Will BO Clean Clash with Anti Spyware that uses Real Time protection

Can I use Comodo BO Clean with another anti spyware program that uses real time protection?

THANKS

Yes.

Yes, you can use CBOClean with anti spyware programs that use realtime protection.

It should work with all of them pretty well :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

it depends on what “antispyware” programs you are talking about and the number of “antimalware” programs you have running in realtime…

if you wanted to run something like “spyware doctor” or “counterspy”, i don’t think that there would be a conflict with those programs, but if you wanted to run programs like “prevx” or “a-squared”, with its “IDS”, i think that those programs do conflict with programs like BOC, not that BOC will not run, along with them, but it might not function the way that it is supposed to, flagging malware…

also, if you have too many security programs running in realtime, they might not function the way that they are supposed to… they might all appear to be running fine, but when it comes to actually flaggijng malware, you could find that they are not flagging malware the way that they are supposed to…

In that case in order to avoid a potential clash, do you know if Spyware Terminator; Ad-Aware 2007 (free version) and AOL Spyware Protection use IDS?

kesher, i am not familar with “spyware terminator”… i would ask them if their program uses the same type of technology that is used in “prevx”, “a-squared”, and in panda’s “tru-prevent”… i don’t know, but i am thinking that they do…

there was another program that used that type of technology, “resplendence’s ‘principal antivirus’”, but they “pulled” it because they realized that it interfered with other security programs that run in realtime, like av’s and anti-trojan programs, like BOC…

i learned from experience… i found that, with “a-squared” running in realtime, “trojanhunter” and “BOC” would not flag the test-files the way that they were supposed to, when i would run the tests… trojanhunter and BOC seemed to be running fine when they were run along with “a-squard”, but when i tested them, running test-files, BOC and TH would not flag the test-files the way that they were supposed to, when “a-squared” was also running in realtime…

imo, BOC will give you more and better protection than “spyware terminator” will and so, if you have to choose between the two, i would go with BOC…

Redwolfe_98 just to be clear, if an anti spyware program which has IDS is not used in real time but instead to scan only then there would not be a clash with Comodo BO Clean?

that’s right, kesher… there would be no conflict between BOC and “spyware terminator” if they both are not running together in realtime… not that you can’t run them both in realtime, but BOC might not fuction the way that it is supposed to, flagging malware…

you could test for yourself to see if BOC will still flag test-files when both ST and BOC are running together in realtime…

i looked at the “spyware terminator” website, in “features”, and it looks like ST does use the same type of technology that is used in a-squared and prevx (and panda’s “tru-prevent”), its “HIPS” feature…

i wouldn’t worry about installing BOC if you wanted to try it out… i have used BOC for a few years and kevin mcaleavey, who created BOC, does good work, so i don’t think it would cause any problems for you, if you installed it, and then later, if you wanted to uninstall it…

I’ve run boclean together with spyware terminator since boclean came under the comodo umbrella, with no conflicts. I have the real time shield, and the HIPS components of ST in real time, but don’t use the clam plugin.

I already had prevx 2 and I just installed BOC. Till now I didn’t have conflicts. I am running prevx in abc mode and I didn’t change any of the settings. I will see what happens when I got infected.

I got this info regarding compatibility:

[i]Compatibility Information

“BOClean has been carefully designed not to conflict with other software, particularly antivirus or other protection programs. Any time you have programs running however, each wants as much CPU time as possible. When many programs of any type are running, the machine will slow down slightly as each additional program runs. We are mindful of this and have designed BOClean to use minimum resources and CPU time. BOClean is designed to function so as to minimize conflict with other software running on on your system while it runs constantly in the background.” [/i]
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html

so, i would suggest that you who are running “spyware terminator” and/or “prevx” along with BOC try to test to see if BOC will still flag the various test files when it is run along with those other programs…

the two test files that i know of, for testing BOC, are the “trojansimulator” and GRC’s “leaktest”…

here is the link for the trojansimulator:

http://www.misec.net/trojansimulator/

here is the link for GRC’s “leaktest”:

Prevx 2.0 immediately blocked Trojansimulator before I could start the test. BOClean didn’t detect anything because nothing was running in the memory.
BOClean detected the leaktest. Prevx 2.0 doesn’t prevented it to run.

Niels

ok, niels… :slight_smile: that was the reason i said to test, so people would know for themselves…

all i can say is that, with a-squared running, on my computer, BOC was not flagging the test files, when i tested it, the way that it was supposed to…

redwolfe_98, I have only recently started using Comodo FW Pro and I am a bit confused by the instructions on how to use GRC leaktest at GRC | LeakTest -- How to Use Version 1.x  .

These instructions show that there are 3 types of leaktests. Under the the 1st test it says:

“Look through your firewall’s permissions for the filename of any program that is granted access through the firewall. Then simply rename LeakTest to that name (just as a Trojan, virus, and spyware would) and run it.”

redwolfe_98, Please how do I do this 1st test with the Comodo FW Pro?

Under the instructions for the 2nd leak test, again how do I do this test with Comodo FW Pro; or is this 2nd test specifically aimed at Symantec firewall?

Once I have done all the tests you recommended in your earlier post, I will then try out BOClean.

THANKS

I must say that when I executed the second file BOClean reacted and prevx doesn’t. But they could interfere as you said. But for me that isn’t a problem when one detects and blocks /remove it.

Thanks for your reply.
Niels

niels, “leatest” is not “malware” so it isn’t surprising that prevx would allow it to run… BOC has detection of leaktest solely for the purpose of testing BOC, to make sure that BOC is functioning as it should be…

i will add that, when i tested BOC and “trojanhunter” (TH’s "THGuard.exe), in the past, if they were started from a cold start where you would manually start either BOC or “THguard” (as oppsed to their starting automatically at bootup), they would flag the test files, but if they were started from bootup, they wouldn’t…

kesher, i wouldn’t worry about the “leaktest”… if you want to test your firewall with it, you could just run the program without renaming it, or you could rename it to “iexplore.exe” and run it…

when you run “leaktest”, your firewall should pop up an alert asking you if you want to allow the connection when “leaktest” tries to connect out to the internet (and you should click “deny” to deny the connection), in which case your firewall passed the test…

you would have to disable BOC in order for “leaktest” to run, or else BOC will kill the “leaktest” process when you try to run it…

i haven’t spent time with using “leaktest” to test my firewall, apart from just simply running the program, so, if there are other tests that you can do with “leaktest”, i can’t tell you anything about them…

a better test for the comodo firewall, imo, would be to use comodo’s own tester which tries to inject a dll-file into “internet explorer”…

here is a link for comodo’s tester:

also, you can use GRC’s “shieldsup” to have your computer’s ports scanned to see if they are open, or closed, or “stealthed”…

here is a link for GRC’s “shieldsup”:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

redwolfe-98, I have yet not installed BOClean or Spyware Terminator, I just thought that as the GRC leaktest website talks about testing firewalls I might as well try it out on my Comodo FW.
I have tried the Comodo’s own leaktest already and my FW passed all 3 tests also I have just tried the GRC shieldsup test and my FW also passed this 100%.

What I am tryng to find out is that when I want to see if BOClean clashes with another realtime antispy program such as Spyware Terminator for example, there are 3 GRC leaktests and that the instructions for the 1st test entitled: “Masquerading as a Trusted Program” involves me accessing my Comodo FW’s “permissions for the filename of any program that is granted access through the firewall. Then simply rename LeakTest to that name (just as a Trojan, virus, and spyware would) and run it.”

I am not sure how I do this for the 1st leaktest.

And also for the 2nd GRC leak test entitled: “Masquerading as a Trusted Program” the instructions talk about testing a Symantec FW.
So if I want to test for a potential BOClean/AS clash do I simply ignore GRC leaktest No 2 and move on to GRC leaktest No 3? GRC | LeakTest -- How to Use Version 1.x  

THANKS

Well, it’s a safe bet that you’re browser has permission to access the internet?
If you use firefox, rename “leaktest.exe” to “firefox.exe”
If you use IE, rename “leaktest.exe” to “iexplore.exe”

If your firewall is working correctly, it should identify that the file you just renamed to firefox.exe isn’t teh same program that already has permission to access the web, and ask you again.

However, in this case, the main purpose of running leaktest.exe is to test whether boclean will still detect it, even with other protection programs running in real time.

eg, if you run leaktest.exe with just boclean and your AV active, and the file is detected by boclean, but the file is not detected with boclean, AV, and ST (for example) running, you know there is a conflict.

I hope this makes sense. :slight_smile:

(I have not found this to be the case, boclean will detect leaktest, after I tell ST to allow it to run.)

qwerty got it right… for testing BOC, just run “leaktest” as is to see if BOC will flag it…

don’t confuse testing BOC wiith testing your firewall…

for testing your firewall, you can just run “leaktest” as is, or you can try renaming it to “iexplore.exe” to see if your firewall can distinguigh between the real “iexplore.exe” and the fake one, the renamed “leaktest” file… it isn’t much of a test except to see if you your firewall protects you from outbound connections, so it is a pretty simple test…