Why does CIS have index.dat internet history open?

So I was browsing the open, constantly accessed files on my computer and noticed cmdagent has locked my internet history files.

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
0x48c
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat
0x49c

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat 0x4a8

I was wondering what the purpose of this was? It is only the internet explorer history, not any other browsers. Is this some kind of web protection?

Are you running D+ in Paranoid Mode?

What logs are you showing? I am not sure what they mean.

First of all, thank you captainsticks for placing this in the proper forum. I was not sure where to put it since it could be either AV,D+ or FW.

Hello EricJH! Thank you for a prompt response. In answer to your first question, no, I am not running D+ in paranoid mode. I am running the latest CIS as my sole security application with all 3 components installed and the configurations on “Safe Mode”

Utilizing a utility that shows “Locked files” or files in use by other programs on my computer I noticed this. The hex number shows the “handle” that cmdagent.exe has locked onto the history files with. Its not very useful as it changes each logon. I should specify that this was with a Windows 7 32bit install however I have confirmed the same action with a Windows XP install as well. On widows XP those are the only files cmdagaent is accessing. I was going to share the utilities name but I was concerned it may be beyond the scope of general users and could result in accidents. I would be happy to tell you the name via PM, it is a well known tool.

I am just trying to understand why this behavior is occurring. There are no other programs on my computer that have constant access to my internet history files in such a manner.

Cmdagent.exe will monitor what is happening “under the hood” of Windows. The index.dat is part of Internet Explorer and when IE or one of its BHO’s is active then index.dat will be active; that will trigger cmdagent.exe.