What Happened?

Comodo firewall stopped working, on start up it just didn’t open and wouldn’t let me uninstall ???. I managed a system restore and removed, then reinstalled. Still didn’t work. I’m now using Zone Alarm. Anyone know what happened? I would like to go back to comodo as Zone Alarm seems to be slowing things down a little.

Welcome to the forum circlefreak :slight_smile:

If you were using ZA prior to installing CFP, there is a very good chance ZA was not completely uninstalled from your system. Consquently, when you installed CFP It the residue registry/folder entries caused CFP to mis-behave. It’s a well known problem with ZA.

There are lot’s of posts regarding this matter, here in the forums, essentially you need to ensure ZA has been completely removed before installing CFP.

You might want to look at this post:

https://forums.comodo.com/frequently_asked_questions_faq_for_comodo_firewall/i_cant_install_comodo_firewall_pro-t9508.0.html

Hope that helps

Toggie

Just to clarify my understanding…

You had CFP installed, and working just fine. You rebooted (started up for the day), and CFP wouldn’t start, and no clue as to why. You tried to recover by doing an uninstall, did a system restore to get the uninstall and then reinstall to happen. And CFP still doesn’t work. Needing a firewall, you installed Zone Alarm, which is apparently working.

Your question is, why did CFP stop in the first place?

Am I reading your question correctly? And there was no problem with CFP earlier?

Yep, that’s about the size of it. I had to try a few restore points in order to remove it as well. Any ideas? I read somewhere else on here that ccleaner may be the problem. ZA is working fine, I think the slowdown was due to my drive being rather fragmented. I’m loathe to go through the messing around with comodo again.

Usually, if there’s an error with an application, it will be documented in Event Viewer. Go to Start → Run, type: eventvwr.msc and click OK. Then open both the Application and System submenus and look for events prefixed with either a yellow warning triangle, or a white X inside a red circle. Open those of clues.

If there isn’t anything significant in Event Viewer, then I’m going to suggest running a HiJackThis scan, based on these news reports:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/102407-storm-worm-security.html
and

If nothing else, a HiJackThis scan should rule out a malware problem.