What is option "Do NOT show popup alerts" for ?

The text at Firewall Behavior Settings, PC Firewall, Firewall Protection | Internet Security v6.2 doesn’t help me to understand what is the point of setting “Do NOT show popup alerts” and leaving the “default response” suboption to its default setting (“Allow Requests”). I hope someone can help me to understand that.

To me that configuration sounds just like the firewall will not prompt me about any connection attempt of any kind and it will just silently allow them all, which to me amounts to having no firewall at all (with the only difference that Windows will not detect that there is no firewall protection so will not warn me about that). I must be really missing something big here (which probably should have been explained or at least hinted at in that help text, whatever that is). So what is it ?

The option is meant to make the firewall as easy as possible; read acceptable for a wider audience.

However, here at the forums we’re not too happy with the default allow of the network firewall. It takes away one layer of protection.

I understand that the purpose ot those settings was to avoid forcing the user to interact with the firewall because that would discourage most users. I also understand very well why you say people at the forums are not happy with that, and I totally agree with them.

However my question was mainly intended to verify my understanding of the real-life effects of these settings, rather than understanding the intentions behind them.
So my only question is, is there any practical difference between having the default settings (that is “Do NOT show popup alerts” plus “Allow Requests”) and having no firewall installed ?

Don’t worry, you’re all right. Comodo - proud of “creating trust online” with the revolutionary “default deny policy” actually will set up the configuration to default allow if you select the wrong options. That’s…
You understood the meaning, you saw the problem - actually this will make only sense if you set up special “block rules” for some critical applications and would like to allow all other (and unknown) requests.
Therefore welcome - we should have more people like you here at the forums.