Yahoo page

When I first open CD, the “Yahoo” main page opens. I tried checking and changing the settings. I deleted Google, Yahoo and set DuckDuckGo.com as the preferred search. And that works with “home” and such. But when opening CD from the Windows 10 start page, always shows Yahoo. How do I get that to stop?

Simply change the On Start-up to “Open the new tab” page or remove the yahoo page and add your preferred page to open. Once I change the setting and close the browser it opens to whatever I’ve changed it to in testing at my end. Unable to reproduce your issue.

Eric

Thanks Eric. But that’s what I did and it didn’t work. Sorry you couldn’t duplicate my problem. But it occurs on all my browsers. Firefox, Chrome and Dragon. All the latest versions with automatic updates. I do notice that on some updates, it will show in small print, make Yahoo your default search. I always watch for that. So, the problem still remains. I don’t want to get into IE or ME. What do we need with so many browsers anyway? And why do some softwares work on one browser, but not the other? I use the browsers for specific things because of that. A software don’t work on Fx, I simply go to Dragon or Chrome. Some days I have all 3 open and when going to close for the day, wonder why?

Do you have Comodo Internet Security installed? That will protect against changes of browser settings.

Eric. I have no idea. First downloaded Comodo Anti-virus several months ago. For many months, fine. I didn’t touch it, other than to make sure updates and scanning. That’s all. Then, about a month ago, it didn’t work. Period. So I chatted with someone on Comodo who said the A/V was old and I should uninstall it, and download the newest version. I did so. That is what I have and use. Again, scan and update. I don’t mess with any settings. I don’t understand it. I tried downloading Comodo Firewall and went through several weeks of trying to get it to do “something”, no icon, no nothing. Again, I chatted with someone on Comodo and he said it wasn’t free? So, I uninstalled that. Now, as to what “Comodo Internet Security” is. I have no earthly idea. I’m the type of person that doesn’t want to be downloading tons of stuff. My HD is getting too full. I have deleted pictures and videos just to get room. As for whoever is changing my browser settings, I KNOW it’s Yahoo. They are so intrusive that they get their stuff into anything they can get into. Yahoo Groups is a joke. Going downhill in a hurry. Many groups in Yahoo are going elsewhere/groups.io. All I want is to keep Yahoo out of my PC. So I ask: is IS separate from the A/V? And is that a separate download? And is it free?

Comodo Firewall or AV or Internet Security are free. The paid versions have additional services for which you pay. Both the free and paid versions of the Firewall AV or IS are the same.

The Geekbuddy(?) was either misinforming you or he or she might have been referring you to Geekbuddy service its self. Anyway, the Comodo AV is free like the Firewall or Internet Security suite.

Now, as to what "Comodo Internet Security" is. I have no earthly idea. I'm the type of person that doesn't want to be downloading tons of stuff. My HD is getting too full. I have deleted pictures and videos just to get room. As for whoever is changing my browser settings, I KNOW it's Yahoo. They are so intrusive that they get their stuff into anything they can get into. Yahoo Groups is a joke. Going downhill in a hurry. Many groups in Yahoo are going elsewhere/groups.io. All I want is to keep Yahoo out of my PC. So I ask: is IS separate from the A/V? And is that a separate download? And is it free?
The Internet Security suite with default settings is very quiet.

But to address the problem with homepage of CID browser. When installing CAV or CF or CIS it will set Yahoo as the homepage of your browsers. To change your homepage go to the upper right corner when ID is running. Click on the button with the three horizontal dashes and go to Settings. Under General look for when IceDragon starts. See attached image. Now you can choose what ID does when it starts up and will allow you to remove Yahoo as home page of your browser.

I do not want Yahoo as my default search engine and I do not want Yahoo to be my start page. For some strange reason, when I go to settings, I can change my preferences but cannot save them, as there is no “done,” “save,” or “finished” buttons. It seems that Yahoo has hijacked CD. Do I have to delete and reinstall?

I tried and indeed you are right. I cannot change the start page either. I changed to continue where I left off but that didn’t work. Just changing a setting is enough to register the changed setting; an OK, Done or Finished button is not needed.

Could you please file a bug report in the bug section following the required format? It only takes a couple to do so and will help Comodo to fix things.

I have exactly the same problem. The page it opens is

https://us.yahoo.com/?fr=fpc-comodo&type=19_25050030001_hp_65.0.3325.146

I tried deleting and reinstalling comodo dragon, I tried searching with spybot, malwarebytes, comodo antivirus and windows defender, none of which detected anything. Tried scanning in safemode too.

I have no idea where did I get it in the first place, since I was using facebook and tumblr only.
Home page is OK, the problem is comodo is set to open new tab page, which is set to be empty. Only it is not empty anymore, it is set to yahoo… I guess something edited either some registry or something in the code of comodo…
I installed chrome after it happened, was not using it before, and it does not happen in Chrome. Neither in IceDragon or Safari. Only in Comodo Dragon.

Same here.

Just installed the update this morning to 65.0.3325.147 and now it will open Yahoo every time. If I set it to open a specific page, (i.e. google.co.nz) it does. If I then set it back to open the new tab page it opens Yahoo.

My home button is set to new tab, and after opening yahoo, if I click home, it opens the new tab page. Just seems the “new tab page” on startup is not working.

Cheers.

Hi,

I had the same issue with latest release but I think I solved it.

Try to open a specific website when you start the browser (in settings: chrome://settings/onStartup ) then,
enter chrome://newtab/ there.

See screenshot

https://vgy.me/X2MgRS.jpg

This is temporary solution for this problem.

Yep - that worked - Thanks. :smiley:

That was the first thing I did when I noticed the yahoo change as I thought they just changed the default page.
I’ve noticed that it doesn’t actually solve things though. If you click on the exe to launch another instance instead of using a new tab (say you’re watching a vid on another screen and want a new window), the new window opens to yahoo.
I’m assuming at this point that Comodo is in some way getting something for this since it seems to be a referral (why else have the link like that?). If so, it’s one thing to do it and make it easily changed while also letting the users know what you’re doing, but it’s quite another for it to be this forced.

There are 2 prospects for this issue.

1- Comodo never tests its build before the public release! There are too many funny bugs in the browser (never ending stories!)

2 - Comodo maintains the browser only for marketing, they tried to get more users on browser section. I see no point to use Dragon or IceDragon. There is no indispensable security or privacy feature that Dragon offers, so what’s the point?

Developers may answer these questions but I do not use the Comodo’s browser. There are updating & developing browsers around.
Above words are my 2 cents.

Been tempted to switch back to Firefox, but haven’t since I’m having an issue where it’ll randomly eat up all my ram.
Think it’s related to flash (I’ll need it till the few places still using it that I visit are forced to switch to html5 when the plug is pulled on it for good).
Between this Yahoo issue and pages randomly crashing for no good reason in this build, the temptation is strong to just do it.