Windows won't update

Bits is running and windows updates yet I don’t receive any updates. I have run several tools to no avail and windows update diagnostic keeps giving error 0x80070057. Help very much needed as the only way I can think of now is a os reinstallation. win7 64 bit. Cheers

Hi stuartm,
The following external links might be worth reading through.
Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057-Answers Microsoft
How do I reset Windows Update components?-Support Microsoft
Windows 7 update error 0x80070057-Technet Microsoft

Hope you find a solution.

Thanks for links but no solution as of yet. Getting close to os re installation I’m afraid.

Does System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] do the trick for you?

Solve one error another appears ad infinitum gave up going for the re install. Thanks for the suggestions.

When clean installing Windows 7 it may take very very long until over a day in some cases for it to find updates. To make the update process faster you need to install certain updates before installing the bulk. This website describes them: Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution .

Also using the Simplix Update Pack is a good workaround and gets the bulk of the updates installed efficiently. It can even be slipstreamed with an existing Windows 7 installation medium.

I followed this guild to fix several windows 7 computers with slooow updates with this. If it works for me, hopefully it’ll work for you. While I cant see your computer, but if you have insanely slow windows updates if it even updates at all. this would apply to alot of windows 7 users. :slight_smile:

Method 4 in this Microsoft Knowledgebase article describes how to add the various addresses that Windows Update uses and may be helpful in taming the problems with Windows 7 Update issues.

I think jay2007tech’s article and Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution bring the same solution.

Followed many suggestions to little satisfaction. Re install to complete factory settings (wiping HDD clean) win 7 home x64 sp1 installed acer 5755g. Run updates 2 days later 12 to install! Linux or mac look more appealing each day.

Following the tips from Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution should normally help to speed up the process of updating. Bootstrapping with the Simplix Update Pack works like a charm.

It also makes Windows 10 look better. Because Microsoft publishes new ISO files of Windows 10 with all updates until that date. That makes life easier.

The only one that could have worked was WSUS Offline Update. However I stumpled across a simple solution that just worked full stop.