What is CFP v3?

I can see it now…

PC Magazine News:

Comodo Firewall Pro 3 delayed due to lack of name!

The developers announced that CFP v3 will be delayed until December because a name could not be thought up to reflect the advancements made in their product. “We don’t think the term ‘firewall’ is suitable for our security product anymore… naming takes time – we have to design a logo, make sure the new name displays properly on all [resolutions] and DPI settings…”

[Post a comment] [Subscribe to RSS feeds] [Rate this article] [Digg it!]

interesting point…
if you have malware… then you are not protecting anymore… you are simply cleaning…
and we all know to be clean you must wash! I mean really wash like re-install your OS… cos a new rootkit in your system is not going to be cleaned by any AV out there… So AV does not protect in this sense, cos you already have the malware in your system. Legacy AV simply cleans the mess as much as it can see it (and we all know it can’t see everything)…

So very interesting question of: Why the user gets AV?

I mean there are around 200M machines shipped every year, if they all had our v3 software at the time of shipment, then the need to clean would be very (VERY) minimal…

Our product Protects, rather than Cleans!

Protects        Cleans

Legacy AV No Some
Comodo v3 Yes No

So that means user wanting Protection should look to get our v3 rather than a legacy av product.

Melih

I realize that the protection offered by this method is great, but it depends on one weak link: the user. If the users just click Allow always, then the protection is wasted. It also requires regular maintenance by the user to clear the My Pending Files list. In the right hands CFP is a wonderful tool, but do not forget the need to educate the user, who may not want to spend any time on learning something that they see as irrelevant to them. Even with education, you have to expect that viruses and rootkits will take on names like system file names and be identified as (unsigned) Microsoft files. Microsoft is now adopting a policy of signing all of their own files, but there are still a fairly large number that are not signed. Some are not even identified as Microsoft files. To combat this, a real-time malware identification tool is needed to take the onus off the user for approving files. Only then can you really call this tool an A/V, A/S, Anti-Rootkit etc. tool. As for what to call it, you need to indicate that it replaces a firewall and also offers process level execution control. A name can only be a teaser to make the user want to learn more about it, so it has to have a hook… Comodo System Armor? Comodo Intrusion Detective? Lots of possibilities.

interesting point... if you have malware.. then you are not protecting anymore... you are simply cleaning... and we all know to be clean you must wash! I mean really wash like re-install your OS.. cos a new rootkit in your system is not going to be cleaned by any AV out there... So AV does not protect in this sense, cos you already have the malware in your system. Legacy AV simply cleans the mess as much as it can see it (and we all know it can't see everything)..

So very interesting question of: Why the user gets AV?

I mean there are around 200M machines shipped every year, if they all had our v3 software at the time of shipment, then the need to clean would be very (VERY) minimal…

Our product Protects, rather than Cleans!

Protects        Cleans

Legacy AV No Some
Comodo v3 Yes No

So that means user wanting Protection should look to get our v3 rather than a legacy av product.

Melih

I understand what you mean, but…

To get the scenario you are thinking about, you have to develop a CFP that doesn’t need ANY user interaction at allno pop ups and perfect settings…

In the real world as you know, far from everybody knows for SURE what to allow or not allow when they get a pop up to answer to. That’s why people are gonna get infected, so therefore the need for a find and cleaning program is probably necessary…
As you’ve learned, one thing that A LOT of people complain about is if the firewall have to many pop ups. Because of that, a lot of people set their firewall to the lowest security settings just to get rid of them… So some of them will get infected…

I Think you’re on the right track, but you’re not there yet. Hopefully it will be in a near future…
I also agree that prevention is the most important function of a security program.

Two questions before CFP goes gold: Can we get a more colorful tray icon? I’m not saying use more colors, I’m saying change that white to blue or something less dull, maybe like the banners http://www.comodo.com/images/media/fbannerbig1_sept25.gif, and could we get a tray icon to show when the firewall isn’t fully running? Possibly even with a mouse hover label saying what is wrong or a balloon pop-up to announce if cfpagent.exe dies?

I said it once, and I’ll say it again… Comodo Security Solution

CSS for my computer when it’s done baby!

(:NRD)

How about Comodo Internet Security Manager (with or without the cartoons :wink: )

I like the idea behind this but also keep in mind that if you discard the word “firewall” many users will say, “hey your product rocks, but I’ve been also said that I’m not safe without a firewall, know where can I a good free one?”. So I’d invent a fancy new name, but would leave the word “firewall” in it.

CUPS, Comodo Ultimate Protection System

Jesus Christ! I was not aware of that thread! Why… all… the… NAMES?! LOOOOOOOOOOLWT*! :smiley: Melih you seriously came up with all of those?! Haha! :smiley:

I’ve been reviewing this thread for a while. I’d go with something along the lines of “Comodo Total/Absolute Control”, gibran your “Comodo Beyond Firewall” sounds nice, maybe OD’s “Comodo Global Shield”, but personally I’d just merge its Defense Plus and Firewall components and call it “Comodo Firewall Plus” or “Comodo NextGen Defense/Firewall”(if you’re imagining this product is setting new standards). It really doesn’t need to have an epic name.

I think Comodo NextGen Defense or Comodo NextGen Control would sound best.

ROFL (:TNG)
Here we come Symantec

OD
SOrry Togie But the names are to close for me

People don’t understand anything beyond “firewall”!
Anything else will definitely do harm!

I beg your pardon sir. What does Symantec have on CFP? Nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

This question is for Melih or someone else at Comodo. I came up with a concept/slogan/logo combination. Should I just post it here, or would someone at Comodo like to look at it first. I would hate for someone to grab it and start using it without Comodo’s okay.

COMODO Firewall Pro 3 – Where head meets keyboard thwack

…okay sorry I’ll stop spamming the thread now.

go ahead and post it here. at least you will establish a priority date for this by having it public in a public forum.

Melih

From Québec Canada, for once I give you my humble idea… TOTAL-COMODO.

It is saying everything, no?

Thanks for the great free softwares,
Thanks for this forum!

You see an average user in the main knows AV products…
they think they need AV and thats it to fight baddies
so we must give them a name they can associate with…
Any new name, they won’t understand.

If they are looking for Protection then v3 is the answer…
if their computer is hosed and looking to clean up (then they should simply reinstall OS :slight_smile: ) then get a legacy AV product (or they might even have one hence why they got hosed :slight_smile: )

So we are the Virus Protector ™ Comodo! (eh? )

Melih

[shadow=grey,left]Comodo Firewall Active Defence™
CFAD™
[/shadow]

[shadow=grey,left]Comodo Active Firewall™
CAF™
[/shadow]

Here is my idea. Like it, leave it, laugh at it, I can take it. LOL. I am sure the fonts are wrong, the spacing is wrong, the wording is not quite right, etc. Just an idea.

[attachment deleted by admin]