windows updates [Resolved]

Thanks a lot LM
A job for the Morning,my brain is in overdrive,it needs a rest.It is getting rather late in UK.
Best Regards.
Philip

Morning LM
Brain now refreshed and in gear
As regards PPS in your post.
There are two entries for svchost.exe in Application Control Rules both with identical rules in both my computers.Except in PC2 one entry direction is “out” in the other entry it is “in”.
In PC1 both entries have identical direction rules-“out”
Shall i edit the rule to change direction on both computers to “in/out”

The rest will be done next Month as you suggest
I will report back.

Just two questions LM.
Why is it that only my computer has a problem and not the others that i have installed CFP on and secondly,am i likely to have similar problems with V3,if it ever arrives.
Finally.
Just my observations:
You are very well informed as regards CFP.Did you have any input into the writing of the program
Can i just finish with sincere thanks .
Philip

svchost (as an application) needs to be allowed to communicate both In and Out; thus, the rules need to reflect this. Unless you have a lot of detail in your application rules (such as IP address, Port, etc), I would say just to keep one single In/Out rule, rather than separate In and Out rules. If you are doing detail such as IP or Port, then having separate In and Out rules is better, IMO.

Be sure to keep us update as to how next Update Day turns out; hopefully it works like a charm! :wink:

To the first part, well, it’s a computer, it’s Windows, and it’s software. There are sometimes very odd, typically non-reproducible situations that occur; they may be due to specific hardware or software configuration, power fluctuation or running applications at the time of installation, or the amount of money you have in your pocket at that moment, LOL.

To the second, I don’t know; it’s too early in the game at this point. Right now the biggest issues seem to be loss of rulesets, some networking issues and rules creation difficulties. That’s just off the top of my head. Of course, we’re dealing with an Alpha software, so it’s going to be buggy - those just have to get worked out. As we get closer to a final release (a couple months, is my expectation), it will become clearer just how this firewall will do.

Thank you for the compliment. No, I have nothing to do with CFP, other than as a user, and I’m certainly no programmer anyway. My knowledge simply comes from using the product for a while and figuring out how it works (a lot of which came from reading thru the forums!); in fact, I don’t even have it on any system I’m using at the moment; all the instruction I’ve given you is from memory… Here’s hoping that doesn’t fail me! ;D

And you’re most welcome; glad to help.

LM

Thanks LM
I have now edited the rule to change direction to “in/out”
I was quite suprised to find that one entry of svchost.exe had dissapeared but the one entry that is now listed has a direction of “in/out”
I will add a new rule,as suggested,shortly before "Update Day"if you think it is now necessary.
I have just observation about Firewalls.I already have a router and Windows Firewall if required.
Is it really necessary to have a firewall such as CFP,much as i like it, to replace the Windows one.
Best Regards
Philip

PS. i will,of course,keep you fully informed as to developments as and when

The reason for the extra “new” rule right before the next round of auto updates, is simply to make sure that the existent rules will work. If not, we have the one with the Parent set to Learn in the background, in case our current svchost/services relationship isn’t good enough. That’s all. You don’t have to do it; hopefully the ones you have now will work. The downside is that if it doesn’t work, you’ve got to wait until the next auto updates to try any changes (since Auto & Manual seem to work differently).

For a discussion of why you need a software firewall, see this thread…

https://forums.comodo.com/melihs_corner_ceo_talkdiscussionsblog/what_is_a_firewall_here_is_the_laymans_explanation-t10489.0.html

LM

Thanks LM
I understand
I will report back the next time there are Windows Updates.
Best Wishes
Philip

LM
Interesting article on Firewalls,thanks
In your explanation of how to create a new rule,there are two radio buttons in Application Monitor

1. Allow all activities for this application
  2. Apply the following critea ( this is the one that is set at the moment)
    I am just doing a practice run without creating a new rule to make sure i have got it right.
    I nearly forgot.Which button do you fancy?
    Best Regards.
    Philip

Philip,

Sorry for the slow response; things have been very busy at work, and I haven’t even been on in several days. :frowning:

You want to use the “Apply the following criteria” (which is the default selection). That way you get to build the details of the rule as you want.

If you select “Allow all activities” it creates a “trusted application” rule to allow allow connectivity by the application, and takes any user criteria out of the picture. While that is fine for some scenarios, it’s not what you want in this one.

LM

Thanks LM
How ever do you work and do this as well
I would have thought,judging by your posts,that this was a full time job
Best Regards.
Philip

No, I’m only a volunteer. For the most part, my work day is pretty loose, and I’m logged in most of the time, so that makes it easy and convenient to help out.

Let us know how it goes next “update day.” Here’s hoping it works…

LM

LM
You can be sure i will keep you informed
Next Month can’t come quickly enough
Thanks again for you advice
Best Regards
philip

LM
I have been thinking,i do that sometimes,
Is there a possibility that Auto Updates will work with what has been done already?
What i was thinking was,make a new rule for PC1 and leave PC2 as it is and see what happens.
What do you think?
Philip

Oh my, Philip! Now you’ve gone and started thinking… :THNK ;D

It is possible. Anything’s possible, after all. :wink:

So you’re thinking that one PC will have the optional rule and the other one won’t, is that correct?

I don’t see that being a problem. The only thing is, if AutoUpdates don’t work without the optional rule, the PC without it won’t update, and would have to be done manually…

LM

Sadly I turned off the Automatic updates for windows only reason is because after done it wont boot up it’s mainly windows media player umm ithink its 11 or 12 and The Few Security Updates and Authentication Engine So any clues to help this situation?

LM
I just thought it would be interesting to try
So one would and the other would not have the additional rule.
The updates are not a problem.I have done them manually for some time.In fact as long as i have had CFP
Just as a matter of interest,you will remember that i told you i installed CFP on the computers of some friends.
I was with one friend on Saturday,he turned on his computer while i was with him and the latest Updates were ready for installing.You know the gold shield appears down in the task bar next to the clock.
I just had to check.SVCHOST did not appear in the application list(rules).How about that!!! and his computer is almost identical to mine and is set up the same.
Philip

Same can be said for bit defender updates wouldn’t work till just now when I changed the srchost thing to ask and allowed it.

Hmmm So if Commodo a good firewall or should I go back to Zone alarms free on of XP’s.

Depends on what you’re looking for in a firewall, Essah, and your level of comfort/trust with the product.

Based on the statistics, the majority of users (more than 90%) have no problems or issues with CFP; any questions they might have are easily answered here. Approximately 2% leave the product for something else; either because of unresolved issues or personal preferences.

So even though there seem to be a lot of issues/problems reported here, and a lot of people experiencing difficulties, this is by far the minority.

Depending on how it’s set up, and in some cases the configuration of the user’s system comes into play as well, Comodo can be very easy to use; sometimes it has a much higher level of complexity. As with any computer/software combination, there are a lot of variables; some are obvious, some are not.

A couple idiosyncrasies I am aware of with CFP, as it is very particular about its installation:

1. First-time users of this firewall (even if very experienced with other firewalls) should choose Automatic install, vs the Advanced. Choosing Advanced requires manual configuration of everything, and this seems to cause strange & irreversible problems down the road.

2. Installation needs to occur with all other active security software disabled/completely turned off. Previous firewalls MUST be thoroughly uninstalled, and ALL leftover files & registry entries removed, prior to attempting install of CFP. Doing otherwise seems to cause conflicts at a very low system level, resulting in strange & irreversible problems.

Prior to “tweaking” the firewall, it is highly recommended to read some of the available tutorials about various aspects of such things, which can be found through the FAQ.

LM

LM
If you remember we had a long discussion re Windows Updates
I have tried to add another rule as per your suggestion.
i am finding that i am unable to add another rule no matter how i try there is just one entry for Svchost.exe
I have got the correct application i think(c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe)
I understood from your post,i should have two entries and i want the newer created one to be the lower one
Any suggestion please LM
Regards
Philip

There are a couple things that come into play with application rules, rambo.

1. Alert Frequency level (security/advanced/miscellaneous). This is a bit confusing, because it’s not just about how many alerts you get. It’s about the detail of the alerts, which you’ll see if you move the slider up and down. The more detail, then the more alerts you’ll get for each application, based on that level of detail.

2. Parent Path for the application.

It sounds like either the AF level is lower (less detail) than the level of detail in the rule you’re trying to create, or else the parent is the same. In either case, you may end up with a single rule…

The only “regular” reason you’d have two rules for svchost.exe is because of parent. Normally, its parent is services.exe; but there might be occasion for there to be a different one.

LM

Thanks LM
I am not sure i understand,but i will work on it
Shall we just see what happens on Tuesday?
Good Weekend
Philip