Xbox (XBMC) to PC doesn't work (RESOLVED)

I use XBMC to stream music and video stored on my PC but I can;t get it to access the PC with Comodo. I can FTP the XBOX from the PC though. The xbox has a static IP. I have set the following zone.
Zone Name: Home LAN
Start Range: 192.168.1.0
End Range: 192.168.1.255

I then set up the following rules:
IN
Action: Allow
Protocol: IP
Direction: In
Source: Zone: Home LAN
Destination: Any
IP Details: Any

OUT
Action: Allow
Protocol: IP
Direction: Out
Source Zone: Home LAN
Destination: Zone Home LAN
IP Details: ANY

I’ve flagged both IN and OUT rules to fire an alert but nothing occurs, and no activity is seen in the log. I’ve had it working with zonealarm and more recently the set up worked with Look ‘N’ Stop as athe firewall with a computer to computer rule. If this can’t be solved I’m afraid it’s back to Look ‘N’ Stop for me. Thanks in advance.

Can you please post a screen shot of your Network Monitor rules?

Thanks for the reply. Here’s a screengrab of the rules I’m using.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I can’t see anything wrong with your Zone rules. So, I’ll leave this to someone else who knows more about X-Box connecting than I do (which is nothing).

But, whilst you’re waiting I did dig this post up, that may or may not be of help.

BTW I can’t see the port & this has nothing to do with your X-Box connection issue. But, rule 2 looks very iffy… Allow TCP/UDP in from Any to Any? Allow anything in? Is that right?

G’day,

Rules 2 AND 3 are more than “iffy” - they are opening your PC up entirely.

INBOUND RULE
SOURCE IP is somewhere out there on the internet (“they” started the conversation)
DESTINATION IP is the PC that CPF is running on (“they” sent something to your PC)

Your rules allow traffic into your PC from any IP address.

Bad! Very bad!

Re. xbox settings, although you have defined a zone, have you set it as trusted?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Rules 2 and 3 I copied from the faq and are used for UTorrent (Bittorrent program). They open on one port number. Am I supposed to make it more specific to Utorrent in some way?

What is the step to make a zone trusted please? Okay following the post that Kail pointed me to I’ve used the add a trusted network on the Home LAN. I can’t check if it works yet, but as soon as I do I’ll post the result here.

DOH!!

Me bad. If you’ve added the specific ports for utorrent, then those rules are OK. I forgot that the port specific info doesn’t show up in the screen shots unles you click on the rul so the full info shows up in the status box at the bottom. Apologies.

To make a zone trusted, click the SECURITY button, then click the TASKS button. You should see an option to “Define a new trusted network” under the WIZARDS heading at the bottom of the screen. Click this, select the zone you have defined that describes your LAN and follow the bouncing ball.

Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion.
Ewen :slight_smile:

No worries! I’d rather somebody pointed it out and discovered it was okay, than never know it wasn’t.

Using “Define a new trusted network” seems to have fixed it. I can now access all the files. I think it was that they called it network instead of zone that threw me off. Anyway, thanks for all the help. It was much appreciated.