why do programs leave stuff behind when the user uninstalls a program

yes i understand that if the user is uninstalling a browser that usually the user has the option to keep the profile if they plan on reinstalling but if the user chooses to uninstall everything then why doesn’t it uninstall everything like it implies including the registry keys.

do program developers gain something from leaving behind files, folders and reg keys on the users computer?

if not then why do it? program developers should be responsible and clean up all there mess instead of just some of it when a user decides to uninstall their program unless there’s a good reason for leaving stuff behind.

i personally think that devs just make ■■■■■■ installers but i don’t know for sure which is why i’m asking this question. am i just being ignorant or am i on the money? if i’m being ignorant, it’s ok to tell me i am. i wont take it personal

Yes sometimes but not always :slight_smile:

It all depends on what you have on your computer at the time of uninstall.

If you only have OS processes running there should really be no reason why the uninstaller should fail.

Dennis

Most files, folders or reg keys left behind from an uninstall would be accidental. I cannot see any way it could be for personal gain for the developers, if anything a clean uninstall would create a better reputation which could benefit the devs. Sometimes just uninstall programming that isn’t quite perfect could result in some left overs. Another way is some programs create reg keys, folders or files along the way during normal use and these extra files or keys created vary from user to user, and system to system. No uninstaller can predict these variants from user to user, and system to system resulting in some left overs. Most programs will leave a bit behind, but most is harmless. Kind regards.

then why don’t devs put something in the install that tracks everything created from the program but not report back to the dev. that way when the user decides to uninstall, the program will be completely uninstalled because it tracked everything created by the program

Hi again. Not real sure why, but my guess would be anything that tracks activity would put more load on the system during use. If all programs did this I would expect the system to possibly become sluggish.

trscsaeg is right in his anger.
Programs should uninstall properly.
But they don’t, and that’s why we need apps like Revo Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download
and apps like Auslogics Best Free Registry Cleaner [Download] — Auslogics

Devs have quite a task on their hands writing code so as to make the program work.
Whoever pays their wages worry only about if the stuff is polished enough (it never is).
Who cares about the uninstallation? Let it be a problem for the user (who mostly knows nothing about it).

And when things stop working send the machine to the corner shop (how many users heard about System Recovery, and what F8 does, and what F10 does and so on).

And at the corner shop you will find either a professional or an amateur.

It’s basicly a very low priority, thats why people created uninstallers Comodo Program Manager or revouninstaller works good too

i really like revo but it doesn’t detect everything. never used austiol whatever. i like the aproach of comodo’s uninstaller but i noticed that when i monitored an uninstall with comodo and then used the comodo uninstall that some of the left overs detected had microsoft in the name and nothing regarding the actual program i was uninstalling on the last three left overs found and the program wasn’t a microsoft program. i can’t remember what i was uninstalling at the time but i was too afriad to tell comodo to uninstall those last 3 files. i can’t think of a reason why comodo would detect microsoft files on a non microsoft program. then again just because microsoft was in the name, doesn’t mean it was a microsoft file. but i don’t know because after microsoft appeared in the name it was just a bunch of jiberish and numbers after microsoft in the file

If CPM monitored the install, then those are things that the installer put there during installation…

but why would it have something with microsoft in the name and then a bunch of numbers and whatever after microsoft in the file path

Some non microsoft products that need things like MS .net framework to run will install this automatically. So a monitored install/uninstaller would pick up on this. Kind regards.

but why would it have something with microsoft in the name and then a bunch of numbers and whatever after microsoft in the file path
and
really like revo but it doesn't detect everything. never used austiol whatever. i like the aproach of Comodo's uninstaller but i noticed that when i monitored an uninstall with Comodo and then used the Comodo uninstall that some of the left overs detected had microsoft in the name and nothing regarding the actual program i was uninstalling on the last three left overs found and the program wasn't a microsoft program
Some entries are created by Windows when the program is used. They are not created by the setup itself. That's why it revouninstaller can't find it. It trys to find as many as it can, but can't find all of it. Revo does a scan after uninstalling to see what else it can find.

The only possible solution to keep leftovers to a minimum is use a portable version of that software
(example) for firefox, there’s portable firefox.

I would only use portable software from people that know how to make a good portable software because they keep the leftovers to a minimum. Also there’s alot of half-a$$ ones out there (like I made one too, it’s a portable comodo dragon here on the forum, it’s portable so there’s no need to install it, it can go on a memory stick with no problem but there are some leftovers.

There are a couple of sites out there that create portable version of software, but the only one that I trust is Portable App Directory (over 400 free) - PortableApps.com. I’m sure there are other ones out there, but I don’t want to be a guinne pig and find out :slight_smile:

Revo is my favorite uninstaller but it doesn’t support 64-bit programs uninstallation even if it does say so in its main page.

Let me use this thread to ask for opinions on other uninstallers.

Regards.

Only the pro verison is compatible with 64bit.

I took my time to look some info for you and this what i found after searching. Uninstaller for 64-bit | Wilders Security Forums

Regards,
Valentin N

i should have been more clear when i said revo doesn’t detect everything. what i meant was is it doesn’t detect all the programs installed on computers. especially some bloatware found on brand new computers from the manufacturer like “vaio gate” which is a dock station program that they put on sony vaios which works like the dock station on macs. so i can’t do an revo uninstall if revo doesn’t know that the program is there. windows uninstaller doesn’t know it’s there either. so what do you do in cases like that

Thanks Valentin.

Hi Valentin,

That was very old thread (2009)
You can easily find quite recent discussions about Revo (free; pro; portable; etc.)

Only the pro verison is compatible with 64bit.
That is not correct - Revo is 32bit Application and it [b]is[/b] compatible with x64 platform (whether Free or Pro)

… but
the the free version will not uninstall 64bit Applications (which is different)
Basicaly, since the majority of Apps users are running on x64 are still 32bit Revo will do fine
As for 64bit Apps as far as I understand you have to use the Pro version as stated here

I don’t know whether they have plans to include 64bit Apps support into the Free edition.

My regards

p.s. e.g. more recent discussion with the answer from the Revo team:

Can someone share their experiences with uninstallers (free ones) other than Revo?

Regards.

Edit: what do you think about ZSoft Software: Software Details: ZSoft Uninstaller 2.5
or Glary Utilities - Free System Utilities to Clean Registry, Fix PC Errors, Protect Privacy | Glarysoft

You could try looking in the program files for the programs folder that you want to remove, and see if you can find a file that resembles uninstall. If found double click to activate uninstall process. Good luck and kind regards.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-program-un-installer.htm