Widget Stays On Top when it should be in background [M54]1[v6]

When opening two programs at the same time the widget often stays on top of one of the programs.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE:

1. What you did:
    The two programs I have tested with this are Comodo Dragon and Mozilla Firefox. The issue is that if I click on both to start (note that I click on them at as nearly the same time as possible, but with Comodo Dragon clicked first) I notice that Comodo Dragon loads a second or two earlier than Mozilla Firefox. That is fine. Also, I would like to note that Comodo Dragon does often load in front of the widget, which is correct.

However, if I minimize Comodo Dragon as soon as it appears (note that I only clicked once and did not click on the widget itself at any time. I also never clicked on the icon for CIS.)
2. What actually happened or you actually saw:
When the above steps are followed Mozilla Thunderbird will load correctly, but the widget will be in front of it. I have attached a screenshot of this. Clicking on the window for Thunderbird will move Thunderbird to the front, but the issue is why the widget was on top to begin with.

I’m not sure what causes this, but I do appear to be able to replicate it by following the above steps. Also, please note that the option to be “Always on top” is unchecked. Also, the widget is normally not on top, which is correct. It is just in certain circumstances, one of which is described above, where it is initially on top of an active window.
3. What you expected to happen or see:
Mozilla Thunderbird, or any other program, should load in front of the widget. The widget should always be in the background unless I select the option to be “Always on top”, click on the widget, or right click on the CIS icon.
4. How you tried to fix it & what happened:
All I can do is click on the window for Thunderbird and Thunderbird will move to the front.
5. If a software compatibility problem have you tried the compatibility fixes (link in format)?:
NA
6. Details & exact version of any software (except CIS) involved (with download link unless malware):
NA
7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so precise steps to make it happen:
This is described in A1.
8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):
I’m not sure what causes this. However, I have seen similar behavior with the Bing Desktop program which I recently installed through Windows updates. Sometimes this also loads on top of windows, and often at the same time. However, I can’t easily reproduce it as I can for the Comodo widget. Still, that may give you a hint as to what may be going on.
B. FILES APPENDED. (Please zip unless screenshots).:
0. A diagnostics report file (Click ‘?’ in top right of main GUI) Required for all issues):
Attached.

1. Screenshots of the 6.0 Killswitch Process Tab (see Advanced tasks ~ Watch Activity) or 5.x Active Process List. If accessible, required for all issues::
    Attached.
  2. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
    Attached.
  3. Screenshots of related CIS event logs:
    NA
  4. A CIS config report or file:
    NA
  5. Crash or freeze dump file:
    NA
  6. Screenshot of More~About page. Can be used instead of typed product and AV database version:
    NA

C. YOUR SETUP:

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration:
    Comodo Internet Security Version 6.0.260739.2674
    Database 14614
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?:
    NA
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?:
    NA
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.):
    No, it is default.
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels:
    Default.
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type:
    Windows 7 x64 (Service Pack 1)
  7. Other security and utility software currently installed:
    Just Comodo System Utilities and CCleaner
  8. Other security software previously installed at any time since Windows was last installed:
    No
  9. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box)[color=blue]:
    Not a virtual machine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi Chiron

Have somewhat broadened the citeria for GUI issues, so am forwarding to the child board. Hope that is OK

Mike

Probably a stupid question, but have you checked if “always stay on top” is ticked off?

That option was unchecked, but you were right that it was very important that I explicitly note that in my bug report. I have now updated my description of the bug.

Thanks.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic title, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:I cannot reproduce the problem entirely reliably. For whatever reason when opening a new program the widget is sometimes in front of it instead of behind, as it should be.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:However, I have found one circumstance which makes it possible to reproduce this behavior reliably. The two programs I have tested with this are Comodo Dragon and Mozilla Firefox. The issue is that if I click on both to start (note that I click on them at as nearly the same time as possible, but with Comodo Dragon clicked first) I notice that Comodo Dragon loads a second or two earlier than Mozilla Firefox. That is fine. Also, I would like to note that Comodo Dragon does often load in front of the widget when opened by itself, which is correct.

However, if I minimize Comodo Dragon as soon as it appears (note that I only clicked once and did not click on the widget itself at any time, or the desktop. I also never clicked on the icon for CIS) the behavior reproduces. The widget will load in front of Thunderbird.

• If not obvious, what U expected to happen: The widget should always be in the background unless I select the option to be “Always on top”, click on the widget, or right click on the CIS icon. Every time I open a new program the widget should be in the background.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: Not a software compatibility.
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: I used Comodo Dragon and Mozilla Thunderbird. However, I’ve tested this over different versions, and as I said above, this is just the most reliable way to reproduce the underlying issue.
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc: I’m not sure.
  • Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, (dump if freeze/crash). If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program (not m’ware) I have attached a screenshot of the widget, which loaded on top of Thunderbird, even though I never clicked on it.
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- CIS version & configuration: CIS 6.0.264710.2708. Database 15103. Default configuration.

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: Everything is default.
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): Everything is default.
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS: No, it was a clean reinstall.
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: NA
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do: NA
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, & VM used: Windows 7 x64 (Service Pack 1), UAC is disabled, administrator account, not a virtual machine.
  • Other security/sandbox software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: None.
    [/ol]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Have seen this in v2674 also but just chalked it up to ‘focus’ problem (OS loosing track of what has focus right now) and the fact that the widget is not actually part of the desktop or sidebar.

This issue appears to me to be the same as one already on file. Accordingly, I will merge them, if that’s OK. You can locate the merged report by following the link in the email notification.

If you don’t agree please PM any active mod with your reasons and, if appropriate, they will unmerge the issue.

Many thanks

Mouse

This is still not fixed with version 6.1.275152.2801.

This is still not fixed with CIS version 6.1.276867.2813.

Tracker updated, thanks

This is still not fixed with CIS version 6.2.282872.2847.

I have received feedback from the devs that apparently this is due to default Windows behavior. Thus, it is not a bug with CIS.

Thus, I will move this to Resolved.