What can't I see LAN anymore? It's frustrating as hezel

I’ve kept up with all the updates so I don’t get it.

I’ve used comodo for almost a year and a half and it still works well for the internet but for some reason, I can no longer see any of the 5 machines in this LAN. NONE! And none can see me. I have not changed anything on either computer and my sons computer continues to lose a networked printer. It’s connected direction into the Linksys router.

I’ve added no new software or hardware but locally I’m ■■■■■■■.

I can’t even ping a local 192.168.1.102. (My sons computer) It times out.

That makes me believe Comodo changed someting that is causing my problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Any help?

-Jazhawk

If you disable Comodo Firewall what happens?

Also, post a screenshot of your Network Monitor rules.
You son’s pc is connected directly to the router, that’s what you’re saying? And the printer, is is attached to a computer and shared by it, or is the printer connected directly to the LAN?

No, his computer is connected to the net via wireless connection. The printer is a wired connection to the router so the printer has it’s own IP address.

How do I get the monitor rules to post them?

-Jazhawk

Screenshots:
https://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/screenshotposting_for_beginners-t6770.0.html

If your son does not use Comodo, the problem is in your LAN. Maybe the router i don’t know.

Sorry Comodo! I tried to research around it but kept coming back to it as the problem. Turns out, it’s not at all a Comodo issue, its patience for me and a new toner cart for the printer.

Comodo is still the bomb!

BTW, my son’s computer uses Comodo Firewall as well.

-Jazhawk

Hehe, it happens.
But that’s the printer, it does not explain why you can’t see LAN. Post the Network Rules.

I’ve had the same issue before.

I’ve had to shutdown Comodo, then setup the network printer (connected to another PC on the wireless LAN), find the other computers, then start Comodo again. Otherwise, the wirelessly connected laptop only sees itself on the LAN and the networked printer is not to be found.

Is there an easier way to do this other than shutting down Comodo PF temporarily?

This sounds like it is a case of DHCP address changing after a reboot. So I have to ask the question of, how do you know the IP address of the other computer is 192.168.1.102?

For a Linksys router, you can check the LAN clients list (I think it’s on the Status or the Admin displays) when you log into the router. That’ll give you all the dynamically assigned IP addresses, and will tell you where to ping to see if you really can connect to the other machine.

Wireless connections introduce other problems that have to be resolved first: is the laptop making a connection to the router (meaning, can you ping the router, for Linksys the router address is defaulted to 192.168.1.1). The second question, is if you can ping the router, is it your router? Unless you’re running a secured wireless connection, your laptop will connect to whatever signal it finds the strongest. That could well be your neighbor’s wireless access point.

If your laptop is connecting to your router, and you can’t ping a DHCP assigned address that you know is turned on at that moment, then there might be a CFP firewall question.

All good questions. The router in question is a DLink DI-624/FW 2.50 running WPA-PSK and static DHCP. The printer is attached to one of the computers on the WLAN.

The most recent incident I ran into… the wireless laptop (XP/pro.sp2) had internet access but could not find the printer attached to the main PC… nor could it see the other two computers on the WLAN via Windows Explorer until I stopped Comodo. Then it found everything. I cranked Comodo back up and all was well… printing worked, the laptop could see and access the other computers, etc.

But who knows… my work on it is sporadic (my mom’s laptop) and I could have changed something somewhere along the way without thinking about it and killed the access. Weeks later I might get a trouble call from Mom.

IIRC, in the above incident, I could ping the individual computers and the router, but could not get to them with Windows Explorer or set up the printer until I stopped Comodo.

Too much of this stuff is voodoo to me anyway.

That ping would work, and something else won’t, points to it being a firewall rule problem. Windows file and print shares do a bunch of things in different protocols (a lot in UDP, a lot in TCP, and sometimes some others). The general practice I’ve found, is to have the LAN rules select protocol IP, meaning any of the protocols.

Then from an command prompt, you can enter the command “net view” to see what machine is offering what resource for sharing.

Been too long since I studied network stuff.

So why does it all work ok AFTER I restart Comodo but not before?

re,

just a idea, in comodo settings is a checkmark, block all outbound connections while boot,

in “defense intrusion” tab misc.

might this hungs many windows like dhcp services that afterload when exit comodo ?

however i dont think its a bug, ya just need play with comodo till its doing ya want.

mine gets every better :slight_smile:

Mike

dont bite ifs no touch :slight_smile:

That would seem to imply some kind of memory. A change in arp tables, dynamic rules in stateful packet inspection, phase of the moon… Just guessing.

The computer was booted many times and retained the issue. I always forget the firewall until last for some reason. So I don’t think it was a memory thing.

Just trying to understand why the procedure of terminating the firewall and then establishing the LAN connections, then restarting the firewall makes the connections stay. Or am I the only one this works for?

The fw stops the making of the connection not the use of the connection.

OK. Makes sense.

Is there an easier way to establish those connections other than by shutting down the FW, making the connections, then restarting the FW?

As you can see from my post count I’m at about the same level of COMODO experience as you are. But I think this posting: https://forums.comodo.com/help/new_comodo_fw_user_home_lan_situation-t13269.0.html may help you.

hth

Ed

Thanks Ed. I’ll take a look at that.

Sorry for the late reply. What rules do you guys have for svchost.exe? With a router, you need to allow DHCP. I think it’s UDP, ports 67 and 68. Google is my friend:
First hit - http://www.linklogger.com/UDP67_68.htm
2- Chapter 6 - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol | Microsoft Learn
this one was hand chosen - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia

Does this help? If not, show me the rules for svchost, and the NetMon rules.