Why doesn't Comodo release a Firewall Standalone?

Not everyone want’s a 5-in-one product, HIPS, Sandbox, AV, some just want the ■■■■ Firewall and Firewall ONLY.

And don’t just say “disable them” in the options, they’re still there.

Probably because if Comodo wanted to release a standalone, they would have to modify the firewall so the firewall isn’t interconnected with other components.
For example, in the safe mode setting for the firewall, if you select “Do not show popup alerts-block requests” then it will only block connections for applications running in the sandbox.
That’s also probably why a standalone virtual desktop (or sandbox) hasn’t been released. Some features such as managing application connections and the HIPS which works in the background even when disabled would have to be ported to the standalone virtual desktop or sandbox to work effectively. For example, even if an application is running in the sandbox, by default it still isn’t allowed to do things such as obtain direct disk access or install a driver, even with no restriction.

So to create a standalone firewall or virtual desktop, Comodo would have to make modifications to them, and that may cause discrepancies in the functionality of the product, which would be awkward for development, especially as Comodo FW/AV/IS were all made as layered approaches to security.
EDIT: To improve my wording, this basically means that a standalone product may have discrepancies in it’s functionality unlike if it was integrated with the full Comodo Firewall or I.S.

The good thing is that if you disable the other components except for the Firewall , it doesn’t cause Comodo Firewall to display a big red X.

With Firewall set to Safe Mode and if you select Do not show popup alert: Block Requests
it will block any unknown application from connecting to internet, regardles if they run inside the sandbox or outside.

True, but any application that is running in the SB will be blocked from connecting, unknowns will be blocked regardless.
That was just an example of program interconnected-ness for the firewall that I could think of at the top of my head, I’m fairly certain there are much more under the hood.

EDIT: So the main thing that the Firewall is interconnected to is the File Rating system, without it there would be a lot of popups from the FW. So for a standalone FW Comodo would need to port a limited version of the File Rating system (without the detection and removal/quarantine for malicious programs). So therefore a standalone FW with no AV element whatsoever would be weird to implement.

That would be a wet dream come true if it happened, Firewall/File Rating together as a standalone. Wish they would consider it.

None of this makes any sense as they do provide an online installer just for Comodo Firewall so if that is possible why not an offline installer. No I think they don’t want to make it easy to install just one component. By only providing an online installer they dictate which version you install.If you want that full package then they give you an offline installer.

Uh, they do. Go to their main site, click “Personal” and then there is a list in blue letters, about half-way there is the standalone firewall.

The installer being offline or online does not have anything to do with what the op has requested. You can’t just exclude certain security components; each component relies on other components to work and function correctly. You can think of CFW (or any other layered program with tightly integrated components) as a brain; if the main components are missing (SB and HIPS come to mind) then the others won’t do much or function correctly without having to modify things a lot. If Comodo were to allow the user to pick any combination of security components to install they would have to make sure all combinations works properly. It’s not that they want to make it hard for the users, rather its b/c it’s hard for them to do such a thing (or more of a waste of time actually).

By standalone firewall he means that there are no additional components in the firewall except for the firewall itself (and perhaps web filtering). Firewall also comes with sandbox, hips, and virusscope, in which you cannot determine whether to not install these components.
Edit: Improved wording

if you want a fw only, better to use win fw (better if coupled with a controller, such as tinywall or binisoft wfc)

i has been use wfc, i must say that is a great tool. but only use wfc is too week, not enough to protect ourself.
i think comodo firewall , hips, and auto-sandbox, 3 in one is the best assemble. :wink:

+1

comodo goes the way so many other products have gone… BLOATWARE.

the really bad thing is that so many of the components are just BUGGY as hell.

it seems comodo works on 10 places at the same time and none is done properly.

it´s like many browser coder (from mozilla, google ect.) wrote, AV and other security programs are often a nightmare.
and they often introduce more security holes then they fix.

if only someone would code a proper userfriendly frontend for the windows firewall.

They have, check out Windows Firewall Control by BiniSoft. I have completely removed and moved on from Comodo products and couldn’t be happier now, My system is also so much more snapper now too without all the bloat HIPS running.

i know that frontend for a few years.

unfortunately it´ not userfriendly and i found it to be buggy.

Been using tinywall with ccav for a while and feeling great

You mean you want them to no longer be visible in the UI when disabled?

Could you please let us know where the bloat is?

the really bad thing is that so many of the components are just BUGGY as hell.

it seems comodo works on 10 places at the same time and none is done properly.

Please elaboarate.

it´s like many browser coder (from mozilla, google ect.) wrote, AV and other security programs are often a nightmare.
The lack of proper grammar makes me lose track here. Could you rephrase and untangle your thoughts in properly written language?
and they often introduce more security holes then they fix.
Please notice that software errors will always occur with all software. It seems you're just here to bash.
if only someone would code a proper userfriendly frontend for the windows firewall.
I guess the Comodo firewall in the end is not that buggy.

I am not quite impressed with your contribution; being broad sweeping statements lacking corroboration. It smells a certain way.

Eric- You really shouldn’t bother replying to the riff-raff as it is pointless. Fortunately drivel such as has been posted above has been mostly replaced by positive attestations from new users who are coming to understand just how powerful and effective Comodo products can be.

A while back I made a wish for a modular installation of CIS, where the user can choose which modules to install. Like that, what you don’t select is even not download:

When not installing certain CIS features you will win little hd space. Quite some functionality is integrated in cmdagent.exe and additional dll files only take up but so much space. However not installing browsers will make more of a difference in download size and hd space.

From their point of view, it is already modular. Perhaps what you are asking for is a configuration wizard or a more detailed installation process. I’m not sure if it’s worth the time.
If you are experiencing performance issues, you should report these.

I’m just making sure he and others get the message we’re not too fond of this type of contributions.