Windows 7 scvhost connects every time browser opens

Hi there!

I recently bought a secondhand laptop. I am used to XP, and still getting used to Windows 7 Ultimate. I am a bit worried about outgoing connections.

I have scanned with Malwarebytes, AVG and Bitdefender but havent found any malware or virusses.

When I browse the internet (via LAN) with IE9 or Opera I have noticed svchost connecting to 192.168.1.1:53 (up to 5 different connections). These connections are apart from the browser connections. When I close the browser scvhost also disconnects.

After checking the PID (884) with Task Manager/Services it looks like this PID is shared by:

NlaSvc (Network Location Awareness)
LanmanWorkstation (Workstation)
Dnscache (DNS Client)
CryptScv (Cryptographic Services)

Is this normal behaviour for Windows 7? This has never happened on my XP pc.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Welcome.

192.168.1.1 is probably your router/modem and UDP/TCP on port 53 is DNS. Under Windows, by default, svchost.exe is responsible for performing DNS queries. A DNS query is the process of taking a domain name, such as www.microsoft.com and translating this into and IP address, such as 65.55.1.1.

Unreal how fast you have responded Radahast!!! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the info, I have learnt something new from you today.

Just to clarify, is the DNS query process something new in Windows 7 compared to XP?

You’re welcome.

Just to clarify, is the DNS query process something new in Windows 7 compared to XP?

Not new, it’s been part of Windows for quite a long time.