Why disable antivirus?

On further consideration of points made here I do think there’s a good case for consistency of all three elements of CIS in the pop-up menu, as in the 3rd picture here, although I’d like to have all three items removed from the pop-up menu in Basic Mode.

John

I do not agree (for reasons already stated). Please give this a rest. Thank you.
~John

Who is anyone to say that somebody else shouldn’t be able to drive without a seatbelt, or ride a motorcycle without a crash helmet? We do this because there is a compelling public interest in highway safety, to prevent additional harm and/or cost to society.

Businesses likewise have a legitimate interest in saying employees shouldn’t be able to disable AV in order to protect the business and its property.

I think we’ll eventually get to the point where people will be legally responsible for harm caused by machines that have gotten infected through negligence, but no one is actually suggesting that yet.

These posts were originally just an objection to adding a pop-up CIS icon menu item to disable AV, hijacked from that Wish to this Forum. If you read the entire topic you’ll see that I’ve since dropped that objection, making the issue moot (although I still would like a Basic or Simple mode where options to disable protection do not appear on the CIS pop-up menu).

John

Sorry if my response to your question requesting the exact contents of that response, irritates you. I was merely trying to respond in accordance with your request; since you mentioned it twice, I figured it was important to you.

May it RIP.

LM

Many (most?) won’t disable AV for any reason.
Like me, they see no good reason to do so, and lots of reasons not to.

If (say) your computer was implicated in a DoS attack that caused great damage, the burden of proof that it wasn’t your fault might well be on you. Just like driving a car with ■■■■■■ brakes that kills someone, and trying to claim it’s not your fault.

I’m not able to use any product professionally that can be easily disabled, and I don’t want my clients being confused by options that don’t work.

We only deploy applications that aren’t ■■■■.
If an application turns to ■■■■, we replace it with something that isn’t ■■■■.
What we don’t do is allow protection to be turned off.

Don’t presume to tell me my business, and I won’t presume to tell you how reckless you are. Deal?

John

Good. I don’t agree, don’t have time to argue, and don’t appreciate the attitude.

John

!ot!
I think you started this thread with a argument when asking “Why disable antivirus?”.
And should know that there probably will be a discussion/argument of people thinking both ways.
About that “don’t appreciate the attitude” thing I think m00nbl00d’s idea was just to say where he stands and I don’t think he meant something personal.

Anyway of course you have the right to stop participating in a thread too when you feels like this don’t go anywhere or for whatever reason. Anyway have a good time all three of you, all made valid points! :slight_smile:

No, this topic is actually the invention of the Moderator that hijacked my post (but not the post I was responding to, destroying the context) from the AV Wish Enable/Disable Antivirus with rightclick on the icon.

Sorry, but that’s not how it seems to me. I’ve beta tested for a great many companies, and this is one of the more unprofessional environments I’ve encountered.