WiFi network problems

Hey Mac,

Just another thought.

There’s another post on the forum where it looked like DHCP was failing because of a timing issue between the host and the clients.

If the host was booted completely before the client PCs were turned on, DHCP worked. If the clients were turned on first, or if they were all switched on at once, then it failed.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

panic,

I saw that; I believe you were the one who suggested booting Host first, then Client, to see if that worked.

LM

Ok, I turned off Do Protocol Analysis, and now it is working again. I will need to monitor it for a few days and see if it stays fixed.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and patients with me. :BNC

You are welcome :■■■■

ps. Please report back the results :wink:

So far so good.

I have however uncovered a rather strange problem. If my laptop goes into the suspend mode, when I wake it back up, I can not reconnect to the network. Rebooting the laptop does not help, still can’t connect. The ONLY way I reconnect to the WiFi router after the laptop goes to sleep is to either:

A: Turn off Network Monitor in Comodo on the Internet Connection Sharing Host PC

or

B: Reboot the Internet Connection Sharing Host PC

I can live with this, but just thought I would mention it, as maybe it will shed some light on some aspect of what is going on…

Just thought I’d add my response to this one… If you do the “Automatic Configuration” when you install CPF and then goto Security>>>Tasks and select “Add Trusted Zone” it should already pick up your wireless adapter and the full range of IP Addresses for your router (192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255) just keep clicking next and then finish. I’ve never had any problems with it! You can, of course just define a trusted network for a specific IP address if like me you only use one user for the router. Do you use a Static IP Address? Did you change your default router address? Oh, and have you turned off Windows Firewall? That too can cause some problems.

Eric

Ok, I got a challenge for the Comodo brains on here.

First off, let me say thanks for suggesting turning off “Do Protocol Analysis” as that has solved my major issue.

However, I now am still left with a puzzling problem.

If I connect a laptop to the WiFi router and then let the laptop go into the sleep mode, when it wakes, it tries to reconnect and goes through the “Acquiring Network Address” step again, but fails to connect. Here are the steps I have done to try to troubleshoot:

1. Reboot laptop - still fails
  2. Completely turn off Comodo on Laptop - still fails
  3. Added 3 wide open network rules for IP IN/OUT, UDP/TCP IN/OUT and ICMP IN/OUT - Still fails

If I turn off Network monitor on the Internet Connection Sharing Host PC, and then let the laptop “Acquire a Network Address” it will connect. And then once connected, I can turn network monitor back on, and the laptop can still hit the internet through the ICS Host PC.

What in Comodo would cause the laptop not to be able to “Acquire a Network Address” after it had gotten one initially, and then gone to sleep? If I turn Comodo off on the ICS host, or turn off Network monitor, it can re-establish, so I know it is something in Comodo that is doing it.

I know I’ve seen this issue mentioned before with laptops, and maybe in situation other than just ICS (but I think it related to ICS). Goes into sleep/standby; comes out and cannot reconnect automatically. I don’t remember if there was a solution; I’ll have to do some digging here…

LM

Well, it worked ok for about a week after I turned off “Do Protocol Analysis”. Now the problem has returned. I have not installed any updates or gotten any microsoft patches.

When I try to connect, the laptops both fail while “acquiring network address” If I turn off Network Monitor, either laptop can connect fine.

This is driving me nuts. One day it works and the next it doesn’t.

I guess you all have given up on me. Can’t say I blame you. This is really a frustrating problem. Works one day, doesn’t the next.

Hey Fred,

Not given up, just out of ideas. I’m beginning to suspect that there is a timing issue with CFP and DHCP allocation, release and renewal.

Did Comodo support come back with anything?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hey Fred…

You are not alone, I have the exact same problem and have tried the same solutions you did with no luck. I have just resorted to right clicking on the firewall icon and “allowing all” until it gets it’s address and then go back to “custom”.

Quite annoying, but I do not know what to do other than go back to zone alarm, it never had the problem.

I like this one and would really like to keep it.

CT

Well, I feel better at least knowing that I am not the only one with this issue. It seems like Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) has never really been tested on Comodo. Since more and more folks are using WiFi routers, you would think that someone would want to get to the bottom of this and fix it.

Can someone tell me how I go about elevating this issue or opening a trouble ticket on it?

I just submitted a problem ticket, well see how it goes. If a solution is found, I will post it here.

Thanks, Fred. I know you’ve been fightin’ with this for a while now. Sorry we haven’t been able to provide a solid solution. What makes it difficult is that what should work, what does work for others, is not working in your case (and for others also; I realize you’re not the only one).

Although the development team does keep tabs on the forums, it would help if everyone who hasn’t been able to resolve the issue, like you, files tickets with Support: http://support.comodo.com/

LM

I am sorry to report that I have not heard a single thing since opening a problem ticket on this. Not even a confirmation that the ticket was received. Nada.

I’m sorry to hear that Fred. I know the team is working ■■■■■■■ version 3, but that’s not an excuse for no follow up with you. If you log back on support, you can view your ticket. From there you can Reply to it yourself, to “bump” it. Let them know that you respectfully request the honor of a response.

If your email filters through an online server that you can access, you might check spam/junk folders there. A lot of times Support’s emails get caught by junk filters.

LM