Why Threatcast will work [CLOSED]

Don’t actually know - good question! Hopefully one of the devs will pop up with a clear answer.

Also, and this is something that was already suggested in one other thread, but also asked to me today, will Comodo plan to change the way ThreatCast works, as in, make possible for users to keep their own rules, and not see them getting set back to ThreatCast own rules?

At the moment, Threatcast is like pregnancy - you’re either in the club or you’re not. :wink: I can see cases where it would be advisable to diable Threatcast temporarily (malware testing etc. as suggested by a forum member).

Now, one last question, and I'm just asking what I was asked for, since I didn't know how to answer, since I'm not from that time. I was asked what's the difference between this ThreatCast and the old ThreatCast? What has failed with the first version of it? I first knew about the first ThreatCast with a conversation with Melih, when I asked him if ThreatCast would work or not, and forgot to ask what went wrong with the first. But, since, I got asked and couldn't answer, then I take the chance to ask now.

Nothing actually went wrong, AFAIK. I think that it was a case of the new CIS architecture mandated a change to Threatcast, needing to increase the background infrastructure and other development streams taking priority. The concept is the same.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

I really hope so. I think when TC is released, and it starts resetting people’s configurations, they will submit bug reports about it or just disable TC (which will slow the building of the TC database down).

:slight_smile:

This will be the COMODO’s collective intelligence point of view. Great!

I think it is very important for Threatcast to get input from advanced users like myself, you’ll need to do a few things.

One - have a “Threatcast” option to upload choices to threatcast on an alert by alert basis.
Somethine like:
“Send all” - like now, all choices are submitted to threatcast.
“Prompt” - part of the Threatcast popup is a checkbox to submit your choice, with it remembering your last choice (checked or not checked).

I thought about having a “Send None” option, but it seems unnecessary as long as the checkbox for prompt remembers your last choice…

Two - you have to be able to override Threatcast. I’ve said how I’d like it to work, have an option in settings with
“Threatcast” - as now, it auto sets responses, but even better, doesn’t prompt.
“Prompt” - Checks threatcast, provides advice, but rules are per the pop-up or overridden by user settings.
“Off” - works like 3.5, i.e. uses your selections, but doesn’t even querey threatcast.

I’ll also repeat it here, it’s important to make the pop-ups and internet traffice asynchronis so you’re not having users waiting 2-5 seconds or whatever for the pop-up while CIS is waiting on the net.

I was thinking something like always having it set as “send” by default with an option to not send it for that one time, but that’s a good idea to have an option to remember the last choice picked.

See that!

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8422/asquaredalertkn0.png

Treatcast and considerations in only one tab. Like that!

I like it in the bottom corner… :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree!

+1.

Very good! Seems very easy/clear for the average Joe.

edit:
one more point-of-view: there should be another (as much as in need) TC screen/pop-up for EVERY parent app linked to the main app, or, at least, an advice for those rules to be changed…

and if people select treat as… I think threat cast should be able to detect that also… :wink:

and I like everything in 1 tab and I like all the percentage in 1 bar… I like the designs of woop…

Just my opinion… :slight_smile:

it was good. i had to laugh too!

am i missing something here? isn’t tc just for informational purposes? it doesn’t change rules does it?

good point! i have been saying all along that in the end, a true WORLD class firewall should be something granny can use. but should still have the option for advanced users to tweak it their way. that way, who wouldn’t use it?

ThreatCast does not create rules or modify existing ones. It is purely an informational service to users based on prior responses from other users.

Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Hope this helps,

Dead wrong.

The output from ThreatCast is based purely on prior inputs from other users who answered the same alert. It is purely informational and will not create a new rule or modify an existing rule.

Cheers,

Good to hear this… I was really finding it a bit crazy and odd that a rating mechanism is able to change your security policy… (sounds a bit like malware… ;D )

i guess i knew that but thought i might be missing something.
seems to be a lot of confusion with TC