XP OS Lockup with new version of Comodo

Since I installed the latest version of Comodo on my system, my computer has been locking up during the inital desktop loading sequence.

Sometimes the lockup also takes place shortly after I go on line. Typically I will be updating antivirus software (such as Malwarebytes) and Comodo. I may also have a browser window open (usually Firefox).

I have had this lockup take place also after clicking on the Start Menu as the desktop initialises in XP Pro.

This lockup appears to be most likely to take place shortly after I have begun an active session.

My computer has either XP Pro Sp2 or Home XP Sp2 with DX-10, 2.8 gyg CPU w/ 1 gyg Memory. I have few other software devices operating other than the most basic system devices and WinPatrol, Win-Auto-Update and Total Media Monitor. These are the same devices which were operating with the previous version of Comodo and did not have this problem until after I updated my system to operate the most recent version of Comodo Internet Security. I have the Antivirus and Firewall modules operating and have disabled Defense Plus as it has previously caused me problems. System is clean and well maintained and supposedly trojan-virus free.

Try placing Defense+ in training mode, and reboot and place Defense+ back to the previous mode.

Hi,
When you said that you have disabled D+, I hope you meant about disabling it permanently. If not check after disabling D+ permanently. If it doesn’t help, you can follow the below mentioned steps and update us with the results.

1. Uninstall All The Security Softwares Including CIS On Your System
  2. Check Whether You System Is Freezing Now. If It’s Not Freezing, Then Do A Fresh Install Of CIS 3.9
  3. After Installing CIS Check Whether You System Is Freezing. If It’s Not Freezing Then Install Your Rest Of The Security Softwares
  4. If Its Freezing After Installing Your rest Of The Security Applications, Then It Might Be A Conflict Of That Application With CIS.

I believe that one can pretty much feel certain that the incompatibility (if that is the case) is between the newer version of Comodo Internet Security and any other software which had been installed on my machine with the previous version of Comodo Personal Firewall had not been a problem prior to installing the most recent update. I have also previously noted several occurences of problems which were related to Defense+ locking my system from installing any approved files, this includes files from Microsoft Windows Update. Therefore I had completely disabled that portion of Comodo until a later date.

Because I am on a dialup server and because Comodo Internet Security is now so large (including the followup update that is required after the initial installation) I would prefer not to rush towards removing all of my previous software that never caused a problem before this update as well as the removal and reinstallation of Comodo Internet Security. I think… you can probably understand that.

In the meantime something did occur to me. Particularly since my start menu was freezing after boot up (along with about everything else) it occured to me that perhaps the designers of this newer version had not spent a lot of time trying out this software on computers with a dialup connection. The size, in and of itself of the newer version, tends to imply that the designers think most people have a high speed internet connection. So I have disabled all of the auto update features of Comodo. This is not a problem as I have always updated all of my security software as my first task when I went on line. I teach exactly the same thing to anyone I know that has a computer. This appears to have resolved the problem, but I will have to watch for a few days to be certain. (It’s sometimes the simple things that kill you, after all.)

In the meantime, thanks for your reply. I suppose that your suggestions would be the next steps to follow if this current tactic fails, but as of today what I have done seems to be working.

Try disabling WinPatrol, Win-Auto-Update and Total Media Monitor and see if that helps or not. If it helps try enabling one by one until it breaks.

Hi,
I have discovered that this lockup can be eliminated by disabling the auto-update feature, but it has to be disabled across the board. The same lockup takes place on my computer when I try to run a scan, if the auto-update has not been disabled.
I always update manually so that this scenario is not a problem for me, but I am wondering if any one else is suffering from this issue with this new version of Comodo Internet Security.

I agree with dionisiog that the problem occurs when (virus signature) updating is taking place.

It causes the PC to lock up for long periods of time. Cmdagent uses a lot of memory (peaking at 166MB on a 256MB PC). Anvir Task Manager also shows 100% disk usage for long periods, although I suspect CIS-initiated system I/O (pagefile use?) may be the main culprit.

Cmdagent does tend to take a lot of resources when updaing I noticed last night when went to ■■■■ some dust of my XP install (Win7 RC is my default OS). But it starts a couple of minutes after the desktop showed up/ I will keep an eye out for its behaviour on Win 7 RC.

I have 1 GB of RAM and on XP I saw cmdagent use between grossly 200 and 250 MB of memory with 250 MB being short lived peaks.

When updating the virus database (after the first bootup of the day), our 256 MB PC locked up for over 30 minutes !!!

Something urgently needs to be done to reduce the amount of resources used by cmdagent during this process.

yeah you need more ran. What kind of pc has 256MB, even XP needs at least 512MB to run smoothly. Vista Needs at least 1GB. What speed ram are you using?

256 MB works fairly well with XP.

Grahamcopley. How is your virtual memory set? What processor and RAM (SDRAM or DDR) is in your system?

Virtual Memory : Minimum Size = 512 MB, Maximum Size = 512 MB
Processor: 1.9GHz P4
RAM: 1 x 256MB PC2100 DDR, 100MHz FSB.

On first virus database update today, lockup lasted ~7 minutes (subsequent update lockups usually last ~5 m).

First daily update lockup lasts 1 min on another PC (Virtual Memory: C: Min= 2, Max= 1024
D: Min= 1024, Max= 1024
Processor: 2.8GHz P4
RAM: 1 x 512MB PC3200 DDR, 133MHz FSB).

On both PC’s high System I/O (with high RAM usage) appears to cause the problem.

After the first bootup today, the first virus database update locked up the PC for 3 minutes.

The problem is DEFINITELY caused by the virus database update process -
which used 20-50% cpu, 192MB memory (out of 256MB), 86 MB/s disk I/O.

I’ve noticed that the …\scanners\bases.cav is 93MB and updated/rewritten. If the process is reading/writing a file of this size, might this account for the lockup? - especially if it does it several times during the process.
(I’ve noticed a similar lockup when my defragger moves similar sized files).

I am sorry that it has taken such a long time to get back to reply to this. It is obvious that this is not an uncommon problem with the new version of Comodo Internet Security.
First of all, I can now say that disabling the automatic update in CIS which I would accomplish by going into the Scanner setting modes (there are several of these) does not eliminate this problem.
Secondly, for those contemplating the power and abilities of the system which I am using, it has a 2.53 ghz CPU and 1.25 gygabytes of ram available. I run without virtual memory and my system usually runs circles around most of the computer systems which I have encountered. It is very clean and has almost anything unnecessary disabled. It is not a low-end system, I do not run mp3, real audio, messenger, or any simular programs in my bootup.
I can be ‘sort of’ a power user, so in the past it might be likely for me to immediately boot up 4 or five applications as the desktop settles in. I think it unlikely that the amount of memory required by the updating process of CIS would be as much as these various applications. In spite of this my system was not locking up in any way. I have a reasonable understanding of the requirements of software for system resources and such, therefore I usually can understand pretty quickly if I am being foolish in my requests towards my computer system.
The one application which I now might be likely to quickly boot as the desktop settles is the dialup connection interface. I am thinking that this is the type of program that might easily draw a lot of attention from CIS.
Since the installation of the latest version of Comodo Internet Security I have also experienced a start menu lockup phenomenom if I try to do much of anything as the desktop boots. This tends to make me think that some program is fighting Windows for hierarchy in the loading process, and Windows doesn’t like this at all. But what do I know?
I will attempt to disable Windows Update (which I had set to ‘notify’) and Winpatrol temporarily as I have been advised to do. Then I will get back to you if I see any changes, or report if this problem is still a problem.

I disagree about the virtual memory, I have usually found that my systems have always run much better without virtual memory, and this tends to be my standard operating procedure. I do not believe this is an issue although it does seem as if this newest version of Comodo requests more active memory, so one is going to notice a shortage of memory if there is not enough available. From the looks of other responses which have popped up here, others utilizing virtual memory appear to be experiencing the same problems. It would seem to imply that there are a few bugs to work out here to make the software either more compatible or more efficient. Comodo is obviously trying to do much more with this product than it has ever attempted in the past. I would also expect that some programming problems might be present in a new product, and this one is very ambitous in the breadth of the services which it is trying to do all at once in a unified software suite.
That said, my update:
DEP has been shut off since the beginning of my installation, it seems like a work in progress to me. I have to admit I have never been big on automatic backup services… System restore has been a no go from the start on my Windows systems.
Shutting off Winpatrol and Windows Update seemed to take some strain off the system. These programs did not ever appear to pose as a strain on the system before this current version of Comodo Internet Security was installed, and they have been on my systems for years.
Today I am plugging Windows Update back in, and later I will try to add Winpatrol back in. I will say that it seems that systems that I have seen running this newer version of Comodo Internet Security seem to be running under a bit of a strain even if they are not locking up. I have started initiating the WFP on these systems to see if that might somehow restore some of the lost speed and efficiency that I have witnessed on some systems running the CIS service.
One more observation:
Coincidental or not, My system running WIndows XP Pro appears to be the one most affected as compared to my installation of CIS in Windows Home XP. Considering the number of other software products that end up interfacing with your system on a given installation, this difference may be a deceptive observation.

CIS 3.9 (including Safesurf toolbar bundle and D+ Shellcode protection enabled) running fine here with DEP (optout) enabled on XP SP3 32bit.

Right, unfortunately I can confirm the things mentioned in this thread.
My computer, Windows XP SP3 32 bit, locks up nearly each time it is started up. I sometimes have the start menu frozen as was reported earlier in this thread.
The antivirus update process takes up to much time (sometimes more than 30 minutes).
The virtual memory is set at 1.5 times the physical memory.
DEP is switched off always.

So this is not too good. CIS has big issues on XP systems.

I’ve exploreed this problem, extensibly, as I run several workstations using Comodo. I’ve also experienced this problem (slow booting, seems to lockup once you logo on) as well as the most recent version.

What I’ve found is that the cmdagent.exe (SERVICE component) can be set to disabled or manual startup using the SAFE MODE. Then do a regular boot and start the service after logging on. The system should run fast until next reboot. On some workstations, this action ‘fixed’ the problem. On one, box, however, a laptop, I can not get the machine to run at a decent speed without disabling the service startup and re-enabling it after bootup.

There seems to be a tremendous load placed on the box when the service starts. It seems to have nothing to do with settings of CIS. On a few machines, the problem has resolved itself. On the one mentioned laptop, I still pull my hair out.

I hope that this post catches the attention of the programmers.

I’ve found a workaround for this problem.
The solution (in my case, that is…) is adding the pagefile to the exceptions of the antivirus program.

On systems short of memory extensive use of the pagefile is apparently involved in updating the virus definitions. When on access scanning is activated this results in more or less continuous reading, writing and subsequently scanning of the pagefile.

Very interesting finding. How did you figure this out? Just being curious.(:NRD)