What rules should I have for svchost.exe and explorer.exe?

Whenever I restart my computer, which isn’t very often, I receive pop-ups from Comodo Firewall concerning svchost.exe and explorer.exe. So I have allowed them. I also get a pop-up for explorer.exe when a search my computer for a file using Windows Search, which I have set to block and log. My question is, does everyone know a complete set of rules I should have for these two so I won’t be prompted with anymore connection attempts?

Below is a pic of my current rules for them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi (:WAV)

for SVCHOST.EXE , set it to OUTGOING ONLY ALLOW your EXPLORER.EXE

(:KWL) (:KWL) (:KWL)

I have svchost.exe and explorer.exe both set to Outgoing Only, but some people prefer a stricter rule set. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I could set them both to outgoing only, but what about the inbound connection I keep getting from my router, which is DHCP? Should I just ignore it? How am I going to get my IP through DHCP everytime I restart my computer if I set svchost.exe to outgoing only? Pic of this connection below.

Your rule is fine for DHCP especially as you have set a IP range I do not need one as I have set a fixed IP.

Explorer
The 127.0.0.1 is for local traffic.
I block the second does not cause problems it might for you.
Block rule you could remove the IP and make any.
Also have one other because I run a proxy this blocks explorer internet access aswell as the block on port 80.

Dennis

Alright, Dennis2, thanks.

One last question, what exactly is explorer doing when it tries to make a connection to 239.255.255.250 on port 1900?

Not sure will post link here, I am sure it has been explained on the forum somewhere.
Both are for incoming connections but it explains what the address and port is used for UPnP.
Dennis
One
Two

Thanks again, Dennis2.