Why not place links to Comodo products on Tucows or Download.com?

Many, many users rely on sources such as these for freeware/shareware distribution. It seems like a natural choice for free advertising.

You could control released versions by simply providing a link rather than allowing redistribution via these alternate channels.

On two cows? Well I in fact have two mother in laws, that would work great! I’ll put it on their shirts!

Actually, they have links for Comodo and a download for the anti spam on there.

Cheers,

Paul

Just a mention, they are on download.com as well. While I see Zone Alarm always seems to get front row , this is probably due to DLDC getting paid to advertise for them although to be fair, ZA has been a leader for a long time. Hopefully this will change as they should give up their leadership in my opinion… :wink: I’ll call them tomorrow and say, hey, i’m putting CPF in the lead now, so step off! They get front row on DLDC! not you! (:CLP)

If only it were that easy, perhaps soon though!

Cheers,

Paul

I guess I didn’t look far enough down the list. The Slashdot article yesterday complaining about the lack of a good home PC backup got me thinking about Comodo’s exposure. Heck, I’ve been using Tawie/Trustix Linux since 1.5 and didn’t even know Comodo existed till a month or so ago. Now that I know the name, I want to promote their products wherever I can.

You know, I agree and I too didn’t even hear the name until ZA did it’s last and final ■■■ me off, I did a search and finally found Comodo, a firewall that had what I wanted, worked great and looked like eye candy at the same time. I would be happy to advertise but aside from recommending it and voting, etc…there isn’t much I can do. I am not sure what the reasoning is or what they have in store for commercializing their products but many great things have began by word of mouth and perhaps all us dedicated users of Comodo will one day be the reason Comodo gets completely recognized for what it is. If you can trust the users, you may better trust the software. Don’t know, just a pepped up coffee analogy. :wink: I may be out of my environment when it comes to marketing etc…but to me it seems Comodo wants to build up slowly, gain trusted users day by day, make good products and perhaps stay out of the main light until this is accomplished. Not that they don’t have this but for free home use software, I think it is still building on a solid user foundation and wants to be completely solid before stepping in the very front row. Say if I were to make a product , even though it was excellent, if I only had a few thousand people who knew of it or used it , not all but some, my chances of going up front would be slim and may actually do harm by scrutiny. I am not saying this is Comodo’s case with home based free and paid software, but just a MAYBE. So by slowly getting the word out it builds and builds until it becomes numero uno. This is just my MAYBE take on this and can’t say either way.

Cheers,

Paul

go to download.com type firewall… check the second page on that… we are there… right at the bottom… but slowly climbing up (:KWL)

Melih

I agree. I think it is better for Comodo to build their brand slowly rather than just jump out into the front row. Although CPF is an excellent firewall, there are many instances where it is not compatible with other programs. I think it is only after Comodo have ironed out all of the conflicts should they jump into the limelight.

Another thing that I would like to bring up is that Comodo is not on Snapfiles.com. I have posted this in another thread: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1681.0.html.

This link will lead you to Snapfiles under the Freeware Personal Firewall section: Free Firewalls - SnapFiles. I think Comodo should be up there as Snapfiles is one of the popular sites for Freeware searches. Just an opinion though.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

I agree with you completely DoomScythe. I’ve noticed the lack of CPF’s presence on Snapfiles, and wondered why it’s not listed. It certainly deserves to be.

I’ve never used or heard of snapfiles, but I know tucows because we used to mirror the Windows & Linux archives. We stopped when traffic became too heavy (bout 2001).

I am taking care of this as we speak. I am supposed to be getting a reply and hopefully get Comodo on there.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi comicfan2000,
Loved your mother-in-law jokes ;D
Just before you replied to my post, I checked out the Snapfiles website about submitting software. I may have misunderstood, but I thought it said the software developer, or an approved party had to submit.

Actually not even so\perhaps but Comodo isn’t on their list due to this which is a direct reply…

<< Hi,

Comodo collect the user’s email address before he can use the software.
We do not list products that require the user to submit his email address
before the software can be used.

Regards,

Marco Gransee>>

So that’s that I guess.

Cheers,

Paul

I just want to note, they are full of it! Adobe Cs2 trial requires an email addy for an account before you can download it and they in fact have it on their site!

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en&product=photoshop

Time to do some emailing!

Cheers,

Paul

I am still waiting for a reply ::)…they are probably scanning the comodo threads as we speak…loll

Soon as I get a reply, I will post immediately.

Cheers,

Paul

Instead of wasting room, <------still nothing. The first reply was instantaneous, but will give the benefit of the doubt. I’ll see if I get one tomorrow.

Cheers again,

Paul

BTW

check out download.com people can download CPF without requiring to give any email address. Snapfile can do that also without any problems! They can simply take the downloadable file and make it available. CPF does not require email to be functional.

Melih

Thank you for that Melih and you in fact stopped me in my tracks as I was about to post this as well. I have not recieved a reply but as stated, I can wait. :wink: I will get Comodo on there, just watch, if I learned anything from my wife, it was to be persistant without ignorance and things will come through. :wink:

Cheers,

Paul

At some point, some software reviewer at Snapfiles made a judgement call and placed CPF and CAV on a bad list. That’ll change.

I believe I will send them an e-mail about this.

I don’t doubt it. I just sent them a freindly e-mail asking why and you saw the reply. I re-emailed them asking how adobe photoshop cs2 could in fact be on there when they want a member signup, email and all. No response, and I included a hint about download.com placing comodo in there without the e-mail sign up, no response. We’ll see, they may be gone home for the day so I will place benefit of the doubt there. I will probably get an e-mail later tomorrow, or since Saturday, maybe not.

Cheers,

Paul

You go Justin! Show them what universal domination is all about! With your um…bunny? :smiley:

Cheers,

Paul