Win/firewall keeps starting up

Why do i have a bug any help much appreciated

Can you explain your problem in detail? Windows Firewall is re-enabling itself? Do you use some other firewall? Search for Windows Firewall in Services (Start → Run → type services.msc) and make sure that is Stopped and set to Manual.

Hi m_sdiego, welcome to the forum

The issue was discussed here in the forum many times.
It is the matter of searching, say for “Windows Firewall” and you will get a lot of info, so I’ll not place numerous links

In brief (I hope :)):
1) yes MS has a bad habit of re-enabling native windows firewall (WF). That can happen during applying patches or when user is changing something or just observing Network Properties;
2) you must not have 2 FW running;
3) The native FW must be disabled (not just being set to “Manual” as suggested above - strong No!)
4) What is dramatically decreasing the ability of WF being reactivated is disabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), in case you are not using it. The latter still cannot be considered as 100% cure;

From one of the mentioned discussions :

...The problem that I pointed out several times in this forum - there should be an option introduced for periodically checking (including the Reboot) whether the native Windows Firewall (WF) is re-enabled by MSoft... ...I have no doubts that WF can be made active silently even if the "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service is disabled (not all can use that option actually)
Therefore we can still hope that such option/checking, which is in the Wish List will be implemented.

almost !ot! : That could be done similar (with some additions) to the notification of the Installation Mode being set.
As a matter of fact, such Notification Message can be a combined pop-up window, which includes all other vital info which reflects some changes made like:
setting Training Mode; temporarily disabling Defense+; etc. There were reasonable complains in the past that such things can be easily forgotten…

My regards

You can also disable windows firewall by using “Local Policy”

1. From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc. 2. Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative Templates folder. 3. Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then the Windows Firewall folder. 4. Select the Standard Profile folder. 5. Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections option. 6. Select Disabled, then click OK. 7. Select the Domain Profile folder. 8. Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections option. 9. Select Disabled, then click OK. 10. Close the Group Policy dialog box.
yes MS has a bad habit of re-enabling native windows firewall
Agreed, they also have a bad habit of keeping "windows defender" around too. ;D

I would suggest that you format your PC. Thats what I did. If it keeps bugging you just format once more. After a while you will have windows firewall so tierd that it will think twice before starting! :-TU

I would suggest that you format your PC
That should be last resort for most people because they would have to start over??, I know people like me and you reformat for any or for no reason at all, we're a rare breed of people. :)

My post was intended as a joke… :slight_smile: Batteling a annoying firewall by starting over again and again, hehe… :a0

Oh boy! you frightened me, Commanding The Celsius
I was lucky enough , coz I decided to scroll down & read it all :smiley:

More seriously (without intention to offend anybody) - there are less experienced users & they may follow … even I was going to. Am I joking? What do you think? ;D
Cheers!

More seriously (without intention to offend anybody) - there are less experienced users & they may follow ... even I was going to. Am I joking? What do you think?
I agree, also you let it be known your joking for the average person too as a rule of thumb

I think some people will find some of my posts really annoying… And I suspect that you are joking atm… :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure it’s disabled via services.msc, and also make sure there are no programs forcing it to start and re-enable itself.

I used to have this problem with Remote Desktop Services, it would keep re-enabling itself.

Hi dWhite,

That is correct - disabled, as pointed above - compare to completely incorrect statement of setting it to “Manual”
… & the note about ICS

… and also make sure there are no programs forcing it to start and re-enable itself.
I used to have this problem with Remote Desktop Services, it would keep re-enabling itself.
[/quote]
This remark needs some clarification, though

I was never experiencing any issues with “Remote Desktop Services” or any 3rd party Software that can do the damage. Only MS as pointed is a nasty one.

It would be interesting to know what “Remote Desktop Services” you are talking about in particular.
Most native MS remote services (see attached) are disabled amongst around more than 70 unneeded services. Just a few of them are introduced by 3rd party installations - the majority are Little&Soft services that are still presenting security threats .

Then, are you talking about some kinda Remote Access Support Software, which was pre-installed?
If so, please state the specific one, because those pre-installed Software(s) are immediately uninstalled on any (and many) client PCs I’m looking after here

My regards