windows cannot access specified device etc

(CLY)

hm, I seem to have disturbed a hornets nest against Adaware7. I wonder, is the old version, Adaware SE any better? So Vettetech, ignore that there are better spyware progs out there, is it Adaware7 (or more psecifically AdWatch7) that is causing this problem?

If you want to continue to use Adaware 2007 and stop that error its very simply to fix. Go to D+\Advanced\Computer Security Policy\Comodo Firewall Pro. Highlight Comodo Firewall Pro and click edit. Then click Protection Settings. Click the modify tab next to Interprocess Memory Access and add Adware and Adwatch there.

Hi Vettetech
thanks for the info - I notice that having installed SAS (following your glowing recommendation) that its exe file has now turned up in the D+ events folder. Presumably I can just add that to the protection settings as you just described?

Yes if your D+ events show memory access do what I said.

Are there any other programs that I should allow memory access or even more importantly, what programs should I NOT permit access?

Only if they end up giving you D+ event blocks. For me Set Point and SAS I have to add.

And so it goes on. Yup, it crashed again, ironically just after I had installed Revo uninstaller - perhaps Comodo knew it was about to be removed ? I’m sure there’s an X files episode in there somewhere. Well before I uninstalled CFP I made a printscreen of the D+ log - here it is. What on earth is going on??? Vettetech - IF I uninstall Adaware7 (which I’m happy to do now that I;ve got SAS) will CFP work???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did the windows file (with the prtscn in it) get attached as I can’t see it? (:SAD)

Ad Aware or SAS should not make Comodo crash. Define crash also? Do you get an error code and Comodo needs to close? I saw your screen shot. Did you add SAS to the memory of Comodo like I showed you?

sorry, by crash I meant my original problem reoccured - this was ‘windows cannot access specified device etc’ for virtually all applications and folders. I believe I did add SAS to the memory. The only way I have found to sort out this problem is to reboot into safe mode, log on as administrator & then uninstall CFP. This time I used Revo. Then reboot, switch Windows firewall back on, and my PC is running fine again (as I’m sending this from my PC now). I had hoped you would be able to see something ‘interesting’ in the prtscn of the D+ folder, but clearly not. My next plan would be to either forgot about CFP & just rely on windows firewall & my router to keep badies out OR uninstall Adaware7, reinstall CFP 3.0.20 & see what happens next. A shame to lose Adaware - perhaps if that last scenario works out I can always reinstall a previous version of Adaware, personal SE, & see how that works with CFP. A cunning plan or what? :■■■■

Never use Windows Firewall. Thats junk. I am not a modder but a Comodo user like yourself who just helps out alot around here. Dont worry about Adaware. Your not missing much. So right now you have no Comodo installed correct? Have you seen this sticky to be sure all files are gone.

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html

A mini dump file is actually what is needed to see why its crashing.

yes windows firewall only, though as you alluded to, the security centre still thinks CFP is installed. I have avoided doing that so far as I don’t have registry editing experience - I’ll run ragwigs batch and set what happens - done that now to reboot. Later

I’m back. Well running that batch has not stopped the security centre thinking that CFP is still there. How do I generate a minidump?

its easy to fix the security center. Go to run and type “services.msc”. Then once that opens find the WMI service( Windows Management Instrumentation) and stop that service. Then go to C\Windows\System32\Wbem and delete the repository folder and reboot. Did you do everything that post said? Did you delete all registry entries and program files?

hi
no I haven’t deleted the registry entries (as I’m a little nervous playing around in there). Does it really matter that the security centre thinks that CFP is still there or is it just inconvenient? Re the minidump, I looked for the %system%minidump folder but couldn’t find it. So where do you think they are?
Strewth, without CFP, the machine is running super fast now. I had forgotten how much it dragged it down.

You need to do all that the sticky says. Comodo doesn’t slow down either of my pc;'s. What is your system specs?

my pc has an Intel Pentium D925 dual core (2 X 3GHz) processor with 1GB ram. I’ll try & work up the courage to delete those remaining registry entries tonight. Thee must be thousands of people who have uninstalled comodo firewall using the uninstall option & not bothered to clean up their registry. Surely they’re not all runing with compromised machines?