Which XP services are necessary?

Hello! I’m having difficulty with the Application Monitor’s ability to remember my instructions. The problem occurs regardless of whether I respond to a dialog box or manually write the rule. I believe the trouble started when I began disabling non-essential Windows services, following advice I found at various security websites, such as Tweakhound, Labmice and Eldergeek. Before I start experimenting by re-enabling services one-by-one, could someone tell me which services are necessary for smooth operation of CPF?

Thank you all.

Unfortunately, all windows services are necessary. Go back and reverse the advice you took. When you get a warning message while attempting to transmit that involves a Windows service than that service is needed.

I am sorry to disagree with culpeper’s advice! In fact many Windows services are unnecessary,. especially in Windows XP Home on stand alone systems. The advice at ElderGeek vis entirely reliable and even conservative in advising about which services can be disabled. Black Viper’s advice was more thorough, but is, as far as I know, no longer easily available. Google might find him, though.

There are, of course, some essential services: svchost is the most significant here: it actually provides a long list of important ones and alerts involving it must be carefully considered.

I think Terminal service is needed.

I am running 5 services and Comodo remembers my aplication rules.
About Components or Behaviour popups, no idea, they are disabled.

black vipers list:

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

Terminal service used to be needed to stop a Comodo error message at startup but that was fixed. Its disabled on mine now.

I have mine set to tweak hounds list, I checked with black vipers more detailed advice to make sure.

I’ve found that by disabling terminal services, the Security Center component will no longer appear in the systray if it has any warnings to display. YMMV

Al

If you are uncertain if a specific service can be safely disable or not, then try setting it to “Manual”. This way Windows will only run the service if it is needed. Once you’ve rebooted & have run your normal set of applications (going on-line, etc…), then you can check the services again to see if it is actually running or not. This will give you a good indication if it is safe to disabled that service. You should also check the services dependencies to ensure you are not going disable something vital.

Thank you for your replies. I did find out about Terminal Services once when I turned it off and was immediately reprimanded by Comodo! I will just experiment, one service at a time.

Black Vipers list is a good place to start, although it is somewhat outdated as it does not address all the services, especially some of the newer ones included with SP2.

Elder the Geek was mentioned in an earlier post and the advice and insight as to what is going on in your computer and what software does what is invaluable.

Something to keep in mind; even when you change them some of the updates from Microsoft are notorious for turning services back on that you may have disabled. I keep a list of what I changed and check them each time I update, just in case.

Depending on your CPF settings you may experience more warning for a while after turning services off till you teach CPF your new configuration.