What is adress 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255? Should these be put to trusted zone?

So what is actually the network zone 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255?

I noticed that they are blocked on continual basis by CIS.

Should I allow them or even put this zone to my trusted network zone?

Hi.

10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 along with two other address ranges 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 are refereed to as private IP Addresses. This actually means that these address ranges are reserved for use on private networks and are not valid on the internet.

Generally people with home and small networks choose addresses from the 192.168 range, you can, however, use which ever of the three address spaces you prefer.

If you are seeing addresses from the 10 range, they are somehow associated with your private network.

Incedentially, there is a forth address space you may see which is 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255. This is used by Microsoft and others for automatic assignment of addresses in the absence of a DHCP server. This process is referred to as APIPA or Automatic Private IP addressing.

Hope this helps

Saw Toggie’s post but mine covers the DUN aspect.

The range 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 is a private IP range (like 192.168.0.0-255). It is sometimes used an LAN range, but most often it is used by operators to define a Dial-Up Network (DUN). If it’s a LAN, then you can trust it. But, if it’s DUN then you should not trust it… if fact, considering it hostile would be best for DUN.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

I’m on LAN not dial up. But I still prefer to let CIS block these address lol.

Will that cause problems if I let CIS to continue blocking these addresses?

I’m not certain what the impact will be, since I’m not certain what the relationship is to the 10.x.x.x addresses. What is the LAN range that you’re using? Can you post a screen shot with a few of these 10.x.x.x blocks as an example? Thanks.

CIS detects my ISP gateway(is this what you call it) as 192.168.100.11.

I have no network at home so I don’t have a LAN address range.

This is what I’m talking about when I wrote that CIS blocking private addresses in the 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 range.

What your seeing is typical DHCP activity, in particular, it looks look like a DHCP offer, but without looking at a capture …

What is your IP address?

My Ip is 118.136.222.27 but it’s dynamic so it’s not fixed.

I would hazard a guess and say these addresses belong to your ISP. Do you connect via a LAN or VPN?

If you open a command prompt and run ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt it will create a text file in the root of your c: drive, which you can post here, if you wish. it will tell us a little more.

That’s…

ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

I subscribe to a cable LAN. So I wouldn’t have to worry about DUN right?

The command didnt’ work it says ‘access is denied’

Funny thing is if I allowed the Microsoft network(an address in this range 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255) in CIS network zone I was getting connection drop every other minutes.

I’m thinking may be I should allow these 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 network range adresseses.

The command didnt' work it says 'access is denied'

Curious. Just out of interest, did you try running the command either with an Administrator account or with elevated rights?

As I said earlier, I strongly suspect these addresses are your your ISP LAN. The entries in the post you made are all related to DHCP.

Try running the command I suggested as an Admin and see what happens.

Running as admin resulted in the same ‘access is denied’ message

Is it safe to create a trusted network for the address range 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 if they are really from my ISP?

if this is not safe how do I make it more safer? Is the request managed by svchost? Can I make the rule to accept these addresses from svchost firewall policy? Will this be safer?

What is the risk if I keep disallowing them?

Running as admin resulted in the same 'access is denied' message

Which version of windows are you running? Also are you sure you are entering the command correctly? Try this:

Open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig [press Enter] - If it works try:

ipconfig /all [press Enter]

It may be that, for what ever reason, you don’t have access to creating files in root, so you could also try.

ipconfig /all > C :\Documents and Settings\ user name \My Documents\ipconfig.txt [Replace user name with your login name]

Is it safe to create a trusted network for the address range 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 if they are really from my ISP?

If we can establish, with out doubt, that these are indeed your ISPs address space, then it will probably be safe to create a new Network Zone for this address space.

if this is not safe how do I make it more safer? Is the request managed by svchost? Can I make the rule to accept these addresses from svchost firewall policy? Will this be safer?

By default DHCP is handled by Svchost.exe. Depending upon your configuration there may be other service requirements also.

Rules can be individually or automatically crafted to handle these situations.

What is the risk if I keep disallowing them?

If your PC/Internet connection is functioning correctly now, then the impact of disallowing these addresses will be minimal. If, however, you suspect problems or if you see strange behaviour, then you may need to reconsider.

Thanks toggie :slight_smile: