Which firewalls are actually worth using?

Please post forum requests here (Gibran will be happy :)):
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7976.0.html

Sonya, thanx…lol. I think I am caught up now… (:NRD)

Expert: “ex” - Former, “spurt” - a drip under pressure.

So, maybe NOT being an expert isn’t such a bad thing? ;D

Totally concur! This is my “classic example” of a firewall that - after a month or so, your computer slooowly goes into the DUMPER! Even a while back, I noticed that the “freeware” version would eventually reduce the best and most expensive computer to the level of a space-heater.

I’ve never ran into this particular beastie - but I’ve run into a few near cousins though. Supposedly (according to the doc’s) they walk on water, talk to the Angels and sit at the Right Hand of God.

OK…

I found it easier to sight-read APL than set some of these bastid’s up. Actually, a SENDMAIL config file is less obstruse… ;D

The big problem being that the setup is so wierd that - God Help You if something goes wrong - it takes blood sacrifice and a divining rod to find out WHICH rule is screwing the pooch.

From what I’m hearing around here, the Comodo offering may well be “the answer to a maiden’s prayer” - a firewall that does its job, doesn’t require you to have a PhD in Rocket Science to set up, and is reasonably non-annoying.

I’m still working on getting enough free time gathered to actually TRY the stinkin’ things!

Question: Does anyone know if the Comodo offerings even THINK about working on Vista?

Jim

CFP V3 will work on Vista. CAVS wil have to wait for its next version, which might be in the second half of this year. I’ve been told the backup works OK, as does i-vault.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

(grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble…)

I’m getting ready to set up a Vista Ultimate box for some testing I need to do - and I was going to take this as a Golden Opportunity to wind these beasts up.

(Sigh…) (:SAD)

Guess I’ll have to wait.

Jim

I used free ZA for years but agree with the impression that it’s becoming bloatware.

Another one I tried and eliminated was the Lavasoft Personal Firewall, because it created problems with my system. Symptoms were multiple instances of Firefox, instances of Firefox still showing in the Task Manager after I closed all the windows, and a system event turning up “Windows cannot unload your registry file…,” I think at shutdown, but that made me nervous.

I feel very pleased with CFP and support through its forum at this point.

da 3 firewalls impresses me most is ZA (paid), Kas (paid) n Comodo (in order of use n quit). and of course they r all worth using
believe comodo will b my everlasting player :slight_smile:

Until Comodo use active content filtering options, IMHO It will never be the best.
Active content is one of the worst things about the 'net. Only one firewall I know does control it. It’s a great strength of the product. Agnitum’s firewall fails very badly in certain other areas, but that’s another story.
I won’t move to Comodo’s offering until it covers what I consider a massive risk to all users.