why does my firefox home page keep changing to comodo's yahoo page

Recently, my firefox home page has been turning up as Yahoo.com instead of what I normally have. I have changed it back a few times but it happened again today so I started looking into the issue. I found that the registry key

HKU\S-1-5-21-3562293704-32423027-4047423185-1000\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

had the value,

This seems to affect my firefox startpage as well.

Why has my startpage changed to a comodo yahoo page? What is making this change in my registry?

LMHmedchem

Did you recently install CIS? With default installer settings your homepage will be set to Yahoo.

It is totally unacceptable for payware to change your homepage settings by default. This is making a change in the operating system registry and is an adware/malware/spyware practice that systems like CIS are supposed to prevent, not engage in for profit. Is CIS going to start installing spyware if the spyware creator pays Comodo enough? I am paying Comodo to be protected, not exploited.

I haven’t recently installed Comodo. The installation is almost one year old. Clearly this change was made recently, so there must be some other Comodo component that is doing this other than the installer.

LMHmedchem

I get your frustration.

CIS is not payware and setting a homepage is not a spyware behaviour. The latter is behaviour of adware. From a personal perspective; 12,5 years on the web taught me to look before I click when installing. It saves a lot of frustration.

If I recall correctly the updater of CIS also has a section for setting secure DNS and homepage. But don’t pin me on it.

I’m not sure how Comodo CIS isn’t payware when I have to pay for it. What else would it be called? I just paid $40 to renew my subscription. All features of CIS stop working immediately when the subscription runs out. It doesn’t even revert to the feature set available in the free version.

I also am meticulous about looking through the features of installers. In this case, there was no installer. This version was installed over a year ago and hasn’t been updated because updates will install the completely unusable version 8. The change to Yahoo was completely out of the blue. I happened several times before I figured out that Comodo was doing it.

Today, when I entered the new registration code that I just bought, my homepage and search engine were again changed to Yahoo. There was no installer dialog as there shouldn’t have been because I just registered an existing installation. Something must have been run in the background because GeekBuddy was reinstalled, even though I have manually removed it many times. My firewall settings were changed from the custom policy the I use to some canned policy. Again, all of this was without any warning or notification, let alone a prompt for permission. Comodo just went into my registry and changed my homepage settings. Last time I checked, browser hijacking was considered a malicious activity that apps like CIS are supposed to block.

Of course, I am still completely unable to update the AV database. I get no response whatsoever from the supposed technical support when I open a ticket.

Someone remind me exactly why it is that I am paying for this software.

LMHmedchem

You are a paid users with the additional services.

Does CIS stop working once subscription runs out? I would expect it to keep on working and the additional services to stop. But I must admit I have only used the free version.

I also am meticulous about looking through the features of installers. In this case, there was no installer. This version was installed over a year ago and hasn't been updated because updates will install the completely unusable version 8. The change to Yahoo was completely out of the blue. I happened several times before I figured out that Comodo was doing it.

Today, when I entered the new registration code that I just bought, my homepage and search engine were again changed to Yahoo. There was no installer dialog as there shouldn’t have been because I just registered an existing installation. Something must have been run in the background because GeekBuddy was reinstalled, even though I have manually removed it many times. My firewall settings were changed from the custom policy the I use to some canned policy. Again, all of this was without any warning or notification, let alone a prompt for permission. Comodo just went into my registry and changed my homepage settings. Last time I checked, browser hijacking was considered a malicious activity that apps like CIS are supposed to block.

Of course, I am still completely unable to update the AV database. I get no response whatsoever from the supposed technical support when I open a ticket.

Someone remind me exactly why it is that I am paying for this software.

LMHmedchem

Not sure what is happening… :-\

Yes CIS becomes completely non functional as soon as your license expires. AV, firewall, and D+ are all permanently marked as disabled and you don’t even have very much access to the GUI.

It’s strange that they offer a fairly complete free version, but apparently don’t extend the free functionality to the paying customers, even for a grace period.

I think it’s fairly clear what is happening. Comodo is far more interested in generating income from groups like Yahoo then they are in protecting the privacy and security of their users. It makes you wonder what other user data they are allowing to be compromised or collecting and selling off on their own. They have this new “Comodo Friends” program where they are paying Comodo users to spam their friends with Comodo advertizements. Apparently if are willing to sell out enough of your friends, they will let you use Comodo for free.

LMHmedchem

That’s truly odd…

I think it's fairly clear what is happening. Comodo is far more interested in generating income from groups like Yahoo then they are in protecting the privacy and security of their users. It makes you wonder what other user data they are allowing to be compromised or collecting and selling off on their own.
Comodo does not sell data to third parties.
They have this new "Comodo Friends" program where they are paying Comodo users to spam their friends with Comodo advertizements. Apparently if are willing to sell out enough of your friends, they will let you use Comodo for free.
That is only for the Pro version.

Comodo tends to seak some sort of external source of income. It’s what I have come to expect. Comodo Friends is such an initiative. It’s not my cuppa…

But they do share it with their ‘trusted partners’.

Hello,

Please let me know your problem in detail and I would be happy to help you in any case.

I will check your problem with the technical team and try to reproduce.

You may send me a pm with the details and the screenshots of your problem.

Kind Regards
Buket