Why I (reluctantly) went back to Outpost

I used Outpost Free for 2 1/2 years. If you create too many rules it crashes your computer so I tried Comodo, Netveda (just an on/off switch) and Jetico (an alien spaceship), ultimately choosing Comodo. It is similar to Outpost in many ways, with a few pros and cons. I used it with Proxomitron to replace Outpost’s popup and ad-blocking. The one thing that proved irreplaceable was Outpost’s cookie handling. With Outpost when you encounter a cookie you get a prompt asking what to do; you can temporarily block/allow all cookies or permanently block/allow them for this website, it only takes one click. I spent many long hours tring to find a freeware replacement but all I could find were cookie deleters and programs that are as tedious as Internet Explorer’s ridiculous cookie handling (go into a configuration dialog and ponce around with it for a while for EVERY website). After clicking thousands of cookie handling dialogs I decided that nothing compared to Outpost’s one-click cookie handling. If there is a freeware alternative to this feature please post it here, I would prefer to use Comodo. Thanks.

Hi Ozular, you’re talking about the active content plugin… Yes, it’s very usefull giving you superior control on web downloading items when surfing individually site by site. As outpost members say it’s just bonus with a good firewall. My opinion is we should let the firewall do the job. Don’t care about privacy. This is something different. If your firewall protects you real good, like comodo does, use it. Outpost is not so good as comodo in compatibility and not so friendly. (R)

why didn’t you put it in the wishlist for implementing?

Melih

You could let Opera or Firefox handle your cookie management. Both will prompt you rather than having to add manually.

:slight_smile:

You can allow cookies for all wegpages in IE, but it is not very safe.
I block all cookies in IE except allowed and I can easily allow needed.
When I used Outpost Pro I got almost mad with cookies set to Prompt.

I have *Third party cookies blocked, that stops 95% of spyware cookies anyway. *(Cookies from sites your not viewing, via adverts/banners etc). Known spyware cookies are also blocked by my host file and restricted sites list (IE-Spyads).

With this setup any cookies I do get are most likely to be harmless login etc cookies that are cleaned with CCLeaner at startup. I have a small list of blocked sites, that Adaware found but its very rarely needed to be updated. No prompts are needed…

In my opinion, cookie handling should be a browser function. If you use IE, you can set it to handle most cookies the way you want fairly easily.

Ozular,

I understand that you use IE, however I don’t have a solution for you.

I hope you don’t take offense by me taking a liberty and giving other CPF user’s that use Firefox an alternative for cookie handling… Well you as well.

For those who miss the option of not allowing third party cookies in FF 2, there is a Firefox Extension that has this option. CookieSafe is one solution. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2497/

The setting can be found in CookieSafe>Options>Global>Allow for originating website only.

Plenty of discussion at MozillaZine. Here is one example Fx 2.0 / Cookies management - mozillaZine Forums

Did you know that you can set IE7 to prompt you for every cookie?

Hi, have you tried here? http://pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,8060-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
I used to use that but with Firefox, no need. The few cookies i get are legit usually and I simply clear them after browsing. Firefox remembers passwords, etc…very well, and with bookmarks, getting rid of a few cookies is no issue for me.

Paul