Which Security Programs To Use

Hi Chiron

Can Comodo Internet Security be installed with IceDragon, instead of Dragon?

Both are very good browsers, but as I’m an ex-Firefox user, am used to and like their interface equivalent in IceDragon and want to keep my resources as low as possible (CCleaner has regained my computer 29 GB of previously lost space for instance), I’d prefer to use CIS with just IceDragon.

Also, to use CIS, although I could use it with AVG anti-virus, would I need to uninstall any or all of the following?:

Spyware Blaster

Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (for some reason, this has never detected any malware on my computer, which Super Anti Spyware has picked up)

Super Anti Spyware

You can use customize installer to opt out of installing Comodo Dragon. This is not mandatory.

I don’t think there should be problems with Spyware Blaster, although I’m not sure how effective that program is these days. As for Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, as long as these are the free versions there will be no problems. If one of them is the paid version just be sure to add the files of CIS to their exclusions list, and the files of that program to the exclusions list of CIS.

Thanks for your recommendations.

I’m almost sure that the original Spyware Blaster had a Scan function (like for anti viruses), but not in my version. I’ve just opened it up and it says there is a new version. JavaCool Software’s web site has now changed. Version 5.0 can now be downloaded at:

http://www.brightfort.com/sbupdate.html

While good in its time, if you think Spyware Blaster makes little difference about protection these days, I’ll uninstall it.

As to Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, I temporarily had the free trial version of the latter a few months ago, but I now have just the free versions of both.

OK, I shall set about installing Comodo Firewall later today.

For interest, they probably don’t, but I thought it best to check, do Norton’s DNS servers pass on customers’ usage to third parties? (some DNS servers are reported to).

I might try out their servers, but am unsure where the nearest UK one is to my area. I know that Comodo’s nearest DNS servers to me are currently in Manchester, several hundred miles away (not on the extensive DNS Search list for some reason), so I chose not to switch to them as they’d considerably slow down my navigation.

Also, is it a fault or just an individual decision on the part of DNS servers which have a Single IP address, like my ISP does? and

Do DNS servers with 2 IP addresses give greater protection and faster speed to users’ web navigations?

Not sure about third parties and Norton but Norton’s UK server is based in London. Norton DNS is good. But I prefer OpenDNS now.

I’ve read that OpenDNS is best served for USA users, due to the long distance from other countries.

I’ve found that TCP/IPv4 is the best option, but how do I proceed?

To add in a different DNS server, it lists “Use the following IP address” and “Use the following DNS server addresses”

“General” tab has the options of:
IP address; Subnet mask; Default gateway
Preferred DNS server; Alternate DNS server

“Alternate Configuration” tab has the options of:
User configured
IP address; Subnet mask; Default gateway; Preferred DNS server; Alternate DNS server; Preferred WINS server; Alternate WINS server

For some reason, there is no listing of my ISP’s IP address or DNS server.

I’d like to try out Norton, especially if it speeds up my browsing, but my local ISP is my nearest DNS server, so would probably be the fastest.

I hope you don’t mind, but as this discussion was trailing off topic I split it, gave it a more fitting title, and moved it to a more relevant portion of the forum.

I’d like to also add that as far as I know OpenDNS does not block malicious sites.

No problem. That was a very good idea, as sometimes discussions can unintentionally go off topic. :slight_smile:

As to OpenDNS, while it sounds very good, as blocking out malicious sites is something I’m very keen on (as I’ve bumped on a few now and again by accident and genuine ones that have been infected or are safe but blocked by AVG), I’ll stick with my existing ISP for now, but will keep Norton in mind. It’s just that Norton’s nearest server is around 100 miles from me compared with my local ISP just up the road, so the latter would probably be fastest.

OpenDNS has a server in London as well. Yes OpenDNS don’t block malware sites like Norton but it is the best when it comes to the phishing protection. Also it can protect you against DNS Rebinding Attacks… Norton DNS can’t.

I will have to think this through very carefully, as my ISP, Norton and OpenDNS all have invaluable uses, but like with software programs, there is similarly a dilemma here whereby what one lacks another gains, making it very difficult to make a decision.

From what I know so far, DNS servers which block out malicious web sites can occasionally be over-zealous and accidentally block out genuine ones due to a false positive, like AVG blocking out 2 links of an otherwise accessible web site which Web Inspector gives the all clear to in all links of that site, but the anti-phishing concept is very useful.

The web site saying that OpenDNS is only in the USA must be well out of date. That’s the problem with information, some web sites have useful but outdated information, and some list no dates, so you don’t know how up to date the information is.

It’s good to know that Norton has a server in London. I don’t know if there’s a contact address for Norton (assuming this is the same company which makes an anti-virus and Internet Security Suite), but if I could contact them, they might know how well London serves other areas of the UK for speed.

I’ve used Norton DNS for several months (I live in the UK) and had no problems with speed etc., I suppose it depends on you’re connection speed/internet provider.

I never knew Norton had DNS severs in the UK, may be that’s why all is fine…

Hi Tony

Like you, I also live in the UK.

Norton sounds very good. Maybe long distances in different parts of the UK don’t decrease speed after all. It’s just, upon doing a DNS Server search a few months ago, which came up with mostly but not all USA based DNS servers and surprisingly no sign of Comodo’s Manchester one, it put my local ISP at the top of the list for fastest and nearest.

I haven’t yet done a connection speed test since changing provider, but I’ll do this to see how fast it is. However, our ISP has changed its server recently and it’s faster than ever. :slight_smile:

If there are any statistics for Norton’s speeds and if the London based DNS server provides fast speeds all around the UK, this would be useful to compare with my local ISP’s speeds.

I was not aware that Norton DNS did not protect against phishing. Are you sure about this?

https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/huConfigurePc.do

Montana 1 I never said that Norton DNS didn’t offer phishing protection. Norton DNS blocks malware and phishing. But Norton DNS is not the best compared to OpenDNS when it comes down to phishing protection. Norton DNS won’t block new phishing sites but OpenDNS will (with time Norton DNS will block them).

For Norton speed statistics based on their London server contact them directly.

I’ve since found that it does offer phishing protection after all. :slight_smile:

What’s the difference between speed and other factors of the following from your link?:

Preferred DNS: 198.153.192.50
Alternate DNS: 198.153.194.50

Ah, that must be where my confusion arose, now amended to reflect your updated information.

Open DNS’s free version only blocks a very limited number of malware domains, while their Enterprise version offers good malware site protection.

http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=9465

Both Norton and OpenDNS sound very good. I’ll think this through, but meanwhile, for now, I’ll stick with my current ISP’s DNS server.

Thanks. Will do.
Mod edit: Fixed a quote tag, Captainsticks.

Anyone used this?

It looks very good: