Which laptop?

Hey guys and girls :wink:

Maybe next week or so, I will be getting my new laptop.
I have yet to decide between the new Toshiba Qosmio G50 with the Quad Processor based on the Playstation 3 CELL CPU and the Macbook Pro (default configuration).

They both cost the same in my country.
Looking to the overall features, Iā€™d say that the Qosmio beats up the Macbook Pro. But, in the other hand, I never worked with Mac OSX and I must confess I would like toā€¦

Qosmio - http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/G50/G55-Q802

Macbook Pro

What are your impressions about this 2 laptops, and which ever one I chose, will be a good asset?

I also would like to ask you something about clustersā€¦

I know how to build one and all, but I do have a doubt regardin the different architectures involved. Is it possible to build a cluster using machines with different CPUā€™sā€¦ I mean, I know it is possible, but how difficult would it be, for example, to build a cluster, lets say, between a computer with an Intel CPU and a computer with a PowerPC CPU?

Tell me your thoughts folksā€¦ and thanks in advanceā€¦

Best regards

If your gonna play games, take Toshiba. If your laptop will be used for work and web-browsing - take Mac Book.

Why ?

On a Mac Book you can legally use diffrent OSā€™es. OS X, Windows, Linux. No matter which one. U can have OS X and XP or Vista and use them both. On a PC you can also use Os X, but thatā€™s illegal and you may experience issues :slight_smile:
I like Leopard. Iā€™m planning to completly move to the Mac side, once I configure it properly. Iā€™m not saying Leopard isnā€™t vulnerable - there are viruses for Mac, but a lot, lot less, so any antivirus can handle those :slight_smile: No registry, means no registry cleaning and ā– ā– ā– ā–  like that , when you uninstall, you simply drag the app to the trash can ;D Leopard comes preinstalled with apps that are actually usefull and easy to use. And itā€™s much more actively developed than Vista.
Personally I would go for Mac Book Pro.

Yeah, I know itā€™s possible to run OSX on a non-apple computer as well, but since it is not legal, I havenā€™t brought that up to discussion. There are at least 2 great foruns where people can learn more about that.

I like the Macbook Pro for all the reasons, also those you mentioned. It is just for that price it could just a little betterā€¦ I was hoping that by now the prices would be taken more in account, but I got wrong. Itā€™s the bloody taxes hereā€¦

About the security part, either if I take the mac or the toshiba, I will be running both behind a home-made firewall/router using Linux.

As for the use I will be giving, it will be for gaming (once in a while) and work. Maybe a mixture of both laptops would be neat? :wink: Dream onā€¦ dream on boyā€¦

Perhaps I will be considering the macbook proā€¦ and to be honest I am very found of it, but the new toshiba I talk about has the Quad core processed based on the Cell processor and to work with images and all, it is very great.

I still got some time to think about itā€¦ soā€¦

Thanks for your reply :wink:

Go Mac!!

Then you will never deal with viruses or spyware again =) My sis bought one at the Sydney Mac Show in Australia here (Biggest Mac Store in world!) They are very powerful computers, look stunning.

I want a Mac one dayā€¦ Only down fall is losing Comodo since Mac isnā€™t the type for security protection. :wink: Then again yes you can install different OSā€™s! :slight_smile:

Josh

Oh common, another naive oneā€¦ I thought you could do better Josh ā€¦

Macintosh aint 100% secure, it has itā€™s virusses, only theyā€™re just few. The reason therefore ? who cares about itā€¦ Microsoft has 90% of the market, itā€™s far better to concentrate on themā€¦

I would say, go for the Toshiba ā€¦ itā€™s better supported on programs

Xan

Haha, I would to go for the toshibaā€¦
reasons:

Since Win Vistaā€¦ Microsoft has or going to loose a lot of customersā€¦ where are they going to go ā€¦ Mainly Linux is going to be Number 1, Then Mac,ā€¦ hopefully in my dreams they will go back to the DOS ā€¦ but thatsā€™ just meā€¦

MAC Does have itā€™s ups and downsā€¦ but only reason MAC doesnā€™t have a lot of ā€œSecurityā€ issues because barely anyone pays attention to MACā€¦ so less people = less hackers/virusesā€¦

I always say MAC is only for those who have their ā€œArtistic & Multimediaā€ Wants & Needsā€¦ nothing elseā€¦

On the other hand you can have either linux or windows or even bothā€¦

so thats up to you

CG

No one pays attention to MAC ? 88) It has 7 % of the market share and rising. Linux has only 2-3 %

Artistic & Multimedia" Wants & Needs ā†’ (:SHY)

Yes, but Market Shareā€¦ has money right? if iā€™m correct?
a lot of distros are free?

CG

You wanna say, that in reality Linux has 10 % of market share ? ???

No, I think it Mac has less then 5%ā€¦ So itā€™s not really attractive for the hackers/malwaremakers

Xan

my friend once told me about goodwin laptop
this is the indonesian official page: http://goodwin.co.id.
i canā€™t find any other goodwin comp related stuff on google ???
it offers similar specification with my toshiba U205-S5034 with lower price :-TU

iā€™m a bloody good spammer (:HUG)

Hello there.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Itā€™s just to say that I made a mistake about the Toshiba. I thought that the one I made reference to, was the one with the Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 CPU, but it is only P7350 or something like that. Donā€™t quite remember.

Either way, I donā€™t know if it was an unhappy coincidence or not, but the laptop I am using broke up, just after I started this thread!!! Did it get sad? LOL

Anyway, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll be getting a laptop. I guess Iā€™ll go for a desktop. I might build my own or perhaps get the Mac Pro.

The sudden change is that for the price theyā€™re for those laptops here, I can build my own PC as good as the Mac Pro in terms of hardware and performance. Of course, I would have to give a little more money, but it would be more compensatory than just getting a laptop that doesnā€™t allow to make many improvements.

So, I really appreciate your comments so far, and keep them coming. I might advice one of my relatives to get either the Toshiba or the Macbook Pro.

As for me I donā€™t really care if the mac isnā€™t that addicted to viruses and all, as I will buid a hardware firewall using Linux, soā€¦ and I might even use Linux as the the main system as well. It isnā€™t that important if Windows is the most addicted to virusesā€¦ :wink:

Well, this changes the options if you want a desktop also :Dā€¦

I sujest you take a look in Dellā€™s online shop also, as they give great deals somethings (350 euros discount) and most of the time delivery free :).

Xan

Sorry for just getting back at you just now, but the computer has gone for repair for a few days and just got it back now.

As I mentioned before, I reconsidered and I guess that I will build my own machine. I can get a better one for the same price of an already assembled one.

Tomorrow Iā€™ll research the hardware to build the computer. Itā€™s a list that I had for quite some time now and hopefully the prices droped by nowā€¦ heck is a 6 month to 1 year hardware list lol

Depending on the prices I will or will not build my own computer and get back to the idea of buying a laptop.

And talking about laptops, Iā€™ve been seeing some Sony Vaioā€™s laptops and they seem nice. What do you guys think?

Appreciate all the thoughts so far! :wink:

Well I didnā€™t have much money on hand for buying computers, so I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 (laptop). I really like it, OK for most of everything I do (Iā€™m not a gamer, except for a flash game now and then ;D).

in my country, for a similar specs: Toshiba is cheaper than Vaio :stuck_out_tongue: