Which Av would you choose?

Just say the truth Melih. Say - CIS is not ready to be tested, so I’m buying myself unlimited time to make CIS better.

Any AMTSO compliant Testing Organisation using AMTSO best practices can test CIS today! You have my permission!

Read the below:

http://amtso.org/press/20-amtsotestingguidelines.html

“As anti-malware solutions become more complex, many existing tests are unable to evaluate product effectiveness properly, resulting in product reviews that are sometimes incomplete, inaccurate and misleading. The adoption of standards and guidelines is the first stage in an initiative in which members of the industry are collaborating with testers, reviewers and the media in the production of advice that will help customers make better-informed buying decisions.”

Just in case you missed it let me highlight this again:

“many existing tests are unable to evaluate product effectiveness properly, resulting in product reviews that are sometimes incomplete, inaccurate and misleading”

Who said that?
AMTSO.COM

Who is AMTSO?
Its a standards organisation made by all the AV companies and includes testing organisation like AV comparitives, Virusbulletin etc. here is the member list to AMTSO

So what does this mean?

That means even the testing organisations agree with the above statement that:

“many existing tests are unable to evaluate product effectiveness properly, resulting in product reviews that are sometimes incomplete, inaccurate and misleading”

So for me this topic is now closed and look forward to AMTSO based testers doing dynamic tests!

thanks

Melih

Lol I am not saying anything…We all here want to make CIS or the stand alone AV (tho it is not really stand alone but that’s another matter altogether.) As good as it can be even if it is for selfish reasons. So we are all pulling the same way, the point we are are debating is how to pull.

How come your company is not on the list of members seen you think what they are talking about is right, I think it would be nice if you signed up. (That is not a put down or anything just me saying why don’t you join.)

I agree now that they have published the best practices and seems to be a fair one, perhaps we should join. (even though i think their work is already done so don’t know what we would be contributing but worth trying to see…)…

thanks

Melih

Melih please don’t dodge the question I had, I think it’s important to me and alot of other users. :slight_smile:

Hi guys, Melih knows where he’s going and when he wants to get there I believe, if the loyal users of Comodos’ CIS believe in what his initial goal was “A top notch AV by this Fall/09” give them the benefit of the doubt since you’ve all pretty well done so to date and let him prove himself to himself first and then to the rest of us. Everybody involved will win in the long run, give him the time he requested and I’m sure he’ll give these testing organizations a run for the money and in doing so answer and refute all doubts concerning the effectiveness of his product to us his loyal supporters and then any other detractors of their efforts;D
Cheers all and especially Melih :■■■■
Keep the faith and above all the purpose!
Xman 8)

I think sooner or later there must be a breaking point… No tests are “fair” in everyones mind… eg, some companies might think AV-comparatives punish FP’s too hard… Others Might think FP’s do not get punished enough on the scoring board… One might think old samples should count for less… some might think that speed should be a determine factor while someone refuses to test their product since they believe the malware was stopped since it was only partially installed and could not run that well… and so on…

I think some understanding for those organisations that freely tests should be there as well… And comodo could view it as a “detection” test… As it did and it was totaly fine even praised as long as darcjrt and malwareresearchgroup did on demand tests with CIS… I think even you Melih thought this was good way to compare, at least back then… Since the idea was to “see how we compare”

Anyway I respect Melih’s decision either way…

But I still think getting it tested even “only” on demand has relevance as to how good the AV is… Especially if many tests are done by many organizations… Then we will get a good Idea where Detection seems to stand…
Its a Layer specific test… Yes… But it has relevance and will help determine how well this layer (DETECTION) has come so far CIS anyway don’t have that many Detection layers yet, unless you view D+ as one (I at least view D+ as a prevention layer) and CIS would probably not score better if those samples are lunched unless we are testing D+ Ofc, but then again if Comodo has that view on malwares that Antivirus tests should run VS D+ then I think the whole AV was unessesary to start with since D+ catches everything that the av catches and more… The AV didn’t add anything then since D+ already cached and are catching everything added to the AV database AND MORE one way or an other.

I do think we should get data for the “detection” layer as well…

=S Lot of data for D+ already, and I don’t see that CIS needs to continue to prove itself on that front anymore…

Does anyone else feel that Comodo would be in a lot stronger position in pointing out the inadequacies of current testing methodology,if CIS was passing those tests with flying colours? At least when they pulled out of Matousec on a point of principle,it was from a position of top dog.I don’t doubt the sincerity of their beliefs but the perception given is not positive by staying on the outside.

Kyle, I refer you to this post

Pls read it carefully. your question answered in that post.

To expand your question Kyle: “why should users protect their pcs with comodo ANTIVIRUS instead of other solutions? (Not in terms of performance or usuability etc… just detection)”

I thought I had made it abundantly clear there is NO AV product out there that can prevent 100% of the malware. Detection based technologies fail against zero day attacks and that is the problem. So I would NOT personally recommending ANYONE to use just AV as their protection, no matter which AV!

Again,

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE USING AV AS THEIR FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES!

I BELIEVE IN A LAYERED SECURITY AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG WHERE PREVENTION IS THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE!

If you ask me: what I would recommend for your grand father/mother, then I would say install CIS in Parental Mode. They will see no pop up and will be secured!

thanks

Melih

Melih, stand up and hold your ground, prevention above all is the number 1 priority! Your AV is simply a compliment to defense+ but none the less effective in its’ own right.
Go Man!!! swat them!
Xman :-TU
Cheers 8)

Exactly the reason why I don’t use an AV! I’m confident in my ability to answer D+ alerts, the few that I get ;D

No FP’s, and no loss in security - for me anyway :wink:
OK I’m finished with the !ot! now lol

Regards,

Beanie :slight_smile:

Yes Melih, we both agreed on that, but since AV-Comparatives will introduce AMTSO methodology in his future Dynamic Tests [ http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests ], I believe you have a chance to prove yourself.

Also, while I agree that detection based technologies fail against zero day attacks, CIS AV use that old-fashioned technology and I believe it, as one layer of defense, needs to be proved!

I’m not saying to use the top AV from AV-Comparatives that you’ll be safe, but you can use the top line AV together CIS Firewall and Defense+, as much of your user do! If CIS prove itself one of the top AV from AV-Comparatives, many of us will be confortable using the full CIS, AV included.

Avira personal 9 which has one of the highest detection rates and just does a Superb job. I like Cavs it needs quite a bit more work before I switch over to it, once it’s ready that will be my main AV.

Hi Joker, Melih will do the testing only and only if he feels it’s warranted
They know what they’ve got in their hands, but we don’t for all intents and purposes, somewhere sometimes we seem to forget what they’ve done till now and what they have in mind…
;D
Xman 88)

Personally, I think for COMODO to succeed with it’s “Trusted Internet”, it’s products have to be compaired with other likewise products (whether these tests are right or wrong). Lets not forget, the majority of users are NOT technical. So how do we convince these users to use COMODO? Well, comparisons are a good start, word of mouth (i.e IT staff at their work place) or simply googling for a firewall, antivirus, etc.

I would guess most peolpe would ask someone technical in their workplace, ask friends, google for what they are looking for. I recommend CIS to the users at my work and to be honest, they wouldn’t have a clue what I was going on about with prevention, detection, etc. They just want to be protected. So, I use Matosec (you know who I mean ^_^) to show that CIS is a great product (and FREE).

:slight_smile:

I didn’t ask if I could rely on just an AV. I asked why people should use comodo antivirus and not an AV such as AVira\avast!\Avg as a part of their layered approach.

This is a different question than what you asked previously :wink:

****** here is your question from your previous post*****
Can you please answer it in a simple, straight to the point so that everyone can understand - why should users protect their pcs with comodo ANTIVIRUS instead of other solutions? (Not in terms of performance or usuability etc… just detection)

Let me answer this 2nd question: (which is a Layered Security Question and not just a detection question as your first question was).

Depends on what they use as the first line of defense! If they are using CIS, then I would recommend CAV cos they are architected to work together and will cause minimal resource usage and share the whitelist and blacklist db. If you got the prevention switched on, then the AV aspect is mainly for usability (eg: reducing alerts from malware so that user doesn’t have to answer them).

Thanks

Melih

Just uninstalled Avira, i hope we get CIS 3.9 soon where CIMA and BOClean are integrated :slight_smile:

CIMA is not integrated yet. But Memory Scanner is (Boclean like scanner that is much more efficient and architected to work with CIS seamlessly and with minimal resource).

Melih