Windows Recovery Screen after CTM Restore System

This has happen on both occassions when I reverted back to a snapshot with CTM Restore System. When the PC reboots, the Restore progress bar reaches between 60 - 98% before continuing booting. I then got the Windows Recovery Screen, with the Start Windows Normally option highlighted. It takes a little while from there to boot, subsequent reboots are faster.

Am I correct in thinking that this shouldn’t happen?

Thanks in advance.

DoctorJellybean, this happens because the snapshot you restored back to was not taken with elevated privileges. This is a bug in CTM. Let me explain.

In order for CTM to take a working snapshot properly it needs elevated privileges. This means it needs to run in Admin mode. To fix this find the icon on the desktop (NOT tray icon… the actual desktop icon)right click on the icon and select “properties”. Go to the “compatability” tab and at the bottom click on “Run this program as an administrator”. Click “apply” and then “OK”.

Now to take a snapshot. If you double click on the tray icon you get a simple GUI showing “Restore System”, “Take Snapshot” and “Advanced”. If you click on “Take snapshot” here then restore to this snapshot later, you get the Windows recovery screen pop up after CTM finishes loading up the snapshot at boot.

To avoid this from happening, you need to click on “Advanced”. You immediatlely see the UAC window pop up asking to elevate priveleges. From this advanced window you’ll see along the tabs at the top the “Take a Snapshot” button. Take your snapshots from here. When you restore to the newly created snapshots you’ll see that all boots well.

The other way you can get to this advanced screen is to click on the Desktop icon and you should again see the UAC window pop up to elevate priviledges as expected.

Your problem should be resolved now ;D

Many thanks for your explanation. Maybe that’ll explain the reason my system got ■■■■■■■ up after taking those 2 snapshots to such an extent that I had to reinstall Win 7.

Go to the “compatability” tab and at the bottom click on “Run this program as an administrator”. Click “apply” and then “OK”.

I right clicked and opened the Compatability tab…but found no “Run this program as an administrator” option? Does the instruction apply to operating system other than XP?

To avoid this from happening, you need to click on “Advanced”. You immediatlely see the UAC window pop up asking to elevate priveleges.

I clicked on “Advanced” but did not find a “UAC window.” Don’t know what this is, what does “UAC” stand for? What I got was just the Time Machine program window. Neither did I see a “pop up askiing to elevate priveleges”? Confused. Are the instructions for Microsoft Windows program… or perhaps for Macintosh or Linux? Thanks any info

hovey, here are the original instructions i gave

In order for CTM to take a working snapshot properly it needs elevated privileges. This means it needs to run in Admin mode. To fix this find the icon on the desktop (NOT tray icon....... the actual desktop icon)right click on the icon and select "properties". Go to the "compatability" tab and at the bottom click on "Run this program as an administrator". Click "apply" and then "OK".

http://users.adam.com.au/carfal/Comodo%20Properties%20Window.jpg

I’m sorry, but i cant be any clearer. Perhaps if you read them slowly…that might help. :stuck_out_tongue:

I clicked on "Advanced" but did not find a "UAC window." Don't know what this is, what does "UAC" stand for? What I got was just the Time Machine program window. Neither did I see a "pop up askiing to elevate priveleges"? Confused. Are the instructions for Microsoft Windows program... or perhaps for Macintosh or Linux? Thanks any info

Your confusion has resulted because you havent done the above step first. In order for the UAC window to pop up (and elevate your privileges) you must do the above step first. UAC is a new protection introduced in Windows Vista and carried through to Windows 7. It stands for User Account Control. It pops up everytime you need to do something that requires Admin privileges.

Here is what a UAC window looks like

http://users.adam.com.au/carfal/Comodo%20UAC%20window.jpg

Once you click on “Yes” your provileges will be elevated for the application named inside the window.

OK, this has to be a bug. I’ve mentioned on another topic https://forums.comodo.com/help-ctm/updates-t51117.0.html Reply #11
that I can no longer mount snapshots but at one time I could. The only thing I’ve done different is what’s mentioned here to avoid the recovery options screen on boot after a restore. On a hunch, I decided to uncheck the “Run this program as an adminstrator” and now I can mount the snapshots again. What gives? Where in the help file does it say that one is suppose to check this option? What is a user suppose to do in order to mount snapshots and on boot after a restore not get the recovery options screen?

Greg S, i hear your delema and understand your fustration. Comodo dev team seem to be absent in some of these discussions so we resort to help each other.

On a hunch, I decided to uncheck the "Run this program as an adminstrator" and now I can mount the snapshots again. What gives? Where in the help file does it say that one is suppose to check this option?

This trick is not in the help files of CTM. I tried it in a VM machine because i too was getting the recovery options screen. I came up with the idea because many times in the past when a program behaved strangely i found that running it in Admin mode made it behave normally. This was the case with CTM however you’ve obviously discovered a side effect. I think its high time Comodo developers had their input on this or at least acknowledge that its a known issue and will be resolved in the next update.

many thanks for the explain i got the same problem too…