Won't install, computer goes into reboot cycle.

I’ve been using the Firewall with Defense+, and not the antivirus, since I already have Bitdefender. Today when I updated, with BOClean I got the message that it had been discontinued and integrated into CIS.

When I updated the firewall, it took a long time, and then it asked for a reboot. When I rebooted, as soon as the Windows screen finished loading, and it was time for the blue welcome screen (on XP) to come up, the screen went blank, and then the computer rebooted. This keeps on happening again and again: it won’t start at all. I rebooted in Safe Mode, and used Revo Uninstaller to remove Comodo Firewall (I also have Memory Firewall and BOClean, which I didn’t remove). After this, I rebooted in normal mode and the computer started up as usual, and I downloaded a fresh copy of CIS and ran the setup. In the options, I selected only the firewall with Defense+, not antivirus. As expected, it asked for a reboot, and then the same problem started again, so that after a few reboots, I had to go to Safe Mode and uninstall it again. Right now, I don’t have Comodo firewall running on my PC! I’m using the one that came with Bitdefender, and I know it isn’t all that good.

So, what should I do? I don’t want to install the antivirus, since I already have a reputed one, and two AVs would probably clash.

As for BOClean, is there any page I should watch for more news? Since I am not going to install the whole CIS package, I’ll have to keep running BOClean standalone.

Would appreciate some quick reply.

Thanks.

Do you have an old version of K9 Web Protection installed? If so, see here.

First time I’ve heard of K9 Web Protection. Oh please, does no one know the answer? Am I doomed to using a substandard firewall?

I’m pasting the logs here; I don’t understand any of it.

I used the little script thing available on this forum to remove CIS completely. Then I reinstalled CIS, with only the firewall selected, not antivirus, and Maximum Defense+ selected; I had deselected all other options. At the end of the installation, I got the reboot prompt, and when I rebooted, the Win XP loader screen finished and then it all went black and rebooted on its own. I entered Safe Mode, and noted the logs at this time:

System:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 5/30/2009
Time: 4:31:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: -removed-
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini053009-01.dmp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Time: 4:32:12 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments “” in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7001
Time: 4:32:53 PM
Description:
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Description:
The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Event ID: 7026
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
bdftdif
cmdGuard
cmdHlp
Fips
hmonitor
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SCDEmu
Tcpip

After this, I went to msconfig and deselected the cfp startup entry, so that CIS wouldn’t start the next time, and rebooted. Again the same problem happened, with the computer rebooting without starting, so I again went to Safe Mode, and noted the logs at this time:

System:

Time: 4:37:00 PM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments “” in order to run the server:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event ID: 1001
Time: 4:41:07 PM
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0xbab40d70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini053009-02.dmp.

Time: 4:41:46 PM
Description:

Time: 4:42:25 PM
Description:
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Event ID: 7026
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
bdftdif
cmdGuard
cmdHlp
Fips
hmonitor
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SCDEmu
Tcpip

After this I used Revo Unistaller to remove CIS, then I rebooted, and the desktop did load, but then it froze, with the hard disk light continuously on and the computer not responding at all, so I had to hit the reset button. After this, it started smoothly, and this is the log:

System:

Time: 4:46:30 PM
Description:

Event Source: SbieSvc
Event ID: 9155
Time: 4:52:04 PM
Description:
SBIE9155 Skipped auto-start for Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv)

Time: 4:53:32 PM
User: -removed--username-
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments “” in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

There are two other logs, Application logs, of a time slightly earlier, maybe when I was installing CIS. I just thought I would include them:

Application:

Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 4
Time: 4:21:56 PM
Description:
Failed to load MOF C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V1.1.4322\ASPNET.MOF while recovering repository file.

Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 4
Time: 4:21:56 PM
Description:
Failed to load MOF C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\ASPNET.MOF while recovering repository file.

Now the computer works fine, but I am again without Comodo…

What do I do?

What happens when you disable the residential shield of Bitdefender when installing CIS? Does the problem go? When enabling Bitdefender again does the same thing happen.

Also tell us what other security programs yo have running in the background. What OS are you on?

I never disable the AV or anything, just run the setup.

The OS is Win XP Pro SP3. The security programs running are Bitdefender, Comodo Memory Firewall, BOClean, and two others, which I don’t know whether to call security programs or not: Unlocker (to unlock files being used by processes), and SnoopFree Privacy Shield, which is an anti-keylogger app that only monitors if a program tries to read off the screen from other than its own window.

I’ve removed the new CIS I installed (CIS_Setup_3.9.95478.509_XP_Vista_x32), and installed the old one that I had (CIS_Setup_3.8.65951.477_XP_Vista_x32) and not updated it, and its working great. If I don’t update it at all, will it be alright?

Uninstall Snoop Free.

Install the latest CIS.

Problem solved?

SnoopFree is Not compatible.

Later

PS. You also don’t need BOClean(discontinued) or Memory Firewall as they are built into the new CIS.

Oh no, SnoopFree has saved me many times when others didn’t detect anything. Wish I could keep it. I’ll try out what you’ve suggested and get back.

BOClean will be installed with the CIS package only if I install the antivirus as well, right? But I already have one, and plan only to install the firewall and Defense+. So I’ll have to keep the standalone BOClean, isn’t it? And what about memory firewall, does it automatically get installed with the CIS firewall without installing the antivirus?

Thanks a lot for replying.

Correct.

BOClean is only in with the AV, but to keep it (the stand alone) without updates is useless.

The Memory Firewall is built into D+, So yes if you install the Firewall only with D+ you’ve got it.

The problems seems to be solved! I uninstalled the previous CIS (CIS_Setup_3.8.65951.477_XP_Vista_x32) and SnoopFree, then used the tool to remove all traces of Comodo. Then I shut down Comodo Memory Firewall, and BOClean, and disabled them from the startup, and rebooted. Then installed the new CIS (CIS_Setup_3.9.95478.509_XP_Vista_x32) with only the firewall and Maximum Defense+, and rebooted. The computer started up smoothly; then I manually started BOClean, and allowed it for startup as well, and rebooted, and everything’s fine! I haven’t started Memory Firewall since it has been integrated into CIS, I’ll remove it now.

So, it was SnoopFree that was the problem?

Thanks a lot all of you!

Now I’ll have to find out more about Defense+ blocking keylogger hooks, how exactly that has to be configured. At present Defense+ is in Clean PC mode, and the firewall is in Safe mode.

Thanks again. :wink: