Windows is unable to search for updates and you receive
error message 80072efd or 0x8024402C.
- Window’s update servers may be down and unavailable or unavailable due to a spike in demand.
- Third-party applications such as security software (e.g., proxy settings, firewalls, antivirus and web accelerators)
maybe be blocking the connection to the Windows Update Website.
Recommended Troubleshooting steps:
IV. Reset Browser (for example, Internet Explorer)
In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options. (As shown on figure 1a)
On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
a. You may alternatively have the option to Delete Personal Settings, if you wish
to reset web accelerators, cookies, webform information and saved passwords.
b. Click Close and then click OK.
c. Restart Internet Explorer.
For Chrome and Firefox users please refer to the appropriate link
a. How to reset Chrome (Reset Chrome settings to default - Google Chrome Help)
b. How to reset Firefox (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems)
V. Check your proxy server settings
- In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options. (As shown on figure 1a)
- Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
- Select No Proxy, or Auto-detect Proxy settings for this network, or Under Automatic configuration, select the
Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK (whichever applies to your network connection, and OS
Version). (refer to image in url: http://bit.ly/1LAXEOo)
VI. Check for firewall permission restriction or applications list settings, refer to your software publisher’s documentation
to add the following websites to your firewall exceptions list:
VII. Register Windows Update engine files
- Download the Windows update reregister batch file http://1drv.ms/1GplsRN
- Save the register.bat file to your Desktop.
- On your Desktop, right-click the register.bat file, and then click Run as Administrator. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
VIII. Microsoft Windows also has a recommended Microsoft Fixit for this issue, if the steps above do not resolve the issue,
you may download it from this link Bing
IX. Contact GeekBuddy Support
You can reach us through 855-301-4475 or 888-351-8017.
Or if already a GeekBuddy Customer, you can chat with a live help expert through the client chat application
installed on your PC. Simply indicate your issue as “Windows Update Error 80072efd”, or simply as “Error