on people who have the issues.

CIS 5.x support is no longer.
Hasn’t been for some time now.
I see no point in you, or any one else, insisting on maintaining support for an old version, simply because you do not wish to upgrade.
I see even less reason for anyone to create issues on something no longer supported.
You have it, as-is; use it, as-is.
Either upgrade, or be happy with what you have!
The same holds true with hardware.

I am sorry but I have to agree with John.

If it works use it, if not dump it.

Before CIS I used Kerio I really liked it but when the Kerio stopped supporting and passed it to on I started looking for another firewall.

I still like it better than CIS but as it is outdate I cannot use it.

Dennis

CIS 5.x support is no longer.
I figured that when i seen other users having the same problem that i do without any fixes for it. but this is a community support forum i don't see a version restriction. unless its hidden.
I see no point in you, or any one else, insisting on maintaining support for an old version, simply because you do not wish to upgrade.
that type of comment coming from a Global Moderator in a support forum was not called for. A simple CIS v 5.x is no longer supported, would have been good enough. But then again this is a support forum...is it not ? I already understood that any free product is based on a "as is" basis. a reminder was not needed and there was no reason for being rude about it.

Hi Dennis2,

If it works use it, if not dump it.
i was almost at that point with 5.12 until i tried CIS v5.0 (which i just happened to have saved in an old archive of files i have) fortunately it still works. otherwise id have to use f-secure provided by my ISP. i don't like using f-secure as it depends on the windows firewall.