WLAN doesn't work with CFP

Hi,

I have Datel WiFiMAX as a WLAN dongle and since I installed CFP two months ago it hasn’t worked. Before CFP I was using Norton Internet Security 2005 as a firewall and avast! v.4.7 as an antivirus program and WLAN worked fine with my PSP and Wii. I’m able to connect to WLAN (I can see the MAC address in ZDWlan utility) but I’m not able to connect internet. I’ve shared the internet connection with Wireless Network Connection and I’ve configured ZDWlan utility to use Network Card as a bridge.

I’ve read messages from this forum concerning the same matter and tried solutions from them but still no luck. WiFiMAX has been added as Trusted Zone in CFP and rules which it created are in highest priority. I tried this walkthrough https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2240.30.html for my Wii connection but that didn’t do the trick. Neither worked allowing svchost.exe to use TCP and UDP in and out. I also tried disabling avast! On-Access Protection and the result was the same. Do you know what seems to be the problem?

I’ve also tried WiFiMAX with F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and McAfee’s firewall (can’t remember the version). Those weren’t on my computer thou but it worked fine with those.

Sorry you’re having trouble with this situation.

Is there perhaps some useful info for you here: http://us.codejunkies.com/support_article_detail.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=18&i=66&g=5&ProdId=26?

You might also try this:

Uninstall the dongle software, and reinstall it, with CFP already installed & running. Turn off AV software during install (active protection is likely to interfere). Then set your Alert Frequency to Medium, High or Very High (Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous). OK and reboot to set the changes. You may get popups regarding svchost, etc on reboot, which you will need to allow. You should see something for the dongle as well, which you can “Remember” and Allow.

Hope this helps,

LM

It worked! =)

At least for a while but it means it can be fixed. WiFi connection stopped working somewhere between changing Comodo alert level back to low and trying to connect Wii to internet. But I got succesful connection with my Nokia 770 internet tablet so I guess there shouldn’t be very big problem left to solve. I’ll try to change settings tomorrow.

Okay, so we’re making progress on it. That’s good!

When you have established the connection, open Activity/Connections in CFP, and see what is connecting - exact details - IP Protocol, IP Addresses, Ports, etc. We may need that info.

Also check your Application Monitor to make sure that the application is listed there. We may need to edit that App rule, go to Miscellaneous tab, and select (one at a time, to see what works…) Skip Advanced Security Checks, and Allow Invisible Connections. I want to say I remember reading somewhere that one or both may be necessary with dongle connectivity issues.

LM

Ok, it seems I’m able to connect without a problem when I boot my computer, but if try to connect again I’m not able to connect internet and Activity/Connections doesn’t show any action for svchost.exe. Svchost.exe thou shows action when connection is made first time after reboot. I also selected Skip Advanced Security Checks, and Allow Invisible Connections for svchost.exe, but it didn’t seem to help when connecting second time.

Nokia 770 shows on second atempt to connect internet 169.254.81.47 for IP address and 255.255.0.0 for netmask. Default router and Primary DNS address are none. At succesful connection IP is more like 192.x.x.x and default router displays an IP in the range of trusted zone for the router. Also Primary DNS address has a value.

The 169.x.x.x is a default, non-routable address that Windows applies when it’s unable to obtain the DHCP Lease for the IP address.

Here’s a question, when you had the Alert Freq on High and rebooted… for the svchost.exe connection popup alerts, did you check the “remember” box as well as Allow?

LM

Yes I had “remember” box checked for all the svchost.exe rules as well as for every other rule also. Still I get tons of those popup alerts.

Also since I changed settings for CFP I’m unable to reconnect my ISP after internet connection disconnects (my ISP’s server type is PPP). Only reboot cures this. Maybe svchost.exe has something to do with this?

tömis, there have a been a lot of recent cases with svchost in relation to connection losses. It seems that disabling Protocol Analysis works (thanks to Pandlouk’s solution :)).

Security → Advanced → Advanced Attack Detection and Prevention → Configure → Miscellaneous

You might want to try it to see if it works. Reboot might be needed.

Ok, Protocol Analysis has been disabled now. I’ll probably see how it works in 24h since I’ve already rebooted 4-5times because of that today.

BTW - Things have changed now since my first post today. I’m not able to connect internet with Nokia 770 when I reboot, but sometimes when I leave the connection open in N770, internet connection may work for sometime for later on (maybe when it automatically reconnects after losing connection?).

Also disabling and enabling Wireless Network Connection sometimes works. Usually after that CPF launches multiple connection popup alerts for svchost.exe.

I’d love to get my hands on those alerts…

Can you capture a screenshot of one or more, save it as a jpg, gif or png file and attach to your post under Additional Options (you can edit/mask personal IP address for privacy if it shows in the alert)?

Also, (and this might work as well), open the Activity Logs, right-click an entry, select Export to HTML. Save the file, reopen it, and copy/paste the relevant info as text into your post. Again, you can mask/edit your personal/external IP address for privacy.

LM