Windows Firewall --is it supposed to be on?

I just installed the Comodo firewall after blue screen problems with another firewall.

I’m getting the Windows Defender red shield with an X in the status tray. I’m expecting this to go away, because I have Comodo as a firewall. The old firewall made it disappear.

Should I turn this on? Installation says it is recommended to not have it on. But does that mean I need to put up with getting messages that my machine is unprotected, etc?

While searching for an answer to this question, I found an article about allowing updates to Defender with Comodo. So it seems someone is using them together.

thanks,
andy

Hi andy-I would turn Bit Defender off-delete (I assume this is what you are talking about?!. I tried it and found it pretty much useless. Use the Comodo Firewall on it’s own and get a decent Anti-virus programme such as NOD32 or some of the better free ones (just do a Google). I think you need to phrase your question with a little more detail as the only way you will get the right answer is by asking the right question. Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick-no offence.
Regards Gordon.

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.

When you say Windows Defender, do you mean Windows Firewall? If so, CFP should turn that off during installation.

If your talking about Windows Defender (a seperate program from Microsoft) then it’s a different type of program. Essentially, WD is designed to protect you against malware, it’s not a firewall. This you can leave on as it does a different job.

Toggie

Hi Andy,

I think you’re making a mistake, the red icon you mention belongs to Windows’ Security Center, not to Windows Defender which is a separate program. I’m guessing the warning you get when you double-click on the red icon is something like this:

http://ludit.kuleuven.be/software/beveiliging/images/securityCenter2.gif

Whereas Windows Defender is this:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

So I’m guessing the problem you have is about Windows’ not recognizing CFP as a firewall. That’s odd, it’s recognized in my computer, let’s see if someone else can help you on this. Maybe something went wrong during the installation.

However even if Windows doesn’t realize you’re safe that doesn’t mean you’re not safe, you are as long as CFP is up.

Yeah, you’re right. It is the Windows firewall and security center. I had the wrong thing in my head when I asked. Sorry. :slight_smile:

Anyway, yes, the Comodo installation asked me about turning off the windows firewall. I left that toggle on to turn it off. But I’d rather the icon didn’t stay up, especially since when I log in it tells me I don’t have a firewall. Does this happen to all Comodo users? The other firewall also disabled the Windows firewall, but didn’t leave this icon and warning up.

I’m actually trying to decide whether I need a firewall at all, since I have a router. But I have a wife and kids on the computers, and I feel I’d better be more careful than if it were just me.

thanks
andy

Does this happen to all Comodo users?

No, Windows should detect CFP, it does in my computer. Turning the Windows Firewall down was the right think, you shouldn’t have more than one personal firewall. Still Windows should take CFP as a valid substitution, it does for me. So an anomality is happening indeed.

Maybe re-installing CFP would do the trick. During the installation you should temporarily disable any other security software that might prevent changes to the registry to occur properly, so that the installation process is carried without errors that might cause issues such as this. But I would wait for anyone else to post since I don’t have the knowledge to advise you properly.

I'm actually trying to decide whether I need a firewall at all, since I have a router. But I have a wife and kids on the computers, and I feel I'd better be more careful than if it were just me.

I’ve heard that a personal firewall increases your security even if you’ve got a hardware one:

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,9163.0.html

windows firewall is useless compare wit all other firewalls in the market, compare wit comodo firewall, its a toy for 3 yo kid.

and security center is stupidly useless too, jus turn it off. if u think u cant control ur security apps, let say to be up-to-date, and dun mind waste some of ur resource for a stupid service, then let it on.

If Windows Security Center is not recognizing Comodo there is a previous thread offing a solution. Follow the directions and use the remove_wmi.zip file provided by Panic and all will be well.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2479.msg19751.html#msg19751

instead of getting security center to regconize comodo, just disable da stupid trash center

That’s quite right as well, if you know when your software makes you safe better than the Security Center, you don’t need this service just eating up (even little) resources.

I'm actually trying to decide whether I need a firewall at all, since I have a router. But I have a wife and kids on the computers, and I feel I'd better be more careful than if it were just me.

In most situations I’d say yes, it’s better to have a software firewall and a router. To some extent, however, it will depend on the router. If it supports NAT and the ability to configure inbound and outbound rules, you are in a better position. I, however, would continue to use CFP as it gives me much finer control over my rules.

Even if your router acts as an incoming firewall please note that no router has outgoing protection, and especially not like CFP. (BTW, I changed the thread title to avoid confusion). Therefore I still recommend a software firewall.

i jus tink a software firewall is a must-have. so u haf the control of ur fate. if jus rely on router, u let da router decide ur fate.
and to better control ur fate, use comodo firewall :slight_smile:

Toggie:

FYI, As you know I just installed CFP I didn’t check if it turned off Windows FW on install, but yesterday, I went to the security centre and WFW was ON as was CFW. I turned off WFW and today after bootup, checked again and all was well. Not sure if this is something the beta guys should look at?

FYI, As you know I just installed CFP I didn't check if it turned off Windows FW on install, but yesterday, I went to the security centre and WFW was ON as was CFW. I turned off WFW and today after bootup, checked again and all was well. Not sure if this is something the beta guys should look at?

I’m not sure why WFW wasn’t turned off. it may have just been a one off situation…

i remember wen instal cpf, da instal wizard offer to turn WFW off.
in escalader’s case, maybe he/she didnt choose to turn it off.

I have seen WinXPFW turn itself back On, after being turned Off. It was the result of the Service still running on Automatic, probably in combination with other Windows stuff. I stopped the Service and disabled it, and it never returned…

So just FYI, it can happen.

LM

ye, jus disable it.
first thing i do wen i buy a pc or reinstal system is to instal a gud firewall which is comodo, then disable a bunch of services including WFW & WSC.

i kno some ppl never use firewall and some ppl use WFW together wit another firewall coz they believe more is better.da problem here is not quantity but quality.i ask u kno wat WFW can do and wat the other one can do? they dun kno. then y u believe using 2 is better? of course they cant answer.

If it isn’t a vilolation of ToS, can you say what FW gave you the BSOD?