XP SP2 Event Log warnings revisited

Back in July, I joined a thread about getting the following warning message in my Event Log when Windows shuts down:

“Windows saved user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user’s registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.”

The problem seemed to go away after installing CPF 2.3.4.45. But, with 2.3.5.62, the problem is back, and now even uninstalling the newer version and cleaning both the registry and the WMI repository before reverting to the older 2.3.4.45 won’t get rid of it. User Profile Hive Cleanup will suppress the warning icon, but it does record a message about the problem in Event Viewer.

I’m running XP SP2, and the only other memory-resident software that might conflict with CPF is AVG Free (in fact, that is the only other non-XP software running at startup). I have used the “skip advanced checks” option in CPF on all AVG files, though, and all XP services are set to their startup defaults except TCP/IP NetBios Helper, SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host, which are disabled. The Windows Firewall service is running, but the XP firewall itself is set to “off” (and even disabling the service doesn’t fix the problem). Neither does unchecking CPF’s “Protect the registry…” setting help. As soon as I uninstall CPF, the offending messages go away.

As of now, I have ininstalled CPF and am relying on the Windows firewall and the firewall in my router for security.

Just thought I’d revive an old issue, and ask for any ideas that may be out there.

Hi Crashman,
I was in that topic too, but on my system the warnings are gone. Also running XP sp 2.
That’s to say: I do have those warnings too, but they have nothing to do with CPF. For me that was fixed with the latest build.

Peter