Windows Update and Comodo

Although I normally get the updates automatically occasionally I check the microsoft update site manually.

Since I installed Comodo the page won’t delay while it’s checking what updates might be needed.

The error code says it’s a firewall problem but I can’t find anywhere in comodo to allow microsoft update.

Hi:

I just posted nearly the same question in the HELP forum. It is clearly a conflict with Comodo as I too was previously able to manually check for updates and now get an error code. When I looked at the Comodo log, there are a whole bunch of svchost.exe messages that indicate it was denied.

A “conflict” will only start if a wrong application rule is created. As I have already replied in this thread: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7791.0.html , please delete any blocked svchost.exe rules. It is a legitmate and important Windows process in order for Windows Updates to function. If you leave the ‘do not show any alerts certified by COMODO’ option enabled, you won’t be bothered by such alerts.

Hi, I’m new to these forums and I have a few questions. One: For all us dummies, why doesn’t someone explain how to “delete any blocked svchost.exe rules” so that we all can do it when we encounter the aforementioned problem with Windows updates( which I surely will)? Two: Why doesn’t anyone edit the forum replies/posts so they read correctly? Some of the posts I cannot even read because words are missing and/or the sentences are not clear. And three: Comodo Personal Firewall? Easy to use? Who made that one up? After working with the comodo firewall after I installed it, it’s more like: Comodo firewall: You’d better know a lot about it, buddy (especially the terminology), if you want to use it and for it to be configured properly so it’ll work the way it should! 'Cause of you don’t, you’re going to have nothing but problems with it.

PS. Solution for the all the problems with Comodo Firewall? Fix the firewall program so it’ll truly be easy to work with.

Someone hasn’t explained how to delete any blocked svchost.exe rules because no one asked until now. It’s assumed to be a self-explanatory step, but since you’ve now asked about it, please see the attached example picture. In this part, if there any entries on svchost.exe being blocked, please delete them by clicking on them (selected entries will be highlighted, most likely in a yellowish colour) and then click the Remove button (at the top corner). Such entries shouldn’t exist in the first place unless someone incorrectly selected Deny in alert on svchost.exe (which shouldn’t even be there if the do not show any alerts certified by COMODO option is left alone). That being the case, I left the default CFP settings and never experienced Windows Updates problems.

No one but the original posters or admins/mods can edit them. Please realize that it is practically impossible for anyone or any group of people to correct each post that isn’t “perfect”. You must understand that not everyone’s English spelling/grammar is perfect. We are human, not to mention this is an international forum with a diverse range of users from various levels of knowledge and languages. There are some people who prefer acronyms or short-formed words for quick typing. This is obviously their preference and right. Furthermore, no one has unlimited time to correct 54704+ posts as that would be absurd. We moderators ourselves are merely volunteers on this forum and therefore this is not a 24-hour “job”. Finally, each poster has a right to maintain their original posts. Unless it’s something obviously incorrect or major, such as against this forum’s policy (https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1516.0.html), we usually do not edit posts.

As with anything new, a learning curve is to be expected. Whether this curve is steep or not depends on the user’s knowledge, of course. There are plenty of sources for information, including but not limited to the Firewall’s own help file and this forum. Asking questions doesn’t meant mean one is a “dummie”. As the saying (or something similar) goes, “The dumbest question is one that doesn’t get asked”.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Let’s try to stay on topic with Windows Update and CFP.

[attachment deleted by admin]

To Soya,
Thank you for your replies. I appreciated your comments and your suggestion for correcting the Window Update problem. I will implement the solution when I encounter it, which I’m afraid I will.
I hope I can do it correctly, because I don’t remember seeing a svchost.exe in the application monitor window, which I assume is what you refer to as the “Applications Rules.” Anyway, thank you very much for your replies.
Sincerely,
Frank J. solorzano

No problems, Frank. Yes, “Application Rules” is one of the many variations of the Application Monitor (or AppMon, etc.). That’s another example of how each person describes the same thing in different ways. If you stick around in the forums, you’ll get used to the same patterns and see the light.

Assuming you left the default 'don’t show any alerts…certified by Comodo…" option enabled then svchost.exe won’t be in AppMon because it’s in CFP (Comodo Firewall Pro)'s safelist (which isn’t revealed for security reasons, such as keeping malware from accessing the info). That means you won’t/shouldn’t be alerted about svchost.exe at all (like with my personal configurations). This is one of the great features that CFP has over other firewalls - its certified/safe database. Any file or application that’s on the safelist is automatically granted ok access in AppMon (unless you have an AppMon rule that blocks it, of course). This is to reduce alerts on trusted programs, which is why it’s enabled by default. svchost.exe is a common and vita Windows file/process that handles several functions, with Windows Updates being one of them.