Windows Kernel growing

Hi again.

Following on from here, I noticed that the Windows Kernel seemed much larger than it used to be, i.e. always around 76,000KB. I rebooted yesterday and it was about 90,000KB just after startup - the PC has been idle but it’s been growing ever since - afew hours ago it was 146,000KB, then 169,000KB? (see pic ‘CIS_20’).
Another restart again and back to 91,000KB (‘CIS_21’).

Does CIS have kernel-resident components?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Happened again today, though not to the same extent. Is it just me?

Is it just me? Windows kernel 167MB and trending up.

Mine seems to be sitting around the 65MB mark. Running XP Pro SP3.

:slight_smile:

Yeah, so do all the other XP Pro SP3 PCs I have checked so far. It may be a coincidence but it didn’t happen with my previous AV (PC Tools Free AV v.7). It has actually dropped a little today to 152100 (compare samples attached).

Does CIS have kernel-resident components that might account for this?

I think Kernel Resident components are likely with CIS drivers, but to account for this I very much doubt mine hovers around total 25000 to 35000. Drivers and system account for this, I personally would suspect something other than CIS. Maybe indexing or some form of caching from a program or even an incompatable driver. Good luck.

I restarted again today (first pic), 5 hours later (2nd pic). If it happened on any other similar PC/OS with another AV I wouldn’t be asking here but I still haven’t been able to reproduce it on another PC.

Another day… another 60MB!

I Guess I’ll have to uninstall CIS to find out what is really going on.

CIS does have a couple of Kernel drivers (picture below)

Do you have any entries in Event Log with event ID 2019 or 2020 referenced in the article HERE

Looks like a leak somewhere, good luck in tracking it down. Maybe it is CIS on that system, it doesn`t seem a widespread issue but you never know!

Matty

Thanks Matty_R
No events with either number logged so I’m still none the wiser