When will this be fixed?

In “Introduction to the Sandbox” - this post, I saw this:

Global hook and certain COM interface alerts may still occur in version 4.0. Comodo is working on this.

Does a moderator or developer know when this is going to be fixed?

Tooby.

We recently had a heads up from egemen on current developments. Regarding your concern:

We are working on these issues right now. Step by step without scarificing any security, solutions will come.

It has gone beyond the scope of it’s primary purpose which to me was “the firewall” to kill all others free or otherwise, it has deflected away from its true vocation and is no longer a reason for being. I do although admire all the efforts the developers have sunk into this truly marvelous piece of software but it’s become too heavy and over complicated for what it was truly meant to be, a simple default deny firewall. :frowning: Remember it’s not what we want that’s truly important in life, it’s really rather what we really need and the sooner people realize this, the better…
Sorcerer

Comodo is still planning on improving the usability of CIS, but I am not sure when these improvements will happen (probably over the evolution of CIS 4). The usability improvements should get CIS closer to an intuitive, set and forget, simple security suite that anyone can to use (while maintaining advanced options for the power user).

For those who need the v3 like HIPS based Firewall; it is still there.

With v4 Comodo aims at a broader set of users who are not as knowledgeable and interested as the average regular here at the forums. They deserve good protections as well.

It’s not because I know a lot about the firewall I want to do the same thing with a car. Sometimes you want certain things to work without getting under the hood.

Getting under the hood never scared me Eric, I’ve rebuilt Chrysler 440 Magnums & heavier and they fired and ran, but CIS v4 is another beast all together, it has it’s own caveats, I’m 51 yrs old dude and I’ve undressed women that were easier than CIS v4, so CIS v4 to me is a total dud, so get it under your skin…
No disrespect intended other than the bare naked truth…
Sorcerer

I guess I don’t like greasy and oily hands… that’s why it gotta work…:wink:

Thanks for your reply Eric.

Do you know when the next update of CIS is expected?

Tooby

No it’s not

3.14 is the way to stay with if one want that

… without making some important manual changes ; disabling integrated “not–a-sandbox”… and receiving unneeded update “patches” to the latter which will never end; will never work properly and ruining the firewall further & further

Yes, they do deserve it… but if the aim is “less alerts” just wait for enormous amount of infections commming silently with this implementation and the reduced ability to clean those.

Cheers!

With v4 Comodo aims at a broader set of users who are not as knowledgeable and interested as the average regular here at the forums. They deserve good protections as well.

This is nothing but another grand Utopian vision. Like each one from the past or those yet to be devised, it will never live up to expectations.

Take a step back and see what’s happening here. A large number of the problems reported in these forums require customized settings to resolve. Until v4 can recognize the environment into which it is being installed and auto-configure itself, it will be of little use to the “broader set of users who are not as knowledgeable and interested as the average regular here at the forums.” Even the more expert users are having problems.

Jee, you are a true pessimist here… I see no problem in making ïmportant manual changes. That’s a lousy argument as you have always argued you would never use the sandbox and it’s not that many clicks anyway.

Yes, they do deserve it... but if the aim is "less alerts" just wait for enormous amount of infections commming silently with this implementation and the reduced ability to clean those.

Cheers!

Let’s see what the future holds. Neither you nor I can tell. The only I can tell is that I have the impression that there is a lot of thinking going on with Comodo and that the sandbox is only in its infant stages.

Thre is no progress without bold ideas. May be years ago it was thought to be bold to add a HIPS to a firewall? 88) I think 640 kB was not enough…

The only I can tell is that I have the impression that there is a lot of thinking going on with Comodo and that the sandbox is only in its infant stages.

I’m just not sure there is a lot of “thinking through” going on at Comodo.

I have one question to illustrate my point:

How large does the “white list” need to be before nearly all users can be confident that only malicious objects end up in their sandboxes?

very good Question

Let’s suppose for the sake of the argument that at one day Comodo captured all safe programs. The next day a bundle of new trustworthy programs get published. Darn, Comodo didn’t catch them the day they were published… There is a weak spot in the debate about security. In the end there is no absolute security both in the virtual and real world. Do you believe a politician who promises absolute security in the real world? Yes or no will do here.

See the above. According to the video on this page the Comodo white list consists over 15 million files. How much is enough according to you? How big a risk is acceptable to you? Do you think other products can do a better job? If the answer is yes then why are you here anyway?

As you stated earlier:

Let's suppose for the sake of the argument that at one day Comodo captured all safe programs. The next day a bundle of new trustworthy programs get published. Darn, Comodo didn't catch them the day they were published..... There is a weak spot in the debate about security. In the end there is no absolute security both in the virtual and real world.

My question really has little to do with security; it has all to do with usability. Only until CIS stops placing needed files in the sandbox will it become truly user friendly. By your own admission, this seems like a long way off, if ever. The question then becomes, would the less knowledgeable rather deal with a sandbox or Defense+ pop up?

Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I commented and will comment again that to expect a situation where all legit software will get covered is a utopian one.
[/quote]
The question then becomes, would the less knowledgeable rather deal with a sandbox or Defense+ pop up?

Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
[/quote]
The sandbox allows them to run the application, however with restrictions. That surely makes things easier.