Win 7 Automatic Windows Updates

I have noticed that windows updates also at times downloads & installs the optional update too, why? Few days back windows was showing me 8 optional updates & today there are only 5 optional updates. I checked the update history & 3 optional updates were downloaded & installed automatically, why?

Thanxx
Naren

Go to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

Make sure “Give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates” unchecked;

But recommended updates are for microsoft products like office, etc. Optional updates are different from recommended updates.

Thanxx
Naren

There are four options on the settings page for Windows updates and also a choice of ways the updates are controlled (see image). If you chosen to be alerted to new updates, but have also chosen to specify when they are downloaded, nothing should be installed without you allowing it.

If you don’t want optional updates remove the check from the third radio button:

Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows

[attachment deleted by admin]

But removing this check will stop giving the updates for my MS Office, right?

The question is with automatic windows update, optional updates are not downloaded & installed, thats why they feature in optional update & there is no specific settings for optional udate in settings. But time to time few optional updates are automatically downloaded & installed & those chosen optional updates are not related to any microsoft products too. They are related to operating system like kb1234567 kind of updates. I asked here coz just wanted to know why they get downloaded & installed automatically if they are optional? & why microsoft does this?

From the replies I am getting here it seems if microsoft update is selected then few optional updates also get download & installed with microsoft products updates even if they are not related to any microsoft products, I dont know why? but seems so.

Thanxx
Naren

Can you provide a specific example of one of these ‘optional’ updates?

As I said, nothing should be automatically installed, providing you’ve selected the correct setting for alerts/downloads.

Every setting is fine. But the optional updates are automatically installed. Currently I am not on that system. Will post the screenshots of settings & optional updates downloaded automatically later.

Thanxx
Naren

Ok I checked today all the optional updates in the installed updates history & they all are related to micorsoft security essentials. So I guess its ok coz I have MSE installed.

But I do remember that there were few updates in Optional section which are not there now & I guess they have been installed but in installed updates history they are not shown as optional but may be they are shown as recommended. So I cannot figure it out among the recommended updates which are those optional updates.

So now I am going to keep an eye on the optional updates & if they get installed automatically, I will check whether they are shown as important, recommended or optional in the update history & post here accordingly.

Thanxx
Naren

In Windows update check what’s been installed by selecting ‘View update history’. Also check to make sure updates haven’t been hidden, by selecting ‘Restore hidden updates’. As I said before, if you configure your settings so that it asks you when to install, nothing will be installed unless you allow it.