Windows Update not working followed by red circle on tray COMODO shield

I have been using Comodo Firewall since January 2009 on a newly installed XP Pro SP3 desktop (Anti virus is Avast).
Following the upgrade to Comodo Firewall v3.11, a few weeks ago, Windows Update became no longer accessible (server error number: 0x800A01CE). Searches on the Internet to find a solution tended to point to the firewall, but with no specific measures suggested to fix the problem.
Since FW v3.11 release notes refer to an existing but now fixed problem related to Windows Update, I installed v3.12 but the Windows Update problem remains after the upgrade was installed.

A Windows System Restore of the desktop for a date (August 23, 2009) prior to the availability of FW v3.11 upgrade solved the Win Update problem but created a new one: a red circle is visible over the Comodo shield in the program tray and the Application Agent is no longer running. All attempts to run Diagnostics to fix the problems as well as numerous reboots did not resolve this situation.

A “red circle over the tray Comodo shield” episode was experienced 3-4 months ago. It lasted 2-3 days and disappeared after a desktop reboot.

Any information leading to the solution of this problem will be greatly appreciated.

deBeaujeu

Try updating Comodo to the latest 3.12 using the program updater under Miscellaneous → Check for update. Does that do the trick for you?

I was waiting for Firewall v3.13 before updating but, during Microsoft major update (14 items) of 10/13/2009, the Comodo update process was mysteriously started (right in the middle of the MS update process) and installed Firewall v3.12.111745.560 after which the red circle was gone.
I am back to normal now.

deBeaujeu

Glad it worked out for you.