What Do You Use to Keep Your Files Safe, and What to Share Them?

Like backup programs and file sharing sites.

To mods: I wasn’t sure whether to post here or in the “Other Security Products” board. You see, it isn’t exactly about prevention/removal programs, but keeping files safe. And file sharing/hosting (like RapidShare :-TD).

I use Live Mesh to backup my docs online…and I also use it to share folders with others to collaborate.

Mesh is always running, and continually backing-up new or updated files (and deleting ones I delete).

I use the Backup and Restore feature in Windows 7 to make backups of my files, and to make images. These go to my 1TB HDD.

To share, I use Windows Live SkyDrive (25GB storage :-TU, 50MB file limit :-TD, and direct links to files :-TU [means you don’t have to go thru other pages to download]).

I don’t use SkyDrive unless I have to use direct links, because of the huge link size. Example: http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pnSJKg5L5JDHnyHmk4zHQktvbCgP-3u8EpgAEoU1R1q5zHS74zt8_Jgj-90SB00o4EMKtclrvrRWXjUcQUeBpCA/Disable_Libraries_in_Windows_7.zip

For regular file sharing, sometimes I use Box.net, and sometimes MediaFire. Depends if they are up. A few times MediaFire is down when I want to upload something…

If I want to send something large, I was planning on trying FileDropper. But right now it is down, making me lose some confidence…

I have used SizableSend once, and it works. http://www.sizablesend.com/

Is there a place where you can keep your videos for free? With no size limitations?

youtube ;D

Very original. The question still stands though.

Do they need to be playable on the site? :stuck_out_tongue: (I mean that you don’t have to download the video and play it.)

I mean to store them like on a portable hard drive. My 320 GB is full, so either I buy another one or I find an online storage and save the money.

Get a 1TB HDD. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine is half-way filled with backups and I-don’t-know-what. Too lazy to clean. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I might sometime soon.

Try these:

http://www.ebucket.net/drive.html

Of course…remote, free storage can go “plop” and you never see that file again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Laser.

I do very little. I have no kind of external drives so about all I do is backup the My Documents folder to a rewritable DvD every so often. I tried out a few free on line storage sites (4shared, Adrive, Humyo, Mediafire) but they are all too slow in uploading and redownloading and with the exception of Adrive which gives you 50gb of free space, they have very limited storage space. Adrive is the slowest of the bunch though, painfully slow in fact. I have a spare 100gb IDE HDD sitting here though and I will be getting an enclosure for it soon. I save no video or music files on my HD, the ones I want to keep get burned to DvD’s and then deleted.

Easiest thing to do is what you were doing before laser. Simply put them on your own (free) hosted site. You can access it whenever you want and nobody knows the link anyway.

Free Website Hosting

cheers,
eXPerience

But be careful - At least on zymic.com, they have a strict abuse team (volunteers). A website used just for file hosting can be deleted…if the files don’t go with the “theme” of the site (like a security site hosting security tools would be ok - random personal files and pics wouldn’t).

Most ToS of free hosts forbid sites just for file hosting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Use Windows Live SkyDrive…25GB. :a0

Does Adrive have direct links?

Try this --I set the file as shared and it’s the XP Media Center theme for CIS

I guess it “sort of” does. :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t have the link ending in .theme though lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then make it a website you use and post on and place the files “in the cloud”.

eXp